Life after Kellogg’s

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My mom worked and all six kids had hot breakfasts.

Most people do what they feel like, Pete and some people don't feel like doing f*ck all. My grandmother raised 7 kids with no plumbing and hot water had to be boiled on the stove, but the kids got a hearty breakfast.

you might want to do some research on rice

not Special K?

hmmmmmmm

You trying to depress me? I eat brown rice.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
most mum's work now...everyone's in a hurry....

empty calories are a waste yes...

I prefer a healthy breakfast and no I wouldn't feed that garbage to anyone

but each to his own, we are the guardians of our own health and no one is going to make it out alive anyway
these days it's usually a glass of juice and a couple pieces of toast. not much for eating big in the mornin

or anytime for that matter

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You trying to depress me? I eat brown rice.
lol...no but ignorance isn't bliss...be aware and then choose your poison...like I said, we aren't getting out alive anyway...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
these days it's usually a glass of juice and a couple pieces of toast. not much for eating big in the mornin

or anytime for that matter
I am shocked at my diet recently...I chowed down big time this winter on a LOT of sugar...that spiked my weight...I was already leaning toward the maximum I allow myself...then I just quit being mindful, quit checking the scale and went hell bent for leather on the desserts...had one or two a day... oink

I gained four pounds on top of heading toward chunky...I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but my frame is tiny and it was just too much for my body...

I am back to "healthier" choices... lots of fruit and veggies...and lots of walking and swimming...it takes a lot of effort but truly my energy level about tripled

I use a juicer for fast nutrient with no fiber, a blender for smoothies and then just normal fruits, veggies and lean protein...I feel entirely different

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
lol...no but ignorance isn't bliss...be aware and then choose your poison...like I said, we aren't getting out alive anyway...

There's not a hell of a lot of choice at an affordable price, Sal - for carbs a.k.a. filler you have about 3 choices................spuds, rice and pasta. Pasta is NOT healthy, so should be limited to no more than once a week. 6 days of spuds can get monotonous so that leaves rice. As far as I know brown rice is healthy and provides fibre.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not Special K no. Not sure if it existed back then.

Research the difference between sugars and starches.
Okay...what am I looking for? they are pretty much the same, no...
I don't eat processed food very much anymore...and that includes sugary cereals and I limit my bread/buns.

I don't limit starchy food such as potatoes or veggie/complex carbs though

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Starches are better than sugars. Starches require enzymes to break down and are released slowly. Sugars are an instant hit and that includes fructose.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am shocked at my diet recently...I chowed down big time this winter on a LOT of sugar...that spiked my weight...I was already leaning toward the maximum I allow myself...then I just quit being mindful, quit checking the scale and went hell bent for leather on the desserts...had one or two a day... oink

I gained four pounds on top of heading toward chunky...I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but my frame is tiny and it was just too much for my body...

I am back to "healthier" choices... lots of fruit and veggies...and lots of walking and swimming...it takes a lot of effort but truly my energy level about tripled

I use a juicer for fast nutrient with no fiber, a blender for smoothies and then just normal fruits, veggies and lean protein...I feel entirely different

Easy on the fruit, it has lots of sugar. Heard recently that cherries (if you can afford them) are the healthiest. This thought of food is depressing me, I think I'm going for my walk. (temperature is bearable today).

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Starches are better than sugars. Starches require enzymes to break down and are released slowly. Sugars are an instant hit and that includes fructose.
yes

from what I am reading lately, it would seem that fructose is processed differently by the body than man made sugar too...we are meant to ingest fruit not fruit loops

the problem I have with sugar is it would leave me shakey because it spikes and then plummets...I think I am one of those people who is addicted...I crave it, I have trouble controlling it...I just want more

I could live on sugary treats...

I've only had one dessert in two months...now I don't crave it.
every processed food is full of it...

Easy on the fruit, it has lots of sugar. Heard recently that cherries (if you can afford them) are the healthiest. This thought of food is depressing me, I think I'm going for my walk. (temperature is bearable today).
I'm not a fruit junkie...I'd choose a carrot over an apple...

I force fruit down me...I'm getting better though

I should walk too...not many steps in today....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My kid is a nutritionist and is anti-sugar.

Genetics play a major role in how we digest sugars and starches. There is potential for humans to GMO ourselves to be almost diabetes free.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My kid is a nutritionist and is anti-sugar.

Genetics play a major role in how we digest sugars and starches. There is potential for humans to GMO ourselves to be almost diabetes free.
wtf dude...I am completely agreeing with you today

sugar is poison...no getting around it

the more research I do on sugar, the less of it that I eat...and for me, that is really saying something

but, if you are going to cut out sugar you pretty much have to cut out all processed food...which we should do anyway

it needs to be natural....except for stevia or maple syrup.... who knew but it is the new "go to" because of how the body processes it...just like coconut oil...we were supposed to avoid it...now we are supposed to eat it

things change, our knowledge base alters...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes

from what I am reading lately, it would seem that fructose is processed differently by the body than man made sugar too...we are meant to ingest fruit not fruit loops

the problem I have with sugar is it would leave me shakey because it spikes and then plummets...I think I am one of those people who is addicted...I crave it, I have trouble controlling it...I just want more

I could live on sugary treats...

I've only had one dessert in two months...now I don't crave it.
every processed food is full of it...

I'm not a fruit junkie...I'd choose a carrot over an apple...

I force fruit down me...I'm getting better though

I should walk too...not many steps in today....
I managed about 4 miles total, a couple of steep hills involved, stopped in town for a coffee at Nature's Fare.

smart....and if you choose local...it helps with allergies

Oh! I'm never sure what to believe about honey, some swear by it, others say it's just as bad as sugar. I guess it would be interesting to hear what diabetics say about it. They should know.