Girl Guides boycott U.S.A.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Re: Girl Guides of Canada cancelling trips to the U.S., citing travel concerns

1 more in the ever growing list of groups who will not be going to the usa.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the judge decides if the trumps second attempt at a travel ban will go through.

I know plenty of Canadians in my own circle of friends who could go but whose spouses couldn't enter because they're not Canadian nationals. And of course the Canadians won't go in without their spouses.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I know plenty of Canadians in my own circle of friends who could go but whose spouses couldn't enter because they're not Canadian nationals. And of course the Canadians won't go in without their spouses.

I have a friend who has a few stamps on his passport that has him concerned he'd be waylaid so he's choosen to just not travel in the US.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

I have a friend who has a few stamps on his passport that has him concerned he'd be waylaid so he's choosen to just not travel in the US.

I have a new passport now, but my last one was stamped on quite a few pages abroad. I never even thought of that. Even as a Canadian national, I'd be worried about that now that you mention it. After all, an international open border agreement does not mean much to the US government. They just sign it for the benefit of their own citizens traveling abroad and then ignore their side of the bargain.

What's the point of such agreements for Canada if they're not worth the paper they're printed on?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Stamp or no stamp RFID lets them know long before you walk through customs/immigration.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Stamp or no stamp RFID lets them know long before you walk through customs/immigration.

There's also the question of image. For example:

I'm debating between visiting the US or going to China for the holidays. My passport is stamped with many Hong Kong and mainland Chinese entry stamps already plus it has a Chinese visa in it. My spouse is a Chinese citizen. Now if I'm determined to go to the US, I might do more research. But if I was just thinking maybe, then just my readings from the media would tell me heck, not worth the hassle looking it up.

Bingo, two tourists lost right there.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

I have a new passport now, but my last one was stamped on quite a few pages abroad. I never even thought of that. Even as a Canadian national, I'd be worried about that now that you mention it. After all, an international open border agreement does not mean much to the US government. They just sign it for the benefit of their own citizens traveling abroad and then ignore their side of the bargain.

What's the point of such agreements for Canada if they're not worth the paper they're printed on?
Right, right. Because no American has ever been turned back at the border. Canadians have been turned back at the US border as well, and long before any of this nonsense began. You know what the difference is? The average Canadian has some clue as to the fact that just because you're a Canadian citizen does not give you the God-given right to enter the US.
Prior to 9/11 I had a temporary work permit for the US, had it for the better part of a decade although it had to be renewed regularly. After 9/11 the US border services refused to renew it and gave no reason or explanation as to why, although I can take a pretty educated guess. Guess what I didn't do? I didn't go whining to the media and/or the govt about it because there is SFA either of them can do.
Some days, you just have to deal with their stupidity. I was turned back at the US border one time because the moron guard couldn't comprehend how I could have friends in the US when I lived in Canada.
One last thing about your open border idea. Just because the various govts of Canada don't give a sh*t about this country doesn't mean the US has to follow suit and f*ck theirs up too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

There's also the question of image. For example:

I'm debating between visiting the US or going to China for the holidays. My passport is stamped with many Hong Kong and mainland Chinese entry stamps already plus it has a Chinese visa in it. My spouse is a Chinese citizen. Now if I'm determined to go to the US, I might do more research. But if I was just thinking maybe, then just my readings from the media would tell me heck, not worth the hassle looking it up.

Bingo, two tourists lost right there.

What reason would they be concerned? If your paperwork is current why would the US Immigration care about you? You are just another tourist from Canada with a Chinese wife.

They would be more concerned of you staying and working than being a terrorist. If you are flying through a US hub and have a ticket out they don't care.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

What reason would they be concerned? If your paperwork is current why would the US Immigration care about you? You are just another tourist from Canada with a Chinese wife.

They would be more concerned of you staying and working than being a terrorist. If you are flying through a US hub and have a ticket out they don't care.

They shouldn't care. But since it's people who're are implementing new policy, and people make mistakes...Some people will choose to go else where instead of hoping for the best with the border guards.

Hamilton church volunteers denied entry so they wouldn't steal american jobs....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...o-they-wouldn-t-steal-american-jobs-1.4022969

Canadian woman denied entry tol she needs immigrant visa
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-...-told-she-needs-immigrant-visa-172621968.html

Canadian man denied because of gay hookup app on phone.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02/22/canadian-man-customs-gay-app_n_14928858.html

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Those are nothing out of the ordinary. Ive been questioned extensively more than once simply for having work boots and PPE in my truck.

CBSA is no different than US Immigration.

Even if you are doing volunteer work in either country, you will be considered working.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Of course. It's only responsible to keep girls away from Kim Jong Don.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Girl Guides boycott US - Canada News - Castanet.net

Aren't they "jumping the gun" here before actually checking to see the extent of their welcome in the U.S.? Should teenage girls be encouraged to defy the leader of our closest neighbour. Shouldn't Justin be encouraging respect for his counterpart?
No. Conservatives on either side of the border do not respect Trudeau and why should anybody respect the Orange Orangutan? The guy is a complete moron, retarded adolescent, twitterpated fruit loop.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

I have no criminal record either, but on the other hand, I don't want to gamble too much on a trip, and if crossing the US border is like a game of Russian roulette, then I might as well go elsewhere. Even mainland China's a pain since I need a visa, but at least they actually respect their own visa. That alone is saying something compared to the Trump ban that won't even honour permanent residency.

And as for Hong Kong, I just need to show up with a valid Canadian passport, fill out a form at customs, and done.

Now Hong Kong is not as open as Svalbard (I would still need a visa to work there), but it's still far more open than the US or even Canada. I can say this about them: they're consistent. Between the predictability of traveling to China and the gamble of travelling to the US, I'd prefer the predictability of Hong Kong customs agents.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

so then, the travel ban is just giving people a new reason to complain about what's been going on for awhile now.

I, personally haven't had problems, but then I'm polite and considerate while traveling and have no criminal record.

Yup. Just bitching for the sake of bitching about Trump.

This not new and it's just as strict when Americans deal with CBSA. We have the same laws just different agencies.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

^^^

Elitophobe

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Yup. Just bitching for the sake of bitching about Trump.

This not new and it's just as strict when Americans deal with CBSA. We have the same laws just different agencies.

Not bitching at all. In fact, I don't even consider myself as 'boycotting the US.' I tended to avoid the US since 9/11 for two reasons beside my spouse not having Canadian nationality: 2. No urgent need to go, and 3. to avoid the TSA's reputation being proved true.

Now since Trump, I don't go there for the same three reasons except that reasons 2 and 3 have switched places.

Again, I'm not boycotting and would never discourage others from going. If I were to go there alone, even then I'd be somewhat indifferent to it. Just not worth the hassle. But with the family, forget it!

I just don't want to be hassled at the border, that's all.