Hands free driving legislation

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hope that wasn't your vehicle, Cliff.............:smile::smile::smile:

That is a good object lesson for those nuts who think pick-up trucks are sports cars. GM lost billions building a car (the Corvair)that handled better than any pick-up.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Isn't the problem that people expect a vehicle of any kind to drive itself ?

To some extent certainly. A few years back I had a pick-up truck pass me in a tightening corner. The truck leaned, went up on two wheels, and rolled. The only thing the guy did right was to have his seat belt on.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Then it made sense.

No. I made sense of it in spite of your dopey wording.

" There is already a law against driving with undo care and attention." There is no law like that. There is a law against "driving without due care and attention" but the wording is a bit complicated for some.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
No. I made sense of it in spite of your dopey wording.

No, you only think you did. That is only because you have so little respect for the others that post here that you would assume that they would have difficulty. I on the other hand, realize that everybody else got it. They are not as easily confused as you since the term undue care and attention is quite commonly used.

Is there a point to your pedantic ramblings?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
'without due care and attention' would mean not using the care and attention that was needed for the task at hand.

'with undue care and attention' would mean performing the task with care and attention that was not needed for the task at hand, and would normally be interpreted as using MORE care and attention than was necessary.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
'without due care and attention' would mean not using the care and attention that was needed for the task at hand.

'with undue care and attention' would mean performing the task with care and attention that was not needed for the task at hand, and would normally be interpreted as using MORE care and attention than was necessary.

I'll buy that BUT when it comes to driving, do you think it would be possible to take too much care and pay too much attention?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Nobody should drive while using anything but a totally hands free cell phone. Both hands on the wheel, 10AM and 2PM.

Except of course if your reading morning paper, putting on makeup, talking amongst people in car, entering thoughts in laptop etc.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
To some extent certainly. A few years back I had a pick-up truck pass me in a tightening corner. The truck leaned, went up on two wheels, and rolled. The only thing the guy did right was to have his seat belt on.
Perhaps putting the seatbelt on wasn't the right thing. Perhaps letting nature take its course would have fulfilled something Darwinian. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Exactly. They are antonymous of each other.

JLM, I doubt one could pay too much attention to driving, but I think one could pay too much attention to aspects of driving. Like looking in the mirrors too much or at the dials in the dash, for instance. Both are a part of driving but one's eyes need to be constantly moving from mirrors to gauges to road to traffic to checking blind spot and so on.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Nobody should drive while using anything but a totally hands free cell phone. Both hands on the wheel, 10AM and 2PM.

Except of course if your reading morning paper, putting on makeup, talking amongst people in car, entering thoughts in laptop etc.
If you are driving a tank, sure. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ford had a better idea: Buy a Pinto and they'd pay for the cremation.

I had forgotten about the Pinto. If somebody rear-ended you, there was a good chance the gas tank would be ruptured. The Corvairs had a Volkswagen type swing-axle that some people thought was dangerous.