Herman Cain could be the Republican nominee for President

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I thought he was the most interesting candidate at the debate. I sure was onside with his thoughts on the downsizing of government and letting the individual states have even more authority. I suppose he doesn't have a hope in hell of winning though.

I gotta say that the so-called front runners like Perry and Romney leave me cold. I don't like politicians who look like they came out of some mold and care more about having big white smiles, hair sprayed dos and such than what is actually happening in their country. I am also very leery of politicians who are tight with religious groups - there should definitely be separation between churches and the state and some of these people are waaay too cozy with them,IMHO.

I just hope that whoever does win the presidency, he/she will finally get the US back on track fiscally.

Have also often wondered why US elections go on for what seems like years. Don't it's citizens get to the point where they just start tuning it all out? I know I would. I must say I do like our system better though I know many here would probably disagree.

Who ever wins the Presidency hopefully will get us back on track. It will have to someone strong and capable in order to take on the Republican and Democratic corporations.

Our elections used to last for a long time when horseback was the mode of travel. it has now just become a big party. What I like about our system over yours is that we only have two or three parties seriously running. Plus we vote directly for both the Senate and the House.
[/FONT]

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Intersting numbers out today from the new CBS poll

Cain is out front, Romney is in a statistical tie but Perry has fallen to just 6% (and Bachman is at 2%). The caveat is that 80% of voters are not firmly decided on which candidate is theirs. I'm glad to see Perry falling off, although Republican strategists are saying both he and Bachman are still in it because they are polling well in Iowa. This whole caucus/primary system of selecting the candidate is confusing as hell to me. I can understand the need for regional input but spreading it out like it is just seems like it draws out the process more than it needs to (and thus expends more resources?).

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
How's your Carl Sagan obsession?

Under control until you mentioned him. Now I have to drink.

What's up Walter. Post a global cooling story. Get the co2aid swillers wound up. Kiss my carbon footprint.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

As long as there are Republicans who believe Barack Obama isn't a natural born citizen, those Republicans will indeed be racist. And hey, that's like forty percent of likely Republican Iowa caucus goers.

Let's see that same pollster (Rasmussen Reports) just a week or so later.

US President 2012

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I find this very funny. When Obama was elected, many of the republican/conservatives were saying he got elected because of white liberal guilt. Now they are presenting an even blacker dude of their own. Looks very opportunistic, cashing in on Obama's success at the last election. Imagine, Republicans pulling a Democrat stunt. There really is no end to the slime in politics.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I find this very funny. When Obama was elected, many of the republican/conservatives were saying he got elected because of white liberal guilt. Now they are presenting an even blacker dude of their own. Looks very opportunistic, cashing in on Obama's success at the last election. Imagine, Republicans pulling a Democrat stunt. There really is no end to the slime in politics.

So you don't think it is time for a Black man to become President because of his merits. Herman is much more qualified than Obama was when he first ran. The only one's cashing in on the job is President Obama and his wife with here government credit card.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So you don't think it is time for a Black man to become President because of his merits. Herman is much more qualified than Obama was when he first ran. The only one's cashing in on the job is President Obama and his wife with here government credit card.

You missed the point. I don't care who becomes president. I was just pointing out the irony I see. And I have not seen a single first lady in my lifetime that people didn't complain about their extravagant spending. Why should Michelle be held to a higher standard than any Republican First Lady?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You missed the point. I don't care who becomes president. I was just pointing out the irony I see. And I have not seen a single first lady in my lifetime that people didn't complain about their extravagant spending. Why should Michelle be held to a higher standard than any Republican First Lady?

The only one I heard about was JFK telling Jackie O. to cool it on the pricey dresses. Even though she was crazy wealthy, now she was using the people's money.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Me? I'm not the one fixated by tea bags.

That's you.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/hot-topics/71961-im-here-im-queer-get.html

You were saying ....

Back on topic:

The bottom line for Cain as to why he will not likely be the Republican candidate is because of his bigoted comments about Islam and because he clearly lacks sufficient knowledge of the Constitution as shown in his rant this past summer:

Herman Cain strives for new levels of anti-Muslim buffoonery - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

And just one last point: Republicans criticized Obama for his supposed ''lack of experience'' as making him unfit for the White House. If that idea is correct, then Cain is far less qualified for the job.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Has there ever been a president who held the office, lost it and returned to it?

If not then they were all first timers and thus inexperienced, at least in their first term.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Has there ever been a president who held the office, lost it and returned to it?

If not then they were all first timers and thus inexperienced, at least in their first term.

I believe it was President Cleveland who fit that bill.

As far as I'm concerned, lack of executive branch experience means nothing - an opinion which, it appears, squares with your viewpoint. However, as you know from reading my posts over the years, I have repeatedly challenged Republicans to apply their standards on a consistent basis. This is something they NEVER do. They harangued Obama for many months on this issue. I have yet to hear so much as one of them make the same assertion about Cain.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
[/FONT]

Past republican as well as democratic first ladies actually did some good, some have even made us proud of what they did. Michelle Obama is actually ripping us off with all her little jaunts. She has no control over her personal spending habits.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
She has no control over her personal spending habits.

We have had a couple of earlier threads which prove she spent considerably less than her Republican predecessors. As usual, this has gone unnoticed by those on the right.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I believe it was President Cleveland who fit that bill.

As far as I'm concerned, lack of executive branch experience means nothing - an opinion which, it appears, squares with your viewpoint. However, as you know from reading my posts over the years, I have repeatedly challenged Republicans to apply their standards on a consistent basis. This is something they NEVER do. They harangued Obama for many months on this issue. I have yet to hear so much as one of them make the same assertion about Cain.

For starters, Herman Cain has confounded the Republican elite. The former pizza magnate, Navy mathematician, and talk radio host with no political experience jumped into the presidential race with both feet way back in January and has never looked back.

herman cain - Yahoo! Search Results