Gunfire, Explosions After MIT Cop Shot Dead

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well there's no causal relationship other than it being a recreational event,

They have not established the motivation behind this yet. Your assumption that the only causal relationship is a marathon is premature... Too bad that you don't apply this logic to global warming... You'd go far in your treatment and rehabilitation of your eco-addiction

Good try though Matlock

so you've just proven my point that the fear of violence is unnecessary.

Unless you're family of one of the dead, dying or wounded.

I suppose that they are the only ones on the planet that have cause to be scared.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I doubt very highly that people in Canada are scared. I am within 20 minutes of where this is taking place and I am not scared. I do not feel in danger at all.

And more power to you, but there are people here at my workplace that are already using this as an excuse to bring back the gun registry or even more extreme, taking away freedom for hunters to bear arms.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And more power to you, but there are people here at my workplace that are already using this as an excuse to bring back the gun registry or even more extreme, taking away freedom for hunters to bear arms.

Is that how they are going to do it? Geez ask them about immigration if they want to go extreme.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Is that how they are going to do it? Geez ask them about immigration if they want to go extreme.

Well part of it is because CNN (as an example) isn't tackling these issues and they remain fixed only on the immediate story.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well part of it is because CNN (as an example) isn't tackling these issues and they remain fixed only on the immediate story.

C'mon MF... so they should not report on what is going on right now? There is a cop dead... gun fights in the streets... cops running all over the place...

...and you think it is smart to have a partial blackout to focus on gun rights or whatever?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
There is a lot of weakness out there and yeah they are vulnerable to media.

You know, I would love to put the blame (or responsibility) squarely on all of us. As a kid I embraced the idea of free will both on a philosophical level and in real terms.

But if it can be shown, time and time again, that the news and misinformation has a direct effect on people - then media outlets need to make at least make a fleeting attempt to rectify that. Especially if it can be shown that this misinformation is the proximate cause of any significant harm.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You know, I would love to put the blame (or responsibility) squarely on all of us. As a kid I embraced the idea of free will both on a philosophical level and in real terms.

But if it can be shown, time and time again, that the news and misinformation has a direct effect on people - then media outlets need to make at least make a fleeting attempt to rectify that. Especially if it can be shown that this misinformation is the proximate cause of any significant harm.
And yet....you keep reading the Toronto Star.....

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Isn't that what news should be?

Legally? Maybe. But I'm talking about going over and above what the law would mandate for them.

Look at CBC as an example. And let me pre-empt this by saying that I don't think CBC is a fantastic outlet or anything. But when they have a program like Power and Politics, you are always exposed to a pretty decent subset of views on current issues that aren't relegated only to the imminent story.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What subset story is there at the moment. Catch whoever it is, or kill them, is about the only story worth talking about.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What subset story is there at the moment. Catch whoever it is, or kill them, is about the only story worth talking about.

What?

No, you can already see the beginnings of the political offshoots to this story.

I can already list a few:

Gun control
Terrorism
National security

Which is a good thing if the media can address those issues as factually as possible.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

When I was a kid, the news was a service on TV that lost money. Print and radio were still king and I'm only forty freakin' five.

They didn't have groups of people with doomsday scenarios plotting crap out by the second, no flashed images of carnage over and over and over again, there were no writers, panels of so called experts, live cuts to a politicians using the disaster to push agendas There were no outrageous scenarios with digital graphics.

Nope none of that until....untill they figured out all the afore mentioned can make them oodles of money and sway the viewers outlook on reality.

It was CNN and the Gulf War that changed all that. That was when the military cut loose it's dealiest weapon ever.

Drama News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

No way are you ever going to shove that genie back in the bottle in this day and age!!!

Despite the horrendous gaffs (and I do agree it's very unprofessional of the media, they do have a responsibility to be accurate and informative) can you imagine a media blackout and the only "misinformation" being from unofficial sources like Twitter? You think your co-workers are scared now? Picture them in that kind of world.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Despite the horrendous gaffs (and I do agree it's very unprofessional of the media, they do have a responsibility to be accurate and informative) can you imagine a media blackout and the only "misinformation" being from unofficial sources like Twitter? You think your co-workers are scared now? Picture them in that kind of world.

lol

Well you definitely have a point there.

To play a bit of devil's advocate here, no media outlet is perfect.

All I'm really saying is - do a better job dammit.

FOR THE SAKE OF OUR PEOPLE. ;)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
To me personally...

These streets that you are seeing now if you are watching the news are the streets I drive every workday. I was driving there yesterday and will be on them when this is cleared up.

So yes... I'll be posting as events unfurl.