Jim Flaherty is dead

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I think your comment here can be viewed as you accusing Harper of lying without reason. Perhaps you should clarify your wording?

I guess. I am simply saying that there is no reason to doubt him when he says that.

No his comment is just plain Bornruff; looking for argument where there was none to begin with.

Lol, you chose to respond to my post and say you disagreed with me, and now you have made two posts complaining about me. It seems like you are the one who wants to bicker.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Regardless this is a Memorial thread.
He gave years of service to the country and my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Lol, you chose to respond to my post and say you disagreed with me, and now you have made two posts complaining about me. It seems like you are the one who wants to bicker.

No Bornruff, I didn't want to bicker. I just said it didn't surprise me. You said it was a surprise to you. But that wasn't enough, it suddenly became a debate for you.

I'll leave it at that.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
No Bornruff, I didn't want to bicker. I just said it didn't surprise me. You said it was a surprise to you. But that wasn't enough, it suddenly became a debate for you.

I'll leave it at that.

I can't really go on without pointing out that you are still encouraging more bickering.

But anyways, no, this is what you said "I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew." Which is a different statement.

I simply pointed out that from what I know, this does not seem to be the case. There is nothing to indicate that people expected him to die now or anytime soon. At least for me, when I hear that someone has died, if I don't already know, I am often interested in knowing if it was something that the family expected or not, so it seemed worthwhile to try to correct that.

Going out of your way to point out that you thought he was going to die doesn't really seem to add much to a memorial. When you hear that someone had died, is your first thought usually "I called that!".

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Last edited:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
At Question Period the opposition were tough on him but he stood his ground and came back with quick witted and funny answers.

One of the few Conservatives who had a soul and defended his constituents, his party and his government. True to his family, a diplomat, statesman and a great asset to all Canadians from coast to coast to coast.

I will miss him greatly.

Jim Flaherty R.I.P.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
He was a good man.
Like others I suspect he may have been more unwell than was generally known.
To pass a mere month or two after retiring is simply tragic.
My regards to his family and friends.
He served well.

Politically I think he was one of Canada's better finance minsters.
I thought both Flaherty for the Con's and Martin for the Lib's took on a tough job during a tough time and did the job without complaint.
They could have both made a ton more money in the private sector.
Thank you.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I can't really go on without pointing out that you are still encouraging more bickering.

But anyways, no, this is what you said "I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew." Which is a different statement.

I simply pointed out that from what I know, this does not seem to be the case. There is nothing to indicate that people expected him to die now or anytime soon. At least for me, when I hear that someone has died, if I don't already know, I am often interested in knowing if it was something that the family expected or not, so it seemed worthwhile to try to correct that.

Going out of your way to point out that you thought he was going to die doesn't really seem to add much to a memorial. When you hear that someone had died, is your first thought usually "I called that!".

Of course you can't.:smile:

At Question Period the opposition were tough on him but he stood his ground and came back with quick witted and funny answers.

One of the few Conservatives who had a soul and defended his constituents, his party and his government. True to his family, a diplomat, statesman and a great asset to all Canadians from coast to coast to coast.

I will miss him greatly.

Jim Flaherty R.I.P.

Well said Liberalman.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Whoa..........teach me for not listening to the news. To me, this was a shock even though I knew his health wasn't good. He was a good and decent man and I would add my condolences to the family and his friends. I am sure he will be missed by many.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I read the article on Flaherty's skin disease and man I feel even worse for the guy. Sounds as though he was in a great deal of pain.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Watching CTV coverage of Mr Flaherty's death.............just realized he was born the same year I was, 1949.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Imagine the pain and he never showed it once.

Well I have a similar skin condition in my hands that flares up from time to time. It's not eczema, but an infection similar to this. I attribute it to handling fuel, but no one is really sure. I can tell when I get it, it is extremely painful. Also treated with steroids.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well I have a similar skin condition in my hands that flares up from time to time. It's not eczema, but an infection similar to this. I attribute it to handling fuel, but no one is really sure. I can tell when I get it, it is extremely painful. Also treated with steroids.

I have Lupus and use hydrocortisone creams
1 thing to watch for is thinning of the skin.
Steroid Creams Can Help with Skin Inflammation but Are Not a Cure | Mayo Clinic News Network