Jim Flaherty is dead

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Thank you Jim, you brought safe harbor economically for Canada.

You had a human side rarely seen in public by a politician , recalling your words towards Rob Ford. Or more your lack of words.

Canada owes you much, thank you so much.

I feel bad he never got to enjoy the rewards of his devotion to his public service in retirement.

To his family, thank you as well.

RIP

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Gawd the fawning around Flaherty is positively stomach turning.

Flaherty was the 'muscle' the 'hit man' behind two of the most odious governments in Canadian history. The absolutely rancid Mike Harris administration in Ontario.. who sold off crown jewels of public property.. in parts of Ontario Hydro and its public roads system.

And the Free Market besotted Harper regime. The latter has disatrously compromised Canada's economic future as it has sold out to Wall Street and Global Investment Organism and fatally undermined Canadian sovereignty and any kind of integrated industrial economy on which to rely.

Well with all the grovelling servitude to International Financiers Flaherty expected a big cheque for loyal service from Bay Street. But dropped dead before he could cash it. Thems the breaks.... if you sell out your country.. there's no guarantee the ilk of Global Trading Oligarchs will pay off. If you put in with gangsters, you shape your destiny by their 'omerta' and code of honour.

The death of the middle class, the destruction of the workplace, the polarization of wealth, the de-industrialization of Canada into a colonial supplier of raw materials, the inability to create jobs for young people sufficient to begin families and buy homes. That's Flaherty's and his cabal's legacy.

Either he was a shill for the global trading, monetarist and investment leviathon.. or he was deluded and incompetent.. those are the only two choices i see. He didn't 'save us' from the Global Crisis of 2008, which was only first of series of economic shocks to come.. he layed us prostrate before its sword.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew.
Exactly right...and many people wondered as well. I certainly did especially after Jack.

Flaherty was prescribed steroids for a skin condition known to increase the risk of stoke.

What Is Bullous Pemphigoid? Jim Flaherty's Skin Condition Explained

Prolonged use of steroids increases risk of heart attack. Medical science will either cure you or kill you.
yes and it's why his face was often puffed out as though he had gained weight

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gawd the fawning around Flaherty is positively stomach turning.

Flaherty was the 'muscle' the 'hit man' behind two of the most odious governments in Canadian history. The absolutely rancid Mike Harris administration in Ontario.. who sold off crown jewels of public property.. in parts of Ontario Hydro and its public roads system.

And the Free Market besotted Harper regime. The latter has disatrously compromised Canada's economic future as it has sold out to Wall Street and Global Investment Organism and fatally undermined Canadian sovereignty and any kind of integrated industrial economy on which to rely.

Well with all the grovelling servitude to International Financiers Flaherty expected a big cheque for loyal service from Bay Street. But dropped dead before he could cash it. Thems the breaks.... if you sell out your country.. there's no guarantee the ilk of Global Trading Oligarchs will pay off.. if you put in with gangsters, you shape your destiny by their 'omerta'.

Either he was a shill for the global trading and investment leviathon.. or he was deluded and incompetent.. those are the only two choices i see. He didn't 'save us' from the Global Crisis of 2008, which was only first of series of economic shocks to come.. he layed us prostrate before its sword.

Red given because that is all this post is worth. Memorial thread, nuff said.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Red given because that is all this post is worth. Memorial thread, nuff said.

Some cold hard reality about Flaherty's agenda is needed.. given the maudlin sentiment.. for a 'great' Canadian.. that is packaged as apologetics for his disastrous stewardship of the Finance portfolios. He was a very average man, in a job that required some vision and courage.. rather than capitulation. Sad, but that's the way i see it. :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Some cold hard reality about Flaherty's agenda is needed.. given the maudlin sentiment.. for a 'great' Canadian.. that is packaged as apologetics for his disastrous stewardship of his portfolio. He was a very average man, in a job that required some vision and courage.. rather than capitulation. Sad, but that's the way i see it. :)

Start a new thread.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The thread's title is 'Jim Flaherty is Dead'.. not Jim Flaherty RIP.. or memorial thread. You start a new thread.. if you want nothing but salivating, saccharine sentiment.
You have been here long enough to know it is a Memorial Thread. If you wish to speak ill of the dead take it to another thread

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You have been here long enough to know it is a Memorial Thread. If you wish to speak ill of the dead take it to another thread

You got that right Goober, Jim's respect went far beyond political lines or stripes- he served ALL Canadians well.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Commons suspends, reports have Flaherty dead | CP24.com

RIP Jim. One wonders if the resignation was too late for his health.

Pretty much I guess.
All that really really nice pension money get put into general revenues ??

I read the article on Flaherty's skin disease and man I feel even worse for the guy. Sounds as though he was in a great deal of pain.

No more pain than he caused Ontario.
Never saw a deficit he didn't love.

Nobody stated that Harper was lying. I clearly said there was no reason to believe that he is lying.

There's always every reason to believe Harper is/was lying.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Gimme a smilie Nug!

*muttering fer fukksakes this better work*

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's always every reason to believe Harper is/was lying.

No more than any other politician and possibly less than most!

The thread's title is 'Jim Flaherty is Dead'.. not Jim Flaherty RIP.. or memorial thread. You start a new thread.. if you want nothing but salivating, saccharine sentiment.

O.F.F.S. it's not a time to get tied up with semantics!