Judge orders Toronto Mayor Rob Ford out of office

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: Ford finds out sometimes good SH*T does happen!

Doesn't Ontario have fixed election dates for municipal elections like Mayors? If he's not allowed to run again until this term is over, then that would seem to be pretty clear. For example, if there were a by-election, the elected candidate would not be Mayor for the next 4 years. They would have to win another election when the current term is up. Of course his lawyer will claim likewise, that's what they are paid for after all.

Yeah, but if Clayton Ruby doesn't even want to venture a guess then I'm not going to presume to have a clue what the law is. If it were up to me, I'd have to say if your seat is vacant and a by-election is being held to fill it - your term is over. But that's just me. Either way can make sense, the lawyers and judges are going to have to figure out what the legal situation is.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Re: Ford finds out sometimes good SH*T does happen!

Yeah, but if Clayton Ruby doesn't even want to venture a guess then I'm not going to presume to have a clue what the law is.

You said " He can run again if he wants. For that reason you can bet council won't call an election, which I believe is an option for them. Pussies." I thought you were presuming...I feel pretty confident that the interpretation of "the current term" as the judge stated is the term that ends when the next regular election is decided. The legislation isn't that vague, and neither was the judge's language. Time will tell though.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
London, Ontario Mayor Joe Fontana Won't Step Down

The Mayor says he understands Londoners are not happy.

A motion asking Mayor Joe Fontana to step aside while the courts deal with three charges against him is bound for a full council vote.

The motion, tabled Monday afternoon by councillor Joni Baechler at the meeting of the city’s Finance and Administrative Services Committee, passed by a vote of 3-1.

Councillors Baechler, Nancy Branscombe, and Paul Hubert voted in favour.

The lone dissenting vote was cast by councillor Denise Brown, who questioned the motion’s legality.

Mayor Fontana did not vote, citing a conflict of interest with “an abundance of caution.” He left the committee room before the debate and vote.

As she tabled the motion, councillor Baechler told committee members doing so was “one of the most difficult” things she’s done in her time on council, and her intention was not to make a judgement on Fontana’s guilt or innocence.

The motion will be voted on by full council at its December 11th meeting.

However, even if it is approved by a majority of councillors, Fontana is under no obligation to remove himself from the Mayor’s chair.

At a news conference last Thursday, he emphatically said he would not step aside while he fights charges of fraud under $5,000, breach of trust by a public officer, and uttering forged documents.

The charges were laid after an RCMP investigation, and relate to a $1,700 cheque given to the Marconi Club for a deposit on the hall rental for the wedding reception of Fontana’s son.

more

Fontana Won't Step Down - Blackburn News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Was listening to AM 640 today (something I wouldn't normally recommend anyone do), and they were saying there's a low chance an appeal would be granted as it's been tried two or three times already and failed.

This decision will likely be final, but you never know. If this goes to Superior court then Harper's crony judges may bail him out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You don't like Oakley Dokely?

Is there something wrong with the water supply in GTO?

Were you surprised by the decision to remove Mayor Ford from office?
No
15.0% Yes
85.0%

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You don't like Oakley Dokely?

Is there something wrong with the water supply in GTO?

Were you surprised by the decision to remove Mayor Ford from office?
No
15.0% Yes
85.0%

I know it's politically incorrect (sensible) to do so but all one has to do is watch Ford for 15 seconds and you know he's not playing with a full deck. He acts like an immature 12 year old. Stamping on the other teams jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I know it's politically incorrect (sensible) to do so but all one has to do is watch Ford for 15 seconds and you know he's not playing with a full deck. He acts like an immature 12 year old. Stamping on the other teams jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The most exercise he's had all year.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Something about this Ford situation was on the radio earlier this morning as I was
doing a parts run. The commentator made an interesting comment that seems to fit
with many of the statements in this thread so far. It went something like this:

"If they couldn't beat Ford at the polls, then they had to beat him in the courts."...&
then he expounded upon the Judge being technically correct in enforcing that law.

