Let Us Remember 9/11 Victims at 4th Anniversary

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nascar_James

James, while I respect the remembering of those who died on 9/11, I wish Americans would respect the only two real ground zeros in the world. Both are in Japan. "Ground Zero" for years has meant the area of ground at the center of a nuclear bomb explosion where there is total destruction. Tens of thousands of Japanese people were evaporated instantly at the real ground zeros. More tens of thousands of Japanese people were killed further out from the center. More tens of thousands of Japanese people died from the lingering effects of radiation and radioactive fall-out. Japanese people are still dying from the effects of those two awful weapons. Calling the WTO area "ground zero" is a glib insult to the Japanese. IMO.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Japan/Hirosh.html

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Let Us Remember 9/11

We should also remember the first 9-11 on this date. A US-backed coup that brought Pinochet to power and marked the beginning of his US-supported reign of terror is remembered by Chileans every September 11.

While we're at it, let's remember all the innocents that have been killed in alleged retaliation for the 9-11 attacks. Far more of them have died than were killed in the US four years ago, and they were no more at fault than the people in the World Trade Center. They deserve to be remembered too.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
#juan said:
Nascar_James

James, while I respect the remembering of those who died on 9/11, I wish Americans would respect the only two real ground zeros in the world. Both are in Japan. "Ground Zero" for years has meant the area of ground at the center of a nuclear bomb explosion where there is total destruction. Tens of thousands of Japanese people were evaporated instantly at the real ground zeros. More tens of thousands of Japanese people were killed further out from the center. More tens of thousands of Japanese people died from the lingering effects of radiation and radioactive fall-out. Japanese people are still dying from the effects of those two awful weapons. Calling the WTO area "ground zero" is a glib insult to the Japanese. IMO.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Japan/Hirosh.html

Juan, Let us not forget PEARL HARBOR. I agree that many innocent Japanese civilians lost their lives when atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. However, so did many Americans at PEARL HARBOR and the Japanese started the whole thing by attacking PEARL HARBOR almost 4 years prior to the US attack. The US had a right to defend itself, and it rightfully retaliated. The Japanese were playing with fire, and they got burned. They subsequently surrendered.

God Bless America on this 4th anniversary of 9/11

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
James

However you justify or rationalise the nuclear attacks on Japan is irrelevant, my point was simply that calling the WTO site "ground zero" is a gross insult to the Japanese. In the "newspeak" that seems to be growing in America since GW came along, "ground zero" is just one more literary casualty.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
May they all rest in peace.

And just for your info, there is a movie tonight on the Discovery channel of the plane where the passengers fought back. Bring the kleenex cause I suspect you'll be needing it.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Nascar_James said:
#juan said:

Juan, Let us not forget PEARL HARBOR. I agree that many innocent Japanese civilians lost their lives when atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. However, so did many Americans at PEARL HARBOR and the Japanese started the whole thing by attacking PEARL HARBOR almost 4 years prior to the US attack. The US had a right to defend itself, and it rightfully retaliated. The Japanese were playing with fire, and they got burned. They subsequently surrendered.

Answer - up until the day of the Pearl Harbour attack the U.S. was still selling pig iron to Japan for its war efforts. Business as usual. The U.S. remains the largest arms dealer in the world. They still haven't signed a ban against landmines, which kill many civilians every year, long after the wars are over. Bush's response to 9/11 showed his lack of vision or leadership. He turned horrible criminal acts into political opportunity.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

On this, the fourth anniversary of 9/11, I'm just curious, how does it feel?

How does it feel to know that the man you elected to lead us after we were attacked went ahead and put a guy in charge of FEMA whose main qualification was that he ran horse shows?

That's right. Horse shows.

I really want to know -- and I ask you this in all sincerity and with all due respect -- how do you feel about the utter contempt Mr. Bush has shown for your safety? C'mon, give me just a moment of honesty. Don't start ranting on about how this disaster in New Orleans was the fault of one of the poorest cities in America. Put aside your hatred of Democrats and liberals and anyone with the last name of Clinton. Just look me in the eye and tell me our President did the right thing after 9/11 by naming a horse show runner as the top man to protect us in case of an emergency or catastrophe.

I want you to put aside your self-affixed label of Republican/conservative/born-again/capitalist/ditto-head/right-winger and just talk to me as an American, on the common ground we both call America.

Are we safer now than before 9/11? When you learn that behind the horse show runner, the #2 and #3 men in charge of emergency preparedness have zero experience in emergency preparedness, do you think we are safer?

When you look at Michael Chertoff, the head of Homeland Security, a man with little experience in national security, do you feel secure?

When men who never served in the military and have never seen young men die in battle send our young people off to war, do you think they know how to conduct a war? Do they know what it means to have your legs blown off for a threat that was never there?

Do you really believe that turning over important government services to private corporations has resulted in better services for the people?

Why do you hate our federal government so much? You have voted for politicians for the past 25 years whose main goal has been to de-fund the federal government. Do you think that cutting federal programs like FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers has been good or bad for America? GOOD OR BAD?

