Judge orders Toronto Mayor Rob Ford out of office

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: Ford finds out sometimes good SH*T does happen!

You want that "lean and hungry look"............cheaper to maintain them! -:)

The appeals could drag out to the Ont SC or even the SCoC- But Ford screwed the pooch- He knew the rules and got caught-

The next election date is 2014 - and he was not banned from running for office.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

The appeals could drag out to the Ont SC or even the SCoC- But Ford screwed the pooch- He knew the rules and got caught-

I thought if he was removed from office, it would carry a 7 year ban from public service?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I thought if he was removed from office, it would carry a 7 year ban from public service?

The Judge could impose a ban- but that would have been overkill in this case. Overturning an elected official-removal from office is not done on a whim. But he broke the law- one he should have known after so many years in office.

Ford has been the author of most of his problems.

If the appeals drag out- and they could expect him to run and he could win. TO will not entertain another Miller and taxes thru the roof.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

I'm pretty sure I read that the Judge said he didn't know the rules and got caught. Should have had better legal advice, willful blindness etc. etc., which is why he didn't get the 7 years. He can run again if he wants. For that reason you can bet council won't call an election, which I believe is an option for them. Pussies. :)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Toronto won the Grey Cup and lost its mayor. On balance, just another day.
PS
Owned a Ford once; was glad to get rid of it!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Mayor Ford’s removal arose from bad law, even judge agrees | canada.com
Excerpt from the Judge's ruling:
So, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has been given the boot from office because an opportunistic citizen hired a smart and politically savvy lawyer who found a club of an arcane statute with which to tie the hands of a judge who was willing to play ball.
That’s the short and dirty version of the bombshell that has dropped.
There was “absolutely no issue of corruption or pecuniary gain” on Ford’s part, Ontario Superior Court Judge Charles Hackland wrote in a decision released Monday.
In other words, this isn’t analogous to the cases involving other Canadian mayors where the allegations are about corruption or the countenancing of corruption — Joe Fontana, of London, Ont., who is facing fraud charges, and refuses to step down; Laval’s Gilles Vaillancourt, who quit earlier this month after a witness at Quebec’s corruption inquiry testified the mayor took kickbacks on all construction contracts; Montreal’s Gerald Tremblay, who resigned Nov. 6 amid accusations he had turned a blind eye to the corruption that was purportedly all around him.
To quote Judge Hackland again: Mayor Ford’s case, by comparison, “involved a modest amount of money which he endeavoured to raise for a legitimate charity [his football foundation], which is administered at arm’s length through the Community Foundation of Toronto.”
Furthermore, as the judge also noted, when Ford insisted on speaking to the original motion at city council — the integrity commissioner Janet Leiper had suggested council ask him to repay the $3,150 given to the foundation by donors he’d approached using city letterhead — he was trying to clear the air “in circumstances where many informed commentators would contend that the principles of procedural fairness…should have allowed him to speak (although not to vote).”
The Mayor did, notoriously, vote for a motion that rescinded the order to repay.
As the judge said, his speaking and voting “was far from the most serious breach,” but removal is mandatory unless the breach was inadvertent or by reason of an error in judgment.
Ford’s own testimony at trial made it clear it wasn’t inadvertent (he said he came to that meeting with the intention of speaking, on principle if you like) or an error in judgment (or that if it was, it was his fault for either not knowing or ignoring the rules). Besides, the judge said, Ford showed “a stubborn sense of entitlement [concerning his football foundation] and a dismissive and confrontational attitude” to the integrity boss and council’s code of conduct.
The mandatory removal required — under Section 10.1 of the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act — makes the statute an ***, as the judge himself acknowledged.

The underlined explains it all............

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Irrelevant. Ford was removed, that makes so many 'left leaning' citiots happy.
I'm almost willing to bet that the city council, will not call an election, choosing to appoint instead, because Ford said he was gonna run again, and they would be scared to have him win again....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm almost willing to bet that the city council, will not call an election, choosing to appoint instead, because Ford said he was gonna run again, and they would be scared to have him win again....
Depends on whether or not he can have the order stayed until his appeal is heard.

I can hear the screaming from the left now, lol.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I read that the Judge said he didn't know the rules and got caught. Should have had better legal advice, willful blindness etc. etc., which is why he didn't get the 7 years. He can run again if he wants. For that reason you can bet council won't call an election, which I believe is an option for them. Pussies. :)

The judge said he can't run in the current term. A by-election called before December 2014 is...within the current term. Correct?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Confusion around when Ford can run again

By law, Hackland could have barred Ford from running again for office for a period of up to seven years.
The judge did not place "any further disqualification from beyond the current term." That wording, however, has caused much confusion.
Alan Lenczner, the lawyer representing Ford, told CBC News in an email the mayor can run in a byelection if one is called ahead of the 2014 municipal election.
Clayton Ruby, the lawyer representing the complainant in the case, was less certain.
"I haven’t the faintest idea," Ruby said when asked for his definition of "term." "That’s a municipal law question and there are guys who spend their life on that. I’m not one of them."

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Ford was a buffoon. I say good riddance. You break the law, you pay the price. He did it to himself.
That said, by the time his appeal is heard, his term will probably be near an end anyway.
The city chose him as mayor only because he was the best of a bad bunch.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Depends on whether or not he can have the order stayed until his appeal is heard.

I can hear the screaming from the left now, lol.

From what I heard and read today, it's perfectly normal to stay the decision for an "agreed" upon time. And he can appeal. He has been a bit of a dunderhead. Hope he just leaves quietly without taking any more falls on the football field - he could get hurt......................not.

Somehow I be doubtin it.

I'm a bit to the left, and ain't screamin. He's too far away to give a shi t about. McArsehole on the other hand......................Man has he ****ed the province. Closet con. Gotta be a closet con.

The judge said he can't run in the current term. A by-election called before December 2014 is...within the current term. Correct?

Nope. Once he's out, term is done. Sun and CBC says that as long as the judge didn't specifically say he couldn't run. He can.

Judgey did ponder it, but decided it was a bit onerous for such a tiny infraction....................lol.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The exact wording:
Disposition
[60] For the reasons set out above, I have concluded that the respondent contravened s. 5 of
the MCIA when he spoke and voted on a matter in which he had a pecuniary interest at the
meeting of Toronto City Council on February 7, 2012, and that his actions were not done by
reason of inadvertence or a good faith error in judgment. I am, therefore, required by s. 10(1)(a)
of the MCIA to declare the respondent’s seat vacant. In view of the significant mitigating
circumstances surrounding the respondent’s actions, as set out in paragraph 48 of these reasons, I
decline to impose any further disqualification from holding office beyond the current term.
[61] Accordingly, I declare the seat of the respondent, Robert Ford, on Toronto City Council,
vacant.
[62] Recognizing that this decision will necessitate administrative changes in the City of
Toronto, the operation of this declaration shall be suspended for a period of 14 days from the
release of these reasons.

You can read the complete decision at the bottom of.......
Mayor Rob Ford will fight removal ruling 'tooth and nail' - Toronto - CBC News

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Don't know, IANAL.
Doesn't Ontario have fixed election dates for municipal elections like Mayors? If he's not allowed to run again until this term is over, then that would seem to be pretty clear. For example, if there were a by-election, the elected candidate would not be Mayor for the next 4 years. They would have to win another election when the current term is up. Of course his lawyer will claim likewise, that's what they are paid for after all.