Funny how it comes across that the city council seems to be afraid to have Ford run
in a by election, isn't it? If he's the unpopular buffoon that many portray him to be, then
why worry about Ford being able to run? I know next to nothing about Toronto politics,
but this smells wrong. Either Ford is the knob people say...so let him run & lose, or he's
not and is being railroaded as opposed to allowing the majority vote him back in. Just
doesn't seem like democracy is being allowed in this situation. Am I misreading this?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When in politics, the laws regarding conflict of interest are clear. It is also clear that when
such issues are alleged, the person who is at the center of the alleged conflict must leave.
They do not participate in the discussion and they do not vote on the issue before the
elected body looking into it. Ford did both apparently. Therefore he left himself wide open.

At the time those involved were not asking for his resignation they were determining what
should be done about paying the money back to the lobby that gave him the money.
Once he did not leave and participated in the discussion the rules of the game change as he
is in violation of the lobby act. In today's world that usually means you resign. Now Ford is
not the brightest guy to start with, he is arrogant and rude, he is flamboyant and not totally
with facts in hand on the issues. In short he has made himself a target. Ford as I understand
it won his election with a bigger mandate in the suburbs and the inner city never cared for
him at all. If he were to run again, the inner city would come out to dump him and his vote is
likely to decrease in the Burbs. Ford should look at political reality. It is time to go and let
a serious person manage the affairs of the city.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Something about this Ford situation was on the radio earlier this morning as I was
doing a parts run. The commentator made an interesting comment that seems to fit
with many of the statements in this thread so far. It went something like this:

"If they couldn't beat Ford at the polls, then they had to beat him in the courts."...&
then he expounded upon the Judge being technically correct in enforcing that law.

Funny how it comes across that the city council seems to be afraid to have Ford run
in a by election, isn't it? If he's the unpopular buffoon that many portray him to be, then
why worry about Ford being able to run? I know next to nothing about Toronto politics,
but this smells wrong. Either Ford is the knob people say...so let him run & lose, or he's
not and is being railroaded as opposed to allowing the majority vote him back in. Just
doesn't seem like democracy is being allowed in this situation. Am I misreading this?

I think stamping on Calgary's sweater kind of confirms your first suspicion!

When in politics, the laws regarding conflict of interest are clear. It is also clear that when
such issues are alleged, the person who is at the center of the alleged conflict must leave.
They do not participate in the discussion and they do not vote on the issue before the
elected body looking into it. Ford did both apparently. Therefore he left himself wide open.

At the time those involved were not asking for his resignation they were determining what
should be done about paying the money back to the lobby that gave him the money.
Once he did not leave and participated in the discussion the rules of the game change as he
is in violation of the lobby act. In today's world that usually means you resign. Now Ford is
not the brightest guy to start with, he is arrogant and rude, he is flamboyant and not totally
with facts in hand on the issues. In short he has made himself a target. Ford as I understand
it won his election with a bigger mandate in the suburbs and the inner city never cared for
him at all. If he were to run again, the inner city would come out to dump him and his vote is
likely to decrease in the Burbs. Ford should look at political reality. It is time to go and let
a serious person manage the affairs of the city.

Yep an I.Q. of about 3.5!-:) He should just sit back and enjoy his fat pension.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This kind of justice should have been served a long time ago. :)

Yeah, what a bastard! Using City Hall stationary to raise money for inner city kids to play football. The only thing worse would be if he'd raised money for some god awful hobby like curing cancer. What a bunch of crybaby's on the left. Too bad there wasn't some spunk on a dress then the Judge could know what really feels like to be Kenneth Star.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This decision will likely be final, but you never know. If this goes to Superior court then Harper's crony judges may bail him out.
Setting up the excuses already?

Way to get a jump on it, lol.

Yeah, what a bastard! Using City Hall stationary to raise money for inner city kids to play football. The only thing worse would be if he'd raised money for some god awful hobby like curing cancer. What a bunch of crybaby's on the left. Too bad there wasn't some spunk on a dress then the Judge could know what really feels like to be Kenneth Star.
Funny, one of Ford's loudest opponents at this site was crying about him turning down Fed money for inner city kids.

Fords attitude rubs people the wrong way, I can fully understand how and why he developed the attitude.