Gunfire, Explosions After MIT Cop Shot Dead

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yup, the media circus thrives on this sort of thing. You would think there is nothing going on in the world but violence and mayhem... Oh and Justin's hair.

If you think your distaste is going to convince me to forgive you for loosing TWO Justins upon the world at the same time, you've got another think coming!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Thats right Cliffy... nothing to see here... move along everyone.

Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager we were watching a massive field fire. A cop car drove by with the Officer saying...

"Move along... nothing to see here."

Some guy said back...

"What are you talking about?! There's a big fire over there!"

Everyone laughed and the cop drove off.

Then there would be nothing to talk about in forums.....

Yes...lets talk of days of old and yore. Geez.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Thats right Cliffy... nothing to see here... move along everyone.

Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager we were watching a massive field fire. A cop car drove by with the Officer saying...

"Move along... nothing to see here."

Some guy said back...

"What are you talking about?! There's a big fire over there!"

Everyone laughed and the cop drove off.

Yes...lets talk of days of old and yore. Geez.
Or post anti Harper Rants......

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Oh it's definitely more than a story. There's all kinds of memes the media is throwing around to scare the **** out of people and make them feel unsafe.

Even CBC is jumping on the "twin bombings" meme.

Very classy.

I hate to bring up such a small detail here; but it would seem that people aren't actually safe.

Just wanted to point-out that insignificant detail

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I hate to bring up such a small detail here; but it would seem that people aren't actually safe.

Just wanted to point-out that insignificant detail

Would you like to be more specific or is that the extent of whatever point you are trying to make?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I figured that a policeman being gunned-down in the streets at a location that espouses openness and higher learning was kinda self explanatory.

Maybe you missed the part where this news is so widespread and sensationalized that people in Canada (another country) are feeling scared?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe you missed the part where this news is so widespread and sensationalized that people in Canada (another country) are feeling scared?

It is what it is I guess... I wonder how Londoners feel about the upcoming marathon in their city?

What am I saying!... They are entire ocean away from Boston... They have nothing to worry about

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It is what it is I guess... I wonder how Londoners feel about the upcoming marathon in their city?

What am I saying!... They are entire ocean away from Boston... They have nothing to worry about

But it IS affecting people who are no where near Boston.

I'm pretty sure that blockbuster stories like this are also the reason why the U.S. has more squabbling about gun control than ever before. That guy that shot up everyone in the Batman theater and all those kids killed earlier this year.

That stuff adds up in people's minds and the news isn't really helping to inform them beyond the immediate, face-value enactment of this event.

They stick to the story for a week and the follow up on policy is meager at best.

We're still going to have gun control advocates and gun freedom advocates feuding just like you have anti-islamist and "lefties" going back and forth.

It's up to the media to reveal the shades of gray on these issues so that people can reach a consensus.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No doubt the media senstionalizes everything, even things that require no further sensationalism. But that doesn't mean that what's transpiring is not important or relevant even to people who do not live in the Boston area.

It's up to individuals to cut through the B.S. that runs rampant through the "news media" these days.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not scared. Not the slightest.

It's up to individuals to cut through the B.S. that runs rampant through the "news media" these days.
Why? Why should anyone have to cut through lies to find the truth on TV or other media?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

I'm pretty sure that blockbuster stories like this are also the reason why the U.S. has more squabbling about gun control than ever before. That guy that shot up everyone in the Batman theater and all those kids killed earlier this year.

That stuff adds up in people's minds and the news isn't really helping to inform them beyond the immediate, face-value enactment of this event.

They stick to the story for a week and the follow up on policy is meager at best.

We're still going to have gun control advocates and gun freedom advocates feuding just like you have anti-islamist and "lefties" going back and forth.

It's up to the media to reveal the shades of gray on these issues so that people can reach a consensus.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Of course it's affecting people that are outside of Boston... This was/is a random act at a recreational event.

Boston does not have any kind of exclusivity of recreational events or marathons... As mentioned, London has their marathon coming up - do you believe that the authorities and public at large will ignore the Boston incident simply because they aren't in Boston?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Of course it's affecting people that are outside of Boston... This was/is a random act at a recreational event.

Boston does not have any kind of exclusivity of recreational events or marathons... As mentioned, London has their marathon coming up - do you believe that the authorities and public at large will ignore the Boston incident simply because they aren't in Boston?

Well there's no causal relationship other than it being a recreational event, so you've just proven my point that the fear of violence is unnecessary.

No doubt the media senstionalizes everything, even things that require no further sensationalism. But that doesn't mean that what's transpiring is not important or relevant even to people who do not live in the Boston area.

Ultimately, I agree - but it's also clear, that there aren't enough people who have reached that capacity to be critical.

None of which stops the media from doing a "good job" to at least inform people beyond the immediate reaction to news like this. And regurgitating the same follow up doesn't really count. They have to start breaking down these illusory groups we put ourselves in - like left and right - and try and accelerate policy decisions that are legitimately helpful and get rid of ones that are legitimately hurtful.

I mean, there is a baseline responsibility of following the letter of the law (which is fine), but we (as people in any profession) realize that we have to go above and beyond that to make a true difference.

So while CNN sure is happy about the hits they are getting because that's mostly what they care about, there is still a widespread causal effect from not telling the full story.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

What the left wants us to do is be politically correct and ignore the elephant in the room.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I doubt very highly that people in Canada are scared. I am within 20 minutes of where this is taking place and I am not scared. I do not feel in danger at all.

But it is an interesting story to be talking about.

Well there's no causal relationship other than it being a recreational event, so you've just proven my point that the fear of violence is unnecessary.

Fear of the climate changing is neccessary.