Liberal leader Stephan Dion Steps down

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Since only 58% of the eligible voted, and 62% of them did not vote for Harper , Harper is leading Canada with 19% of Canadians 1.6 million voting for him out of 7.5 million circa
well if thats the case. the liberals (or NDPs) should be ashamed of themselves that they didn't get their supporters out. But if they did, well that should tell you something.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
well if thats the case. the liberals (or NDPs) should be ashamed of themselves that they didn't get their supporters out. But if they did, well that should tell you something.

:roll:.....and if the cons had gotten their voters out they would have a majority.

You guys are hilarious.:lol:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Just wondering Soc, how are you feeling after the Libs got smoked on tuesday night?:lol:

Smoked they did, that is a good wakeup call for the Leader in waiting. I personally see this as a good correction like all other corrections, the stock market, the current financial Banking global ruin, these 21 seats lost by the liberals is like the boxer on a 12 round fight and on the 11th round is do or die, and defender Liberals get up, and get up they will. The Liberals are getting an engine change (new leader), just an engine change. Looking at the Mulroney ruins the Conservatives had to get a whole new car…………

Looking at the arithmetic bellow………the regrouping of the Liberals is imminent…..

Quoting einmensch
Since only 58% of the eligible voted, and 62% of them did not vote for Harper , Harper is leading Canada with 19% of Canadians 1.6 million voting for him out of 7.5 million circa

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

You can't assume 100% of the 48% of eligible voters who didn't vote would not have voted for Harper. (I'd like to see Dion debate that statement!)

If people don't vote, they don't count. The only possible assumption about their preferences is that they would have voted along the same lines as the people who did vote.

Harper won the election fairly. He has a minority and people who believe he doesn't have a mandate to be PM are sore losers.

Now would be a good time to join the Liberals, so you can participate in the inevitable leadership convention. That's when Prime Ministers are really elected.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
You can't assume 100% of the 48% of eligible voters who didn't vote would not have voted for Harper. (I'd like to see Dion debate that statement!)

If people don't vote, they don't count. The only possible assumption about their preferences is that they would have voted along the same lines as the people who did vote.

Harper won the election fairly. He has a minority and people who believe he doesn't have a mandate to be PM are sore losers.
Liberals have a hard time accepting the facts...

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Now would be a good time to join the Liberals, so you can participate in the inevitable leadership convention. That's when Prime Ministers are really elected.

I have no problem in respecting the wishes of 143 seats on their political choice.
Two days after the election talk is in the air that there is a possibility of a $10Billion deficit on the way in the next 1 ½ year, that alone is worth keeping in the radar screen….

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Great explanation, Harper is seating on an intersection with an amber light with these numbers………………..I am willing to wait it out in the next 2 years unless some Con scandal comes up that will sink the Tory ship ala Mulroney………….

Good Day to you Socrates. Just curious, but why would you expect another election in two years?
I think this current session will outlast the last one by far, potentially for the full four years unless the
Conservatives call it sooner. It may very well be 2012 before Canada has another Federal election.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
One way or another, the voters have spoken. Not only the 58% that voted, but the other 42%
through their indifference (or laziness, or as some kind of statement, or whatever).

Just over 46% of those that bothered to exercise their civic responsibility voted for the Conservative
Party and that may be less than half....but all the other Party's are not one other party. Depending on
who wants what when, there will be a constant shifting of alliances for the next four years.

When push comes to shove with respect to a confidence vote, we're going to see about 84 Liberal MP's
out for a smoke or otherwise tied up with prior obligations and unable to participate in that vote. This will
go on for years until the Liberal Party becomes financially stable and can afford another election, or until
they are forced into another election by Stephan Harper calling one when he's ready for the next one...
With that in mind, expect a "Confidence Vote" often if Harper feels he needs to past something without
dissention.

The Conservatives with their minority have more seats than the NDP & Bloc & the few Independents
combined, and with that, knowing the Liberals will count heads before a vote and send away as many of
their MP's as necessary to ensure another election doesn't happen, the Conservatives might as well have a
Majority as the result will be the same.

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Earth as one --I didn't assume anything . I simply stated that (about) 1.6 million out of 7.5 voted for Harper. Let's assume that 48% believe that it makes no difference if they vote or not, since the elected government does as it wishes not as the people wish. I'm not plugginfor anyone--but the Green girl told Canadians loud and clear that the IMF(banks) tell Canada what its social programs will and will not be.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think this guy should run:

He has an honest face Canadians can trust :roll:

Does he not remind you of John Wayne Gacy??

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Just a recap once again about the low turnout, it's not much to do with people not wanting to vote or having nobody to vote for, a great number of people were turned back because they either didn't have photo ID or anything noting their perm. address.......

This would have not just affected the homeless of course, but also many natives who live on reserves with no fixed #'d address (Just their reservations name), those who live in rural areas like where I grew up, where our street had no name and we didn't have street addresses on our homes....... and it would have also counted out many university/college students who just moved to study and may not have anything recording their new address, therefore they would have to move all the way back home to vote in their old address, or no vote at all.

And I did see several people get turned away when I went to vote because they didn't have ID with them or they didn't have anything with their current address..... and they stated that they won't be coming back because of the waste of time.

Regardless if they are at fault for not reading what was needed for the election, or if it's the fault of whoever decided this dumbass rule..... it needs to be fixed and quick.

Due to these reports, the amount of people affected, and how big of an issue this ended up being, I don't consider this election a fair one because many were denied their rights to vote due to burocracy BS.

If this stays the way it currently is, then there is a good chunk of our population who is not being heard, and if that is the case, expect even less people voting the next time around.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
If this stays the way it currently is, then there is a good chunk of our population who is not being heard, and if that is the case, expect even less people voting the next time around.

Prax,

You're right - we should be very concerned about this.

I posted a thread awhile back about Voter Caging after reading of shady practices being used in the states to disqualify segments of the population from voting.

If what we've seen happen in this election takes us anywhere near the territory of 'caging', we have a serious problem.

There does need to be safeguards in place so each citizen is is guaranteed their vote and only one vote, but surely we can come up with something actually works?