Is it wrong to call or name a person or persons coloured

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Castor canadensis and Castor fiber are known for building dams, canals, and lodges homes. This water dwelling rodent has been referred to as the beaver which I find completely inappropriate and somewhat sexist. I move that we abandon this name and stricken it from all books, periodicals, and Hinterland Who's Who vignettes.

Meet the Vagina Squirell

As an individual of the female persuasion I do appreciate the sentiment, but I feel if we are going to remove anything from our history of Hinterland Who's Who it should be "The Woodchuck"! I swear it was the only damn one they ever showed on my television set when I was a kid and 30 odd years later (God, it's depressing to say that!) I still hate it.

Also, while we're revising (and for no particular reason) I say we should bring back Peter Puck!

Great, now there's coffee in my lap top!!!

Luv you too Bear! :)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Seriously though.

WTF is it with people trying to sanitize history?

This is the same kind of bull that brings about Kangaroo Courts like the HRC and threatens free speech at its core. This new wave of politically correct numb skulls are no different than the self righteous groups who wanted books burned because they were blasphemous.
It's an "activist-compliance cycle". As coined by an author at "Classical Values" .com.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Personally I find all this mention of slavery and poor treatment of Natives hurtful to me and my children can I have it stricken from the record. (Insert sarcastic emoticon)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Seriously though.

WTF is it with people trying to sanitize history?

This is the same kind of bull that brings about Kangaroo Courts like the HRC and threatens free speech at its core. This new wave of politically correct numb skulls are no different than the self righteous groups who wanted books burned because they were blasphemous.
If they erase all traces then it doesn't exist, right?

It's specious reasoning at it's finest.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As an individual of the female persuasion I do appreciate the sentiment, but I feel if we are going to remove anything from our history of Hinterland Who's Who it should be "The Woodchuck"! I swear it was the only damn one they ever showed on my television set when I was a kid and 30 odd years later (God, it's depressing to say that!) I still hate it.

Also, while we're revising (and for no particular reason) I say we should bring back Peter Puck!

Luv you too Bear! :)

How much wod did that woodchuck chuck?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: Is it wrong to call or name a person or persons colored

I tend to be white in the winter and very brown in the summer. ;-)

No where did the Troll from down under go to - I know that down under they also have problems with frogs - Oh Oh - No not those frogs - real frogs - the poisonous types. Could they have interbred?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

history has bloody nothing to do with the present use of that bloody word Coloured

You've got a lot of hip-hop or rap performers using the N-word (either with the letters 'er' or 'a' at the end of it), and I find that word a lot worse than Coloured.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

No where did the Troll from down under go to - I know that down under they also have problems with frogs - Oh Oh - No not those frogs - real frogs - the poisonous types. Could they have interbred?

I think you're talking about Cane Toads. Invasive species. Cane toad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Karooseun

Aug 6, 2011
Australia

please make comments re this derogatory term,as for me i think that it is, and should be erased from the history books
clearly you are confused and short of memory. Your op - ps how many history books have you read, 1?
crap

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Down here...

Colored People.... No/bad/politically incorrect

People of Color...Yes/good/politically correct

Kind of humorous.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Colored people started as a derogatory term people of color wasn't but I'm sure will be considered derogatory in due time.

I wasn't kidding when I said this topic is a tar baby.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yup... you can say "people of color" all day, but if you say "colored people"... look out!

It's stuff like that that just removes all credibility from "political correctness". Can't imagine what the problem or shame is with just being "black". :smile:

Colored people started as a derogatory term people of color wasn't but I'm sure will be considered derogatory in due time.

I wasn't kidding when I said this topic is a tar baby.

You ever sleep, Petros? Sign of a guilty conscience. :smile: