Fav Sports

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I used to play hockey as a kid, both for fun on the rink across the street, and in a league. I would never, EVER, wish it upon my enemy's children to have to go through league hockey. The costs, the travelling, the competitiveness; it completely sucked the fun and the life out of a great sport, to the point where I was completely turned off of it for several years. Sadly, I played league hockey to learn skills, and rink hockey to actually enjoy it.

""""""""'Not sure what you actually mean about rink hockey/league hockey. Here in B.C. we have rep. hockey and house hockey, both are "leagues", but one is top skills, travel all over the place, and house hockey is played at home, divided into local teams, and not so "serious" as far as skills, so it is
suppose to be "more" fun, but, not sure, as my grandson played both, and the "rep" hockey was much more organized, and he liked the "structure," and much better coaching, he later played in house hockey and did not enjoy it, as everyone just did whatever they wanted, as some kids" didn't care," and some did, so I guess, "everything isn't for everybody", and kids can play more economically if they shop at the "hockey swap" etc., but of course something like soccer is much cheaper, but not everyone likes
every sport, kids have to play what they "love" to play, so they can have lots of fun.""""""""

"""""""""""""""""And, "kids who very competitive" love that aspect of the sport, and hate playing
for "what some people say "for fun", as it isn't fun for them, and the kids that don't
care about competing hate having the competitive ones on their teams, cause they
try their hardest "all" the time and want to win, and that is "their fun".""""""""""""""

Now the only exercise I get is cleaning the house, and going for walks to enjoy the northern Ontario outdoors (though we did just do winter camping, which was so, so cold). Once it warms up though, we can add walks to the lake, going to the cabin, fishing, sauna runs, rollerblading, canoe trips, camping, long bike rides, picnics on the beach, bbqs and parties with friends, and all the other goodtime summer things that are sure to be ruined by the hoards of blackflies and mosquitos that descend upon us in search of tasty blood.

Have fun

Last edited:

Nightmare

Electoral Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ontario
i noticed much talk of rugby earlier in the thread... you know that there are two kinds of rugby which differ quite a lot? rugby league is closer to un-armoured american "foot"ball. rugby union is a little more interesting and doesn't stop so often. I like to watch union, although i'd be terrified to play either type.

my favourite sports are ones which dont involve me getting hurt. badminton and table tennis are two i actually managed to be half-decent at.

Yeah, I' trying to get better with badminton. My mother keeps telling me that so and so is not the correct movment. LOL

I'm also pretty good at table tennis.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Australian rules football and ice hockey. Both fast, exciting sports.

Aussie Rules is a great sport to play, probably the world's best kept secret. There is some physicality and muscle, but it isn't brutal on the ball carrier like rugby (ie. you don't need to be a human battering ram) and it requires ample skill, fitness, endurance and flexibility but absolutely no padding. You basically run around a huge field for nearly 2 hours bouncing an oddly shaped ball, kicking an jumping into the air for it. It is like full-contact soccer or ultimate disc. To be really good at it, it requires both hand and foot co-ordination and accuracy on both sides of your body whilst running at full speed and evading other players. At first glance it looks easy, but it is actually very difficult to master.

The Australian Football League (AFL) is great to watch, great athletes, fast, action packed and high scoring.

Anyone interested in giving it a try should check out AFL Canada http://www.aflcanada.com/

I also like football and rugby, but I can't stand soccer.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Nightmare said:
LOL

I'm too lazy.
I only plays sports if there fun...

To each his own.

I played baseball and softball for many years and coach both sports for many more years. I saw many young people become better citizens because of the fun and experience of playing these great sports. As one who values good citizenship, this makes those sports even more significant to me.

Sports are a great thing and I am glad that you enjoy playing them. But there is a far greater dimension to them as sports makes our youth into better people. And that makes sports even greater in my mind.:)

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Basically talloola, when I mean league hockey I mean being a kid under 14 and paying several hundreds of dollars to join a team, having to buy a ton of equipment, travel all over the region and the such. You know, the sport where the parents live through their children, and often degrade their maturity far lower than a 10-year old ever would (when work for a newspaper - and participating in hockey - I had seen numerous parents and coaches fighting, swearing, abusing and taunting others, embarassing their children, families and the community).

By rink hockey I mean just putting on some skates and going to the local outdoor rink, and playing an informal game whenever the mood struck us - few rules, play with a tennis ball, change teams when we felt like it - you know, fun hockey. The world's greatest player honed his basic skills this way with his father on a small patch of ice; it was years later when he joined a league. As for us, Northern Ontario youth don't have the population necessary to form anything higher than small local teams - those that make it really well are drafted to cities in southern Ontario, the northern US and Manitoba.

As for your last incoherent comment, I'm sorry to say, but I knew a lot of kids whose parents thought they were really competitive, and given the first chance to not play, they took it. Why? Their parents put enormous pressure on them, and they quickly learned to resent it - many hate everything to do with hockey now.

Furthermore, who says that kids can only enjoy one or the other, because that really reeks of arrogance and presumption on your part. I enjoyed both, but having to centre your life around a twice a week league was a huge hassle on a young person's life, looking back in retrospect.

Like I said, my issue is that organized hockey, at least in my section of Canada, is a mess right now. It has removed almost every element of fun and become a becaon of competitiveness that is aimed more at the parents and the coaches of the players than at the kids themselves, as they shout obscenties and utter (and sometimes carry out) acts of violence towards each other in full view of small children and other onlookers. The amount of money, time and committment needed to play in a youth league is now astounding, costing thousands of dollars and countless hours of travelling - as my teacher of a wife can attest, many of those that play for the regional team struggle in academics, as they simply don't have any free time to do their homework; they are always practicing, fundraising or travelling to dirtholes like Sioux Lookout. The unfortunate thing is that this scenario has gone from one or two bad apples to a much larger-scale epidemic that is being seen in many of Canada's youth sports.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
To each his own.

I played baseball and softball for many years and coach both sports for many more years. I saw many young people become better citizens because of the fun and experience of playing these great sports. As one who values good citizenship, this makes those sports even more significant to me.

Sports are a great thing and I am glad that you enjoy playing them. But there is a far greater dimension to them as sports makes our youth into better people. And that makes sports even greater in my mind.:)

The great thing about baseball and softball is that it truly focusses on the team aspect of the experience. You know everyone is going to get so many at-bats, everyone is going to be fielding the ball, and when the kids are young it is a nice relaxed atmosphere where you can shuffle people around. Even if you're a great baseball player, it's rarely enough to outshine the team aspect. This is sadly not true in hockey anymore.

Coaches have gotten competitive to the point where they bench players for almost the entire game, and try to ride on their star players in an attempt for a trinket of a regional medal. The sad thing is, these kids are less than 12 years old. They scream and berate kids on both sides of the ice, and often pick fights with the referees. I once saw a coach of an out-of-town team, after one of his players was accidently tripped, spit on the offending child - in atom league hockey (11-12 years old).

Sports really can be a double-edged sword. Like a lot of things in life, it has brought out the best and the worst in us.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Basically talloola, when I mean league hockey I mean being a kid under 14 and paying several hundreds of dollars to join a team, having to buy a ton of equipment, travel all over the region and the such. You know, the sport where the parents live through their children, and often degrade their maturity far lower than a 10-year old ever would (when work for a newspaper - and participating in hockey - I had seen numerous parents and coaches fighting, swearing, abusing and taunting others, embarassing their children, families and the community).

My husband and I were in charge of an ice hockey organization for quite some time, and I know
exactly what you are talking about re: awful parents/coaches/abuse/etc., we have seen it first
hand on many occasions. Everything I said on my reply has no connection to that kind of behavior.
We have been in a position where we had to "physically" pull two coaches apart on more than one
occasion. That behavior was not tolerated in our organization, and because of our athletic
background, we were very connected to "all" the kids, and loved to help them learn and have fun.
But, there are kids mixed in every organization who are "very" competative "within themselves", and
all of the great athletes who rise to the top of their sport were naturally that way, and not driven
by anyone else.

As for your last incoherent comment, I'm sorry to say, but I knew a lot of kids whose parents thought they were really competitive, and given the first chance to not play, they took it. Why? Their parents put enormous pressure on them, and they quickly learned to resent it - many hate everything to do with hockey now.
Yes, we saw those kids too, and almost all of those situations ended in sadness, as the kids fnally
just couldn't do it any longer, and the parents constantly got themselves in hot water, one way or
the other, AS THOSE SITUATIONS NEVER WORK.

