Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Re: Girl Guides of Canada cancelling trips to the U.S., citing travel concerns

Sad.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I'm usually sympathetic with the border guards... but when I had one tell me, after I'd been stopped, that he'd let me into the US but 'next time make sure everything's right', and when I asked him what he meant he said he couldn't tell me, that soured me. Okay, if I did something wrong, tell me so I know. Don't give me this "I can't tell you because you'll say so and so told me that was okay" BS.

If your papers are not in order, then they should tell you what wasn't correct.

Sounds like he was just feeling authoritarian and full of himself...

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

If your papers are not in order, then they should tell you what wasn't correct.

Sounds like he was just feeling authoritarian and full of himself...
Yep, and again, that's nothing new. Crap that that didn't just start happening as soon as Trump got elected. Hell, crap like that was going on even before 9/11.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Yep, and again, that's nothing new. Crap that that didn't just start happening as soon as Trump got elected. Hell, crap like that was going on even before 9/11.

It's not surprising really. If you want to be mean to people and get away with it, best to find a job whereby you have authority over them.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Yes, it was. I mean my gosh, did you know that even White people have been turned back at the border? Even before Trump and even before 9/11? Think about that for a sec, White people were and are denied entry on a regular basis.

I've crossed the border at various places throughout most of my 50 years and most of the crossings were just fine. Sometimes I would have to go to secondary for further vehicle inspection and a quick interview. And sometimes those extra checks and interviews weren't so quick. I think my personal record is 4 hours.

A friend of mine who moved to Winnipeg from South-western Ontario was denied entry to cross the border because he couldn't prove to the guard that he wasn't going to stay in the US to find work. So he had to drive the long way, all the way around the lake head. Again, all before Trump and 9/11.
And as I related in this forum elsewhere, when I was a kid my family and I were turned back at the border because while my father was a citizen, he wasn't born here. The US border guard said he'd never heard of Wales and didn't believe my dad's birth certificate was genuine.
Yep, people getting turned back at the border is a daily occurrence. Hundreds of thousands of people cross every single day, not including commercial crossings. It's inevitable that some of them are going to be turned back for any number of reasons. Can't just blame it all on race or religion. Well, you can try but then you'd just sound like another brain-dead proggie.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

It's not surprising really. If you want to be mean to people and get away with it, best to find a job whereby you have authority over them.

CBSA is hiring.