How to raise kids not to be racist

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
A great many I've talk to have.

It will, but not in the way you're thinking is my guess.

You don't know what I'm thinking. But little things happen to those who have a chip on their shoulder, I've had several cab drivers sent back to the end of the line in the bull pen to sit for another 4 hours without a fare, just because they were idiots. Sure they can get their government handouts but they won't make in a higher end business climate, they'll more likely end their working careers saying, "fries with that?". Or else they will be the ones being chased around by investigative journalists asking them about their latest scam for which they've been outed.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Meanwhile we Canadians are all upset over something that happened 100 years ago.

The Battle of the Somme?

Kids have to learn to be racist. Seems to me the way to teach them not to be is to omit teaching them to be racist.

That would be ideal if racism didn't already exist. Kids still pick up on racism in our society even if they aren't explicitly taught it. They need to be explicitly taught anti-racism and have role models to look up to.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The rest of the world thinks your a bunch of pussies.

That would be ideal if racism didn't already exist. Kids still pick up on racism in our society even if they aren't explicitly taught it. They need to be explicitly taught anti-racism and have role models to look up to.

Who's going to teach the kids not to be racist when all the progressives self extinct?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Role models are usually the parents first. Then when they become a teenager, anybody but their parents. If as a parent you don't practice it, you have a good shot at kid not picking it up. Of course, kids can pick up anything. Look at the ones walking around with pants down to their ankles. They weren't taught that.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
It's a first world problem. No one else in the world has time to worry about something as irrelevant as racism.

'Scuse me? Racism is a sort of tribal thing, and you can't tell me Hitler didn't cause a big ruckus over it. Saddam didn't gas a bunch of Kurds because he was an equal opportunist. The Hutus and Tutsis may have been the same colour to us but not to each other. Japanese and Chinese? WWII? Racism takes on different forms, but it is not irrelevant.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who's going to teach the kids not to be racist when all the progressives self extinct?

Progressives won't self-extinct.

Role models are usually the parents first. Then when they become a teenager, anybody but their parents. If as a parent you don't practice it, you have a good shot at kid not picking it up. Of course, kids can pick up anything. Look at the ones walking around with pants down to their ankles. They weren't taught that.

Which is really my point. Kids may pick up racism even if their parents aren't teaching them. And if their parents are racist, they might reject it. That's why the solution needs to be societal and not just relying on parents. We all need to set a good example for children.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
'Scuse me? Racism is a sort of tribal thing, and you can't tell me Hitler didn't cause a big ruckus over it. Saddam didn't gas a bunch of Kurds because he was an equal opportunist. The Hutus and Tutsis may have been the same colour to us but not to each other. Japanese and Chinese? WWII? Racism takes on different forms, but it is not irrelevant.

We have a population problem, we are burning the earth down for every resource we can get, and you're worried about some ****ing war 100 year ago? If anything we can argue war serves a nessesary evil of thinning out the population. It's a natural nessesary phenomenon. Or are you arguing the destruction of the planet is a better alternative?

It's as natural as different wolf packs fighting over territory.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
We could even argue that international competition like the Olympics is Racist. The idea of racism is irrelevant. It's for people who have absolutly nothing to do better then to stick their own ginguet up their own noses and pretend like they are better then what they really are.

We don't have a population problem.

Obviously, :roll: 7 billion people is not a population problem.

It's a huge population problem.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, I'd say discrimination on the basis of nationality is far more common than on the basis of race. Same with discrimination on the basis of language. I'm not saying that racial discrimination is not a problem. It is, and it's a big problem. Just that some forms of discrimination are far more common than racial.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, I'd say discrimination on the basis of nationality is far more common than on the basis of race. Same with discrimination on the basis of language. I'm not saying that racial discrimination is not a problem. It is, and it's a big problem. Just that some forms of discrimination are far more common than racial.

OK, don't teach those forms of discrimination either.

If you teach anti-racism though, those other forms of discrimination may follow, seeing as they have similarities.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Family and competition for resources is the root of racism. It can't be eliminated. It's in our DNA

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
All hitler was trying to do is get more recources for his family "country". And he lost giving North America more resources for our family. "Country"

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
All hitler was trying to do is get more recources for his family "country". And he lost giving North America more resources for our family. "Country"

So how do you explain racially exogamous marriages? Unless you meant in your DNA?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
So how do you explain racially exogamous marriages? Unless you meant in your DNA?

I explain it by saying that it's been frowned appon for thousands and thousands of years.

The fact it's been like that naturally is a good indication it's natural behaviour from normal instinctual parts of our brain.