Furthermore, who says that kids can only enjoy one or the other, because that really reeks of arrogance and presumption on your part.
Of course I'm not talking about "all" kids, but when you mix very competative kids with kids who
are not "really" interested in being competative at all, it's not a good mix. And, there is no
arrogance or presumption on my part, as I speak from many years of experience.
I enjoyed both, but having to centre your life around a twice a week league was a huge hassle on a young person's life, looking back in retrospect.
And. that is your own experience, so you shouldn't have played in that level and seriousness, but
that doesn't mean it is bad, as many many kids "love" that level and thrive on it, so let them have
that pleasure.

Like I said, my issue is that organized hockey, at least in my section of Canada, is a mess right now. It has removed almost every element of fun and become a becaon of competitiveness that is aimed more at the parents and the coaches of the players than at the kids themselves, as they shout obscenties and utter (and sometimes carry out) acts of violence towards each other in full view of small children and other onlookers.
Yes, I agree that is sickening
The amount of money, time and committment needed to play in a youth league is now astounding, costing thousands of dollars and countless hours of travelling - as my teacher of a wife can attest,
Yes, I agree, but I'm afraid that kind of expense is connected to many "high level" sports, and it
is very hard for many people, and in the case of some sports, "figure skating" for example it
completely excludes most families, and my daughter was one, as she took figure skating for awhile
but we had to take her out, as she was very very good, and coaches wanted her to begin high level
coaching and private lessons, and that was the end of that, we could not afford such a thing.

many of those that play for the regional team struggle in academics, as they simply don't have any free time to do their homework;
Yes, I've seen that too, and that is a "family" decision, and school comes first, so make a decision,
sometimes there is no choice.

they are always practicing, fundraising or travelling to dirtholes like Sioux Lookout. The unfortunate thing is that this scenario has gone from one or two bad apples to a much larger-scale epidemic that is being seen in many of Canada's youth sports.
In the case of my grandson, he is also a "scratch golfer", he has been competing since he was about
9rs. old, now hes 15, and has travelled all over canada and now is starting to compete in the U.S.,
that is why he went from rep hockey to house hockey, but he quit hockey now, we watched him play
house hockey a few times, but his heart wasn't in it, it wasn't fun for him. He has been highly
competative since he could challenge anyone at anything, (just games), and noone has ever made
him do any of it, he drives himself, he is a straight A student, and takes pride in his studies, and
noone has ever made him do that either. Kids have to go their own way, and if they want to strive
to be the best, that is their call, as long as they are not hurting themselves, and that is when the
parents have to step in. They are individuals, with individual desires. He happens to have a family
that would never do anything unsportsmanlike at any time, and neither would he.
The point is, and you said it as well, the parents can't live through their children, and unfortunately
many do, and that is a recipe for trouble.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
And that is your own experience, so you shouldn't have played in that level and seriousness, but that doesn't mean it is bad, as many many kids "love" that level and thrive on it, so let them have that pleasure.

Excuse me? You can't claim not to sound arrogant and then tell me what I should or should not have done 10 years ago, especially since I had already said that I enjoyed it on several levels. That's exactly the kind of mentality that is shaping youth sports today, and it sounds really contradictory to what you say later on:

Kids have to go their own way, and if they want to strive to be the best, that is their call, as long as they are not hurting themselves, and that is when the parents have to step in.
So I made my choice, but it was, according to you, apparently wrong; but, I have to be an independent thinker, yet I should listen to those others to choose whether or not I should compete in certain levels if I so desire, and I am able to do so? Which is it? I doubt you told your grandson he shouldn't have played at whatever levels he played at, since it was clear he had lost passion and interest in 'rep hockey'. Was he blocking someone from realizing their dream? Unlikely.

Hockey can still remain competitive for those who wish to excel, even if it is heavily decentralized from the current model. It certainly hasn't stopped the thousands who made it to the world's highest levels of hockey competition before the transformation of the youth leagues into 'personal parent conduits'. The fact that corporations are sponsoring many league teams to the point where they are monopolies and companies run within themselves, as well as the amount of money and time devoted by the children and their parents in these ventures is nothing short of sickening.

What I'm trying to say is that youth league hockey is an extra-curricular activity, much like a chess club or a bird-watching society; however, those who are active in it are finding that it consumes much of their lives, muchso more than before, and in ridiculous proportion to other extra-curricular activities. Every hockey family I know spends every weekend travelling in and competing in out-of-town tournaments, while three times a week little Timmy comes