With the nation's debt at an all-time high, do you think tax cuts for the rich are still a good idea? Will you give yours back so hundreds of thousands of homeless in New Orleans can have a home?

Do you believe in Jesus? Really? Didn't he say that we would be judged by how we treat the least among us? Hurricane Katrina came in and blew off the facade that we were a nation with liberty and justice for all. The wind howled and the water rose and what was revealed was that the poor in America shall be left to suffer and die while the President of the United States fiddles and tells them to eat cake.

That's not a joke. The day the hurricane hit and the levees broke, Mr. Bush, John McCain and their rich pals were stuffing themselves with cake. A full day after the levees broke (the same levees whose repair funding he had cut), Mr. Bush was playing a guitar some country singer gave him. All this while New Orleans sank under water.

It would take ANOTHER day before the President would do a flyover in his jumbo jet, peeking out the widow at the misery 2500 feet below him as he flew back to his second home in DC. It would then be TWO MORE DAYS before a trickle of federal aid and troops would arrive. This was no seven minutes in a sitting trance while children read "My Pet Goat" to him. This was FOUR DAYS of doing nothing other than saying "Brownie (FEMA director Michael Brown), you're doing a heck of a job!"

My Republican friends, does it bother you that we are the laughing stock of the world?

And on this sacred day of remembrance, do you think we honor or shame those who died on 9/11/01? If we learned nothing and find ourselves today every bit as vulnerable and unprepared as we were on that bright sunny morning, then did the 3,000 die in vain?

Our vulnerability is not just about dealing with terrorists or natural disasters. We are vulnerable and unsafe because we allow one in eight Americans to live in horrible poverty. We accept an education system where one in six children never graduate and most of those who do can't string a coherent sentence together. The middle class can't pay the mortgage or the hospital bills and 45 million have no health coverage whatsoever.

Are we safe? Do you really feel safe? You can only move so far out and build so many gated communities before the fruit of what you've sown will be crashing through your walls and demanding retribution. Do you really want to wait until that happens? Or is it your hope that if they are left alone long enough to soil themselves and shoot themselves and drown in the filth that fills the street that maybe the problem will somehow go away?

I know you know better. You gave the country and the world a man who wasn't up for the job and all he does is hire people who aren't up for the job. You did this to us, to the world, to the people of New Orleans. Please fix it. Bush is yours. And you know, for our peace and safety and security, this has to be fixed. What do you propose?

I have an idea, and it isn't a horse show.

Yours,
Michael Moore

would be a lot more DIGNIFIED to quietly remember the victims with RESPECT that they were victims of a tragic outcome of USR policies in the ME. Sadly OBL and his gang of terrorists were allowed to do acts for some time before 9-11...... and it wasn't effectively dealt with by the USG .....regardless of color./flavor.

It might be a lot more DIGNIFIED to examine ......quietly ......how this tragic event came to be.......and the role the US/R has played to foster anger/ terrorism on this planet. It is alot more than a gang of religious fanatics....... * the religious fanaticism is what gives them the drive, motivation, and impotus. It also might be a lot more dignified to QUESTION the USR motives, actions with fervor .........as is done in a true democracy. The victims .....all ..... from 9-11, Iraq etc deserve an honest explanation...... about why politics and POWER is more important than human beings. THAT is what is owed to the victims... still.

Less, noise. pomp and more quiet meditative dignity......as dignified respect is what is called for .......when thinking of 9-11 victims..............(and all other USG victims too). The entire dyanmic is important. (ask any analyst worth his salt ......)

Is the US "safer" four years later??? Absolutely not......as america has unfortunately mishandled this whole terror issue too. It played right into the terrorist hands..........while dancing the political dance of POWER. Let us remember too.........that OBL and others of his ilk are still at large...... and a new generation of terrorist has been created by the US actions......(particularly in Iraq)

And let's NOT be so fecking self oriented and absorbed in the 9-11 memorial/drama/sensationalism........that we forget 3-11 of Spain......and the most recent bombings in London. They are all inter related.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
#juan said:
James

However you justify or rationalise the nuclear attacks on Japan is irrelevant, my point was simply that calling the WTO site "ground zero" is a gross insult to the Japanese. In the "newspeak" that seems to be growing in America since GW came along, "ground zero" is just one more literary casualty.

Let us not forget Jaun, that prior to surrender by Japan, the Japanese were Nazi sympathizers. I see no problem in insulting a Country who attacked us first and to top it off were Nazi sympathizers. I mean who really cares that anyone would be insulted if I use a term where a bunch of Nazi followers met their death?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Let Us Remember 9/11

Where was your invisible man in the sky on that day? or for that matter when Katrina struck?

Some of you americans sure pray/worship a lot to someone who never does anything in return or even make an appearance. When will you get it through your heads, "god" is just a man made myth?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I see no problem in insulting a Country who attacked us first and to top it off were Nazi sympathizers.

hmmm. didn't think you would.

