Is a fetus a Human being?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well exactly, I've generally been a person to try to mind his own business when it comes to other people's affairs, but I feel we are on a slippery slope with this one. There valid reasons for abortions- my wife had one 26 years ago, to save her life as a result of a tubal pregnancy. She was treated like a pariah where she had it done- Catholic run hospital on Vancouver Island. Anyway I have to consider my own conscience and whether I want to be part of a society that sanctions the termination of a human because of someone's convenience or lack of planning. We'll think nothing of spending $100000 to keep an 80 year old person with all organs and the brain failing, alive..........where's the justice?

I'm sorry to hear that, and those nuns, nurses, doctors, and Preists back then should have given their head a shake. A tubal means the baby dies regardless, with the very good possibility of taking the Mother with it when the tube bursts. Tubals are one of the very few reasons for having an abortion.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The rights argument goes both ways. Should a baby lose its right to life just because society believes that the mother reserves the right to terminate it? So what about the baby who could be born any day? Do we reserve the right to reach in and snap its neck because the mother doesn't want it? What's the difference between that and after he's born?
No one has a late term abortion for anything other than serious medical issues involving either the mother or the fetus. The suggestion that it's used for simple birth control is a fabricated myth.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yeah, anyone with half a brain will know that a pregnant woman isn't going to
get a 'late' abortion for convenience sake, what's the point there, she could
have the abortion very early on. Kreskin is right, late abortions are done because
of serious problems with the pregnancy, either with the woman or child, and those
are serious decisions to be made by the mother to be, and anyone who would accuse one of doing it for convenience, must give their head a shake.
It would be a rarity.
It's amazing to me how people are so quick to jump into someone elses life, and
decide what is best for them, without knowing circumstances, the judge and jury,
seems like the old west before law and order was established, a posse, then a
hanging party.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The government could raise all the unwanted children in residential schools so they can be placed in the military. Then they can send them over to foreign lands to be killed.
And all the kids who are born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or addicted to Crack and Crystal Meth they could just turn them out onto the streets and let them kill themselves off.

The ones that are emotionally traumatized and turn into ax murderers, we can fry their asses in an electric chair or by lethal injection.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm sorry to hear that, and those nuns, nurses, doctors, and Preists back then should have given their head a shake. A tubal means the baby dies regardless, with the very good possibility of taking the Mother with it when the tube bursts. Tubals are one of the very few reasons for having an abortion.

Absolutely no problem with the Doc, but one nurse in particular treated her like a piece of crap, very rough with her when she was in a great deal of pain.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I personally am not against abortion under the following conditions.

1. Abortion is not done at taxpayers expense more than once per individual.

That's about all I object to, other than that it is a women's right to have a abortion.

I was just trying to get a scientific answer to a emotional issue.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I read a news article in the China Daily last week, a man was trying to get a divorce because his wife, who was pregnant when they married, was carrying a baby that was not his.

The divorce was rejected, because she had had an abortion in the mean time, and therefore his reason for wanting a divorce was no longer valid.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Only persons have rights.

Like I said, at one time if you were black you weren't considered a "person". Just because the "law" does say they are aren't a "person" at this time doesn't make it right anymore than the law not recognising blacks as a "person" made it right back then.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Like I said, at one time if you were black you weren't considered a "person". Just because the "law" does say they are aren't a "person" at this time doesn't make it right anymore than the law not recognising blacks as a "person" made it right back then.
Well then get the constitution to include the unborn as persons and then they have an undeveloped leg to stand on. Until then the abortions are legit in the eyes of the law whether it's moral or immoral. Oh while you're having the constitution adjusted have them drop corporations as persons or return the definition to mean only natural persons.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well then get the constitution to include the unborn as persons and then they have an undeveloped leg to stand on. Until then the abortions are legit in the eyes of the law whether it's moral or immoral. Oh while you're having the constitution adjusted have them drop corporations as persons or return the definition to mean only natural persons.

The constitution does not need to be changed.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
One can feel pretty confident with suggesting something they know would never happen. Politicians don't like the abortion issue. Simple as that. Not even when the science of it says that humans are humans from the embryonic stage onwards. They simply don't have the balls for the issue.
If they did have the balls, they'd at least quit sticking ads on tv that denigrate their opposition and put ads on there educating people about the issue. But, they won't even do that. As I said, they don't give a crap about people unless people force them into it. (I'm generalising, of course. There are a few who do have concern for people).