Hands free driving legislation

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I had forgotten about the Pinto. If somebody rear-ended you, there was a good chance the gas tank would be ruptured. The Corvairs had a Volkswagen type swing-axle that some people thought was dangerous.
... among other things:

Corvair's single-piece steering column could impale the driver in a front collision, leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez, the heating system force fed fumes into the cab (gasoline burner heater), etc. lol

We had a friend convert his into a water-cooled mid-engine (small-block Chevy) with the normal water heater. That improved the car tremendously.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
... among other things:

Corvair's single-piece steering column could impale the driver in a front collision, leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez, the heating system force fed fumes into the cab (gasoline burner heater), etc. lol

We had a friend convert his into a water-cooled mid-engine (small-block Chevy) with the normal water heater. That improved the car tremendously.

I have never figured out why they went to an air-cooled engine and if it had to be air-cooled why didn't they simply copy the Volkswagen engine?

Small block Chevy in a Corvair.....I could imagine how that would improve a lot of things...;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have never figured out why they went to an air-cooled engine and if it had to be air-cooled why didn't they simply copy the Volkswagen engine?

Small block Chevy in a Corvair.....I could imagine how that would improve a lot of things...;-)
It did. Handling, acceleration, deceleration, heating in the cooler times of the year (this was also a disadvantage in the warmer times of the year, though).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Exactly. They are antonymous of each other.

JLM, I doubt one could pay too much attention to driving, but I think one could pay too much attention to aspects of driving. Like looking in the mirrors too much or at the dials in the dash, for instance. Both are a part of driving but one's eyes need to be constantly moving from mirrors to gauges to road to traffic to checking blind spot and so on.

Thanks Anna, I think I got all that after 47 years of driving. The biggest problem with drivers they are mainly in too much of a hurry and are almost always 5 or 10 minutes late leaving for their destination. If I have somewhere important I have to be at a certain time I've always more or less followed the rule of thumb of giving yourself enough time to change a flat tire.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks Anna, I think I got all that after 47 years of driving. The biggest problem with drivers they are mainly in too much of a hurry and are almost always 5 or 10 minutes late leaving for their destination. If I have somewhere important I have to be at a certain time I've always more or less followed the rule of thumb of giving yourself enough time to change a flat tire.
(Well, you asked :) )

Allowing time is a good idea.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Put that small block Chevy in a Volkswagen. A friend of mine did... wow!

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That is a good object lesson for those nuts who think pick-up trucks are sports cars. GM lost billions building a car (the Corvair)that handled better than any pick-up.
That was because people believed the BS spewed by a n utcase that didn't have a clue what he was talking anout. It was pretty sad. The Corvair was a great 'fun' car.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We better get back to the topic or Ron will get cranky like in the coyote thread.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. Lack of proper attention to driving is, I bet, the biggest single factor in crashes.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
We better get back to the topic or Ron will get cranky like in the coyote thread.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. Lack of proper attention to driving is, I bet, the biggest single factor in crashes.

But there are a lot of factors that could result in the 'lack of proper attention, not just cell phones.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
409? How did he keep the front end down? I have seen 283's and 327's mounted midships and one with a Buick V6 rear-mounted and mated to a Corvair transaxle. Even that one was scary steering....

I've seen a fully blown 454 mid mounted in a toyota wagon. looked like the total axle length was like 6 to 8 inches per side when looking at the ass end of that puppy. I think the 1/4 mile times were well under 10 seconds.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Back in the 80s, I remember going to the races at Shubenacadie, there was a woman with a Honda Prelude that had two engines, one front for the front wheels, one rear for the rear wheels.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I agree with this, I can barely walk and talk on a cell phone, at the same time. I can't imagine people like me driving. I've walked into oncoming traffic!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I agree with this, I can barely walk and talk on a cell phone, at the same time. I can't imagine people like me driving. I've walked into oncoming traffic!

and I'm just gonna leave this one alone.