( are Nazi sympathizers a bit like bushregime sympathizers??? seems there are certain similarities there.... :idea:

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
PoisonPete2 said:
Answer - up until the day of the Pearl Harbour attack the U.S. was still selling pig iron to Japan for its war efforts. Business as usual. The U.S. remains the largest arms dealer in the world. They still haven't signed a ban against landmines, which kill many civilians every year, long after the wars are over. Bush's response to 9/11 showed his lack of vision or leadership. He turned horrible criminal acts into political opportunity.

Firstly, the benefits of landmines during a war far outweigh the accidental risk factor by civilians. Warnings are usually posted outlining the dangers of landmines in a given area.

Secondly, President Bush's response to 9/11 has avoided another attack on US soil. Appears to me the fight against terrorism has produced results.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Secondly, President Bush's response to 9/11 has avoided another attack on US soil.

this says that you don't give a sh** if US interests and citizens are attacked outside the US........as long as the mainland is not attacked..........YET.

interesting......but not surprising.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Let Us Remember 9/11

no1important said:

Where was your invisible man in the sky on that day? or for that matter when Katrina struck?

Some of you americans sure pray/worship a lot to someone who never does anything in return or even make an appearance. When will you get it through your heads, "god" is just a man made myth?

The factors that make evil likely are essential to there being a world at all and/or to the excellence of its design. For example, the fact that God made us free is a good feature of the world that we would not want to change. But it means that human beings and Satan who misuse that freedom can cause great misery (example the 9/11 terrorist attacks). In short, any good world would carry with it the possibility of evil. Therefore, if there is to be a world at all and a good world, evil is a likely feature of it, but this does not at all impugn either the power or the goodness of God.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Ocean Breeze said:
Secondly, President Bush's response to 9/11 has avoided another attack on US soil.

this says that you don't give a sh** if US interests and citizens are attacked outside the US........as long as the mainland is not attacked..........YET.

interesting......but not surprising.

I didn't say that I don't care. However, if some countries such as Canada refuse to invest in defense and/or missile defense then they have no one to blame but themselves and especially those who have elected the current government if an attack occurs on Canadian soil. We cannot help those you do not want to help themselves.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Since you brought it up...
But it means that human beings and Satan who misuse that freedom can cause great misery

Some examples of misuse:
The use of DU munitions.
The use of landmines.
Bombing civilian neighbourhoods.
Murdering journalists who report on the above.

While we're talking about your book though, Nascar Nero, how do you reconcile the greed of the Republican/religious right with there being less chance of a wealthy man getting into heaven than a camel passing through the eye of a needle?

I guess, just because we've wandered down this path, why does the phrase, "Render unto Caesar.....", which is widely considered by religious scholars to be an admonition against mixing church and state, ignored so readily by the you and the people you support?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My God! A living, breathing, rightwing, fundamentalist.

Tell me James If God made you free, How come He didn't make the Iraqis free? How come He didn't make the Afghanis free? Did God tell you to bomb Iraq back to the stone age? I won't even mention VietNam.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Reverend Blair said:
Since you brought it up...
But it means that human beings and Satan who misuse that freedom can cause great misery

Some examples of misuse:
The use of DU munitions.
The use of landmines.
Bombing civilian neighbourhoods.
Murdering journalists who report on the above.

While we're talking about your book though, Nascar Nero, how do you reconcile the greed of the Republican/religious right with there being less chance of a wealthy man getting into heaven than a camel passing through the eye of a needle?

I guess, just because we've wandered down this path, why does the phrase, "Render unto Caesar.....", which is widely considered by religious scholars to be an admonition against mixing church and state, ignored so readily by the you and the people you support?

By misuse Rev, I meant the worst degenerates of our society, such as the terrorists.

Now, as for being against mixing church and state, I'm far from being against having an interface between the two. After all, we are living in a Nation under God. We elect the leader that makes these decisions. Come to think of it, not long ago (a couple decades perhaps), Canada also had a strong relationship between church and state. I remember going to publically funded Catholic elementary and high schools. Our schools back then (in Montreal) were divided along religious lines, not along the language lines that divide them now.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
#juan said:
My God! A living, breathing, rightwing, fundamentalist.

Tell me James If God made you free, How come He didn't make the Iraqis free? How come He didn't make the Afghanis free? Did God tell you to bomb Iraq back to the stone age? I won't even mention VietNam.

Everyone has a right to live in a free society. However, when someone comes along and attacks our freedom, such as the terrorists did on 9/11 we then need to act and restrict their freedoms. And restrict their freedoms we did. Our freedom is worth fighting for and we are willing to pay a price to keep our freedom.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
James

I would never say that those who died on 9/11 deserved to die, but what I will say, is that the attacks on 9/11 were the direct result of American foreign policy, or what passes in it's stead. If America had been half as generous with the Palestinians as they have been with Israel, 9/11 would never have happened.