Life after Kellogg’s

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Somebody has to fix and maintain the machines. Those would be the people who raise the average to make it look like a box stuffer makes $30 an hour.

Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) 433A Certification Wages, Hourly Wage Rate | PayScale Canada

Millwright, that's far more reasonable. Salary is typically proportionate to responsibility.

The people featured in that news piece were not millwrights. They were the last of a long, long line of people who probably got their job right out of high school. Back in the 60s and 70s, these were the middle class but that's not true today, to earn the kind of money they are expecting they need a more marketable skill set.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's becoming more and more assembly than manufacturing. Parts are sourced globally then assembled in the biggest market areas. It makes more sense to have smaller assembly facilities where or close to where the product is being consumed.
yes....

I wonder what we are going to do with our work forces...things change...what will happen to all of these people as we move forward? How will they support themselves? My city was major industry....now we are all about high tech...city is thriving but it was certainly rocky for a while

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Kellogg's is not and never was a Canadian company. You'd think no one ever lost a job before, sheesh.

The jobs that are being lost in Canada are a direct effect of NAFTA. Kellogg's, Car manufacturing companies moving to Mexico, Domtar Paper Mills, CIL and the list in endless..

I know you don't want anyone to stand in the way of you getting your made in China WalMart goods, but some of us feel that Canadians should be able to earn a living wage, rather than being turned into the Call Center Capital of North America, which it is becoming taking jobs away from India..

Moncton, NB and Cornwall, ON are currently Canada's Call Center Capital Cities.. at least Canadian can speak English, EH? (Call up Sirius Radio and ask the guy where he is)

$30 hr jobs replaced with $11.50/hr jobs.

Well if you want to stoop to $11.50/hr jobs, Walmart is opening a new distribution center in Cornwall, ON.

BTW, Walmart is now paying it's US employees $15/hr minimum, but not Canadians?? WTF??

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You are probably right. I can make several jigs and patterns and with a router , template guides and pivot point attachments I can creates all kinds of furniture of various shapes and designs. But those same pieces I've created with my old school knowledge of woodworking can now be produced in a fraction of the time it had taken me with a CNC "computer numerical control". Folks like me have to face the fact that our craft and our creativity has become obsolete. But I will say this. When I was a young man I made my mother a solid oak headboard. Mom has been gone now for several years and one of my sisters owns the headboard and it looks the same as it did well over a quarter of a century ago. Not sure that tradition will remain in this new "highly specialized" world.
we churn out garbage and we will until our economies turn away from consumer consumption...I think one way or another it will happen...when that happens quality will again become important...but who needs quality when people throw everything out every few years...my generation too...my stuff is old now, it needs replacing but I doubt the new things I buy will last like these have...new, shiny and cheap...it's a "brave new world"...but it too will die and be over taken by something else

sounds like you are quite the craftsman...that's awesome

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
we churn out garbage and we will until our economies turn away from consumer consumption...I think one way or another it will happen...when that happens quality will again become important...but who needs quality when people throw everything out every few years...my generation too...my stuff is old now, it needs replacing but I doubt the new things I buy will last like these have...new, shiny and cheap...it's a "brave new world"...but it too will die and be over taken by something else

sounds like you are quite the craftsman...that's awesome
I was able to raise my family and all of my girls have good educations and are taking care of themselves and their families. In todays world education is the key and my little ones have that and at this point I'm grateful for that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Millwright, that's far more reasonable. Salary is typically proportionate to responsibility.

The people featured in that news piece were not millwrights. They were the last of a long, long line of people who probably got their job right out of high school. Back in the 60s and 70s, these were the middle class but that's not true today, to earn the kind of money they are expecting they need a more marketable skill set.

Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union

They say average is $50K

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was able to raise my family and all of my girls have good educations and are taking care of themselves and their families. In todays world education is the key and my little ones have that and at this point I'm grateful for that.
that is good for you and your girls Ludlow

yes in today's world education is the key...can't do anything now without completion of high school and really college is now a necessity and it won't guarantee a job either...don't know where this will all go but it will work itself out because it has to...I believe we will see a complete shift in how we support ourselves, how our economies function, everything...nothing stays the same

I can't envision how it will turn out that is for our visionaries but it will work itself...we are kind of at that turning point

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Isn't corn a Mexican thing?

Once the ad campaigns wear off people will move away from yogurt and go for the flakes again.

Kellogs should have developed yogurt flakes and kept an antiquated plant running.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Isn't corn a Mexican thing?

Once the ad campaigns wear off people will move away from yogurt and go for the flakes again.

Kellogs should have developed yogurt flakes and kept an antiquated plant running.
too late with the idea, they are already there

Special K® Fruit & Yogurt Cereal | Special K® Cereals

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What a waste of good grain.
ingestion is a waste of calories

first ingredient is rice, third ingredient is sugar... 10 grams of it in a 3/4 serving

fairly gross food to give your kid but we're all in a hurry...why waste time cutting up fruit

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why is everyone in a hurry?

ingestion is a waste of calories? Do you recommend hooping breakfast through injection?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Why is everyone in a hurry?

ingestion is a waste of calories? Do you recommend hooping breakfast through injection?
most mum's work now...everyone's in a hurry....

empty calories are a waste yes...

I prefer a healthy breakfast and no I wouldn't feed that garbage to anyone

but each to his own, we are the guardians of our own health and no one is going to make it out alive anyway

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
ingestion is a waste of calories

first ingredient is rice, third ingredient is sugar... 10 grams of it in a 3/4 serving

fairly gross food to give your kid but we're all in a hurry...why waste time cutting up fruit

Not too much wrong with rice- 11/4 billion Chinese are thriving on it.:)