DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Re: Girl Guides of Canada cancelling trips to the U.S., citing travel concerns

I'm a bit of a Trumpophobe myself: I fear the US will bankrupt itself and take Canada down with it. Trudeau ain't helping any in that regard.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Nah.

We have a pretty good Debt to GDP ratio and Trump will actually do a terrible job negotiating trade which will work in our favour.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Nah.

We have a pretty good Debt to GDP ratio and Trump will actually do a terrible job negotiating trade which will work in our favour.

I'm not so sure of that. Trump could push a trade agreement that would hurt all sides. He's just a wrecking ball.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Not bitching at all. In fact, I don't even consider myself as 'boycotting the US.' I tended to avoid the US since 9/11 for two reasons beside my spouse not having Canadian nationality: 2. No urgent need to go, and 3. to avoid the TSA's reputation being proved true.

Now since Trump, I don't go there for the same three reasons except that reasons 2 and 3 have switched places.

Again, I'm not boycotting and would never discourage others from going. If I were to go there alone, even then I'd be somewhat indifferent to it. Just not worth the hassle. But with the family, forget it!

I just don't want to be hassled at the border, that's all.

I was referring to articles Twila had posted and I posted another from 7 years ago showing that nothing new is occurring.

You wouldn't be hassled anymore than you would be going to or leaving Botswana.

If you paperwork is current, you have enough money to sustain yourself during your stay and have a return date there is no reason for you to be hassled more or less than anyone else.

Does CATSA have friendlier agents than TSA?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I have no criminal record either, but on the other hand, I don't want to gamble too much on a trip, and if crossing the US border is like a game of Russian roulette, then I might as well go elsewhere. Even mainland China's a pain since I need a visa, but at least they actually respect their own visa. That alone is saying something compared to the Trump ban that won't even honour permanent residency.

And as for Hong Kong, I just need to show up with a valid Canadian passport, fill out a form at customs, and done.

Now Hong Kong is not as open as Svalbard (I would still need a visa to work there), but it's still far more open than the US or even Canada. I can say this about them: they're consistent. Between the predictability of traveling to China and the gamble of travelling to the US, I'd prefer the predictability of Hong Kong customs agents.

I hear ya. I'd simply avoid the hassle. We had planned on renting a travel van in Hawaii so we could do some camping and exploring. If the situation hasn't calmed down by then (next year) we'll just go to Costa Rica in stead.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

I hear ya. I'd simply avoid the hassle. We had planned on renting a travel van in Hawaii so we could do some camping and exploring. If the situation hasn't calmed down by then (next year) we'll just go to Costa Rica in stead.

And now the Trumpites will start accusing you of 'boycotting' the US when all it really comes down to is that you really just don't want to be hassled at the border.

Nothing political about it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Go for Hawaii. You'll love the State Parks.

We already plan on going back. Hapuna Beach was our favourite.

Division of State Parks | H

And now the Trumpites will start accusing you of 'boycotting' the US when all it really comes down to is that you really just don't want to be hassled at the border.

Nothing political about it.

What hassle?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Go for Hawaii. You'll love the State Parks.

We already plan on going back. Hapuna Beach was our favourite.

Division of State Parks | H

What hassle?

Last time I went to the US was prior to 9/11 and I never got hassled. Smooth sailing. After that since Trump, the main reason for not going was really just lack of interest. However since 9/11, I've heard enough TSA horror stories from the media that I have no interest in experiencing them myself so why bother unless I should feel a particular need to go there?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Girl Guides boycott US - Canada News - Castanet.net

Aren't they "jumping the gun" here before actually checking to see the extent of their welcome in the U.S.? Should teenage girls be encouraged to defy the leader of our closest neighbour. Shouldn't Justin be encouraging respect for his counterpart?

There's nothing about any boycott in the article. They're just not going to approve trips to there over legitimate practical concerns, nothing political about it. They're not 'boycotting' the US.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Last time I went to the US was prior to 9/11 and I never got hassled. Smooth sailing. After that since Trump, the main reason for not going was really just lack of interest. However since 9/11, I've heard enough TSA horror stories from the media that I have no interest in experiencing them myself so why bother unless I should feel a particular need to go there?
Oh oh...Media stories.

Check the media for CATSA hassling people, it's no different up here.

Airport Security Complaints: Officers Disrespect, Lie To Passengers At Canadian Airports, Complaints Allege

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

TSA and CATSA are airport/train/bus/boat security. They arent immigration.