Life after Kellogg’s

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I managed about 4 miles total, a couple of steep hills involved, stopped in town for a coffee at Nature's Fare.
good for you JLM...that is just over 8000 steps...mine suck...I had every intention of walking but got waylaid with some neighbours and hung with them instead...my one dessert in two months has turned into two as there were home made squares and I had to have one...only had one though instead of 3. gotta say though...now I want more

Oh! I'm never sure what to believe about honey, some swear by it, others say it's just as bad as sugar. I guess it would be interesting to hear what diabetics say about it. They should know.
you have to discern between processed and natural JLM...if you can go out into nature and get it...the body is happy...otherwise, not so much although our bodies have adjusted and somethings we make are good for us.

As for asking diabetics how honey works, I would caution you on that unless you personally have blood sugar issues. Think of it this way...you are soul who landed in a bag of chemicals which composes your body...you have to put more chemicals into the bag to survive (food)...your body is unique to you so treat it as such when you fuel it. Honey is a natural sugar. It's good for you in moderation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
good for you JLM...that is just over 8000 steps...mine suck...I had every intention of walking but got waylaid with some neighbours and hung with them instead...my one dessert in two months has turned into two as there were home made squares and I had to have one...only had one though instead of 3. gotta say though...now I want more

you have to discern between processed and natural JLM...if you can go out into nature and get it...the body is happy...otherwise, not so much although our bodies have adjusted and somethings we make are good for us.

As for asking diabetics how honey works, I would caution you on that unless you personally have blood sugar issues. Think of it this way...you are soul who landed in a bag of chemicals which composes your body...you have to put more chemicals into the bag to survive (food)...your body is unique to you so treat it as such when you fuel it. Honey is a natural sugar. It's good for you in moderation.

But are not sugar cane and sugar beets natural?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah just like your hero, $210 million dollar golden parachute.

US Home Depot CEO Nardelli fired with golden boot worth $210 million

They should had let me pack his parachute and push him from the plane.. it would have been light.

I think it's high time a ceiling was placed on these Golden Parachutes! $1000 comes to mind. I think in many cases it was these parasites that caused the outfit to founder in the first place. Sort of like setting fire to a building as you run off with all the jewelry! :)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Planted some of that in my flower bed this year. Now what do I do with it?

Q: I have stevia plant growing in my garden. I also read about stevia being a good sugar substitute. How do you use fresh Stevia? Is it the leaves, flowers, stems? Do you use it fresh, dry or cooked? Thanks.

A: The sweetness of the stevia plant lies in its leaves, and you can use it in a variety of ways. I’ve used a fresh leaf right off of the plant in a glass of tea, and it provided just a bit of earthy sweetness. However, the best way to get the most out of your plant is to dry the leaves and make your own powder.

Harvest all of the leaves from the plant and dry them. On a moderately warm fall day, your stevia crop can be quick dried in the full sun in about 12 hours. Just place the plants on a piece of newspaper in an area with good air circulation. A home dehydrator can also be used, although sun drying is the preferred method. I’ve even used the heat of my attic during the summer to speed up the job.

You can crush the dried leaves by hand using a mortar and pestle or using a coffee grinder. You can use the stevia in this powdered form, adjusting the amount you use to achieve the desired degree of sweetness. Keep in mind that stevia is 30 times more sweet than sugar and a general rule of thumb is 1 generous tablespoon is roughly equivalent to one cup of sugar in terms of the level of sweetness.

You can also make your own stevia simple syrup by adding a cup of warm water to 1/4 cup of fresh, finely-crushed stevia leaves. This mixture should set for 24 hours and then be refrigerated. It works perfectly for sweetening beverages.

Dr. Brent Ridge is the health expert for Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia.