Justin Trudeau to speak on Canadian liberty, politics of fear

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Anti-terror bill a setback for human rights in Canada

Want to feel more secure? Bill C-51, now being examined by a parliamentary committee in three weeks of truncated hearings, aims to establish criminal offences that infringe free expression, unprecedented intrusive intelligence powers, breathtakingly vast definitions of security, unbridled sharing of information and stunning levels of secrecy; all while doing nothing to enhance review, oversight and accountability of Canada’s national security agencies.

The message is that human rights have to give way to keep terrorism at bay. The relationship between the two is seen as a zero-sum game. More safety means fewer rights. Stronger regard for rights leads to greater insecurity.

It is time to turn that around. Human rights do not stand in the way of security that is universal, durable and inclusive. Human rights are in fact the very key. In C-51 we are faced with a set of brand new and significantly revised national security laws that could undermine human rights more insidiously than at any time since the October 1970 invocation of the War Measures Act.

No surprise therefore that an impressive list of former prime ministers and other eminent politicians, intelligence experts, legal academics, human rights groups, commentators and editorials (including in this paper) have raised the alarm that this bill is bad news for human rights.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper disagrees. He insists that freedom and security go “hand in hand.” But his government’s actions fail to live up to his stirring rhetoric.

Nothing illustrates that better than CSIS’ new threat-reduction powers. Preventing terrorism before it happens is obviously a good thing. But this is not the way to go about it.

The bill does not specify what CSIS agents are allowed to do in the name of reducing security threats (notably the definition of threats goes far beyond terrorism to include protests and blockades that are not considered lawful).

We do know that CSIS agents can’t kill, commit bodily harm, pervert justice or violate sexual integrity. That is reassuring, one supposes. But what of all the human rights violations that aren’t on that no-go list?

It doesn’t end there. Bill C-51 authorizes Federal Court judges to approve, in secret hearings, CSIS threat-reduction activities that would violate the Charter of Rights. So much for the notion that the judiciary is to be the guardian of the constitution.

And these threat-reduction powers can be carried out anywhere in the world. If outside Canada, the bill instructs judges simply to disregard foreign laws when issuing warrants.

This approach to national security has been discredited. Allowing secretive human rights violations while fighting terrorism adds up to a heap of injustice. It also generally does nothing to improve security and may, to the contrary, deepen insecurity. More victims, grievances and divisions do not keep us safer in the end. That is why, for example, the director of the CIA and various retired U.S. admirals and generals, among many others, have called for Guantánamo Bay to be shut down.

Also disappointing is the failure to learn from recent examples of the heavy toll of national security gone awry. Two judicial inquiries have examined Canada’s complicity in the overseas torture of Maher Arar, Abdullah Almalki, Ahmad Abou-Elmaati and Muayyed Nureddin. Important court rulings have exposed Canada’s responsibility for national security-linked human rights violations, including two Supreme Court rulings dealing with Omar Khadr. Numerous expert UN bodies have pressed Canada to make changes as well.

Rather than clean up that record, Bill C-51 adds to it. As such, five years from now one can easily imagine some version of a Commission of Inquiry into Certain Human Rights Violations Associated with Covert CSIS Threat-Reduction Activities Abroad.

End runs around the ban on torture, around prohibitions on unlawful arrest and imprisonment, around fair trial guarantees and around protection against discrimination haven’t delivered a safer world.

The best national security reforms would scrupulously comply with international human rights laws and would guard against complicity in abuses by other states. They would be accompanied by a determined effort to remedy past human rights violations and tidy up existing laws and policies that fall short of international requirements. Reforms would be backed up by robust oversight and effective review to make sure obligations are met.

Embracing, not ignoring, human rights is where we need to start — and where we need to end up.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/opin...ill-a-setback-for-human-rights-in-canada.html

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Harper's busted.

“You can dislike the niqab. You can hold it up it is a symbol of oppression. You can try to convince your fellow citizens that it is a choice they ought not to make. This is a free country. Those are your rights,” he said. “But those who would use the state’s power to restrict women’s religious freedom and freedom of expression indulge the very same repressive impulse that they profess to condemn. It is a cruel joke to claim you are liberating people from oppression by dictating in law what they can and cannot wear.”

Justin Trudeau and the niqab - Macleans.ca

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
You know it is really sickening how people want to defend an Ideology of oppression, hate and fanaticism.

On one hand you all want women's rights, equality for women, a woman's right to choose, they you start in with defending Islam.. what a bunch of hypocrites.

Like Hillary Clinton preaching women's rights, while funding her hypocrisy with money from Saudi Arabia and other oppressive nations.

Same with Gay rights, homosexuals should have the right to be married and live in peace in Canada, get the same medical benefits as other married couples in Canada, then you start defending an ideology that would hang them or toss them off a building.

You're all really brave hypocrites with your B.S. sitting behind your PC.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What's funny is that you are confusing people's opinion with changing a law that has nothing to do with what you said.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
What's funny is that you are confusing people's opinion with changing a law that has nothing to do with what you said.

"...right of female Canadian Muslims to wear a niqab."

No my point is to not give any rights to an ideology that opposes women's rights as a whole.

I think JT would like to see everyone in a niqab starting with his wife and mother.

Next thing JT will a agree with is Female genital mutilation and Sharia Law.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

No my point is to not give any rights to an ideology that opposes women's rights as a whole.

I think JT would like to see everyone in a niqab starting with his wife and mother.
You are starting to sound like a fear mongering teaparty Republican from the deep south. Remember Commies? When they ceased to be our Boogie Man, we invented the Muslim terror. The ruling elite know that the sheeple need a Boogie Man to keep them shaking in their boots so they can be easily herded and controlled. Boomer, you are being controlled. I mean, what kind a wuss is afraid of head scarves?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

This is all typical conbot hot air.

First, this only during accepting citizenship not in every day life.

Second, there is no harm or acceptance of anti-woman culture by giving the woman the freedom to wear it or not.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
his little recitation will always be summed-up by this. it will be justine's undoing.

"So we should all shudder to hear the same rhetoric that led to a 'none is too many' immigration policy toward Jews in the '30s and '40s being used today, to raise fears against Muslims today,"

'nuff said about this drama queen.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Justin is now done like dinner. It's all over for this inexperienced loser, his name only got him so far and now it's all down hill for him.

You would think he would know better than to listen to his loser buddy Dion who already lost once.

It's a straight road now to the election for Harper, he's done this many times before and knows exactly how to steer around the rough spots.

I think Justin is still learning how to drive!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Your question and assertion is stupid because it flies in the face of all the evidence found in archaeology, ethnography and anthropology. New evidence emerges almost on a daily basis as to how long people have lived on this continent. You choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit into your ridiculous assertions and beliefs. Next thing you will be trying to tell us is that the Earth is only 6000 years old.

You are a real hoot Cliffy, leaning on elements of your faux-spirituality when necessary, cherry-pick a little scientific components when needed and follow it all up with smearing anyone that doesn't agree with you by labeling them as a bible thumping, Evangelical fundamentalist.

It really is a laugh... But sadly, you are a true believer and there is no doubt in my mind that spend hours each week with a handful of willow branches, self-flagellating in an attempt to whip the whiteness out of you and confirm your status as a Indigenous Leader.

Harper's busted.

“You can dislike the niqab. You can hold it up it is a symbol of oppression. You can try to convince your fellow citizens that it is a choice they ought not to make. This is a free country. Those are your rights,” he said. “But those who would use the state’s power to restrict women’s religious freedom and freedom of expression indulge the very same repressive impulse that they profess to condemn. It is a cruel joke to claim you are liberating people from oppression by dictating in law what they can and cannot wear.”

Justine has put all his eggs in this one basket and in a vain attempt to salvage support, is trying to blur the lines between the niquab issue and women's rights in general.

Interestingly enough, I don't hear much from the women's lobby supporting JT in this effort.

The silence is deafening and this is just another hill that he has decided to die on.

* I Agree - I like whities

* I Disagree - I like brown people

How remarkably myopic of you... Not that it is a surprise

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Harper's busted.

I have a Religious Right to wear a toque in a courtroom but Harper took that from me.