Hands free driving legislation

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I had a guy cut into my lane in front of me today with no signal. When I got up beside him, he had a big honking sandwich in his hand, I guess they should start making hands free sandwiches as well....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think you should modify that to if you have ANYTHING in your hands other than parts of the vehicle you are driving, you should get fined.

The problem right now is cell phones. Maybe they could combine it with the law about smoking in the car when children are with you.
I once read a list of things other than alcohol that impaired your driving. One of the worst things was eating a Big Mac while driving.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The problem right now is cell phones. Maybe they could combine it with the law about smoking in the car when children are with you.
I once read a list of things other than alcohol that impaired your driving. One of the worst things was eating a Big Mac while driving.

Yeah, the Big Mac would make you puke and then render you unconscious.

Glad to see you around, juan. Come up with some recipes for hands free burgers..
:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, the Big Mac would make you puke and then render you unconscious.

Glad to see you around, juan. Come up with some recipes for hands free burgers..
:lol:
I guess the idea was that a person driving a vehicle while trying to keep from drizzling special sauce and pickles and onions down his/her shirt front might be somewhat impaired.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Does there need to be a law against doing stupid things? Obviously there does or people wouldn't do these things. A couple days ago I was passing a car on the freeway. The car I was passing was in the right lane and just as I was passing him, he changed lanes right into me. I hit the brakes and steered wide. The guy was holding a cell phone on his left ear and was obviously engrossed in his conversation because when I hit my horn he almost drove off the road. I would say the law has to be clarified.

Why? He was driving with undue care and attention and could easily have been charged with that if seen by a cop. The law is pretty clear. It's just not enforced.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I had a guy cut into my lane in front of me today with no signal. When I got up beside him, he had a big honking sandwich in his hand, I guess they should start making hands free sandwiches as well....
LOL - I think they already do that.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think we have all been used to driving with someone in the car talking to us and vice versa as well as things like listening to the radio. Cell phones are different. You have to listen intently to the person on the other end of the phone and so many people conduct so much business via cell phones that they are far more interested in the conversation than they are in what's in front of them or around them. I watched a man drive up to a stop sign. His cell was basically glued to his ear. He stopped as he should have but then pulled out - like he shouldn't have. He was oblivious to traffic. He obeyed the traffic control device but missed on coming traffic completely. Robot effect. You see it happen all the time. Now that the legislation is out there (or will be), being caught may mean a black mark on one's driver's licence and that would put a dent in the number or at least the length of the calls. People are rude with their phones anyway. Personally, I don't care to share my entire conversation with the caller and anyone in a store or elsewhere that can hear me. I also don't want to "share" calls other callers are making.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Or one of your onion and cheese sandwiches? ;) Those are tasty, ty.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I don't think drinking and driving would be so bad if it was done through a straw.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A Big Mac isn't so bad, a Peanut Buster Parfait is tough, because it pretty much takes both hands.

Do you recall the generous days when, with one bump, you'd have two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions spew out onto your lap while you're clinging to a sesame seed bun and veering all over the road going : "Holy crow!"

*wolf takes breath*

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Do you recall the generous days when, with one bump, you'd have two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions spew out onto your lap while you're clinging to a sesame seed bun and veering all over the road going : "Holy crow!"

*wolf takes breath*

And then you'd spill your beer!

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Reality is.....

Whether it is a parent screaming at their kids in the back seat or a businessman thinking about how to close a big deal while driving to the customer it all comes down to concentration on the road..

In a perfect world we would not have accidents but then again we would not need insurance.

People need to set limits within themselves as to not text while driving. This is crazy and should not be done. And any time you can pull over to talk is always best.

I always ask who ever it was to send me details via email as I never take down information while on the road. In any case it does not bother me as I use a bluetooth device and endeavour not to text / email while on the road. My attention is focused on the road when I am driving an not on a conversation. I have had people ask me why I stopped talking on my Cell and I said "sorry I am on the road and need to pay 100% attention right now". I have yet to get someone mad at me for asking them to wait. No driver ever gives 100% attention to the road as there is always something else on our minds but I give all I can to the road and that is important.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why? He was driving with undue care and attention and could easily have been charged with that if seen by a cop. The law is pretty clear. It's just not enforced.

I think what you meant to write was "driving without due care and attention", and no, it is not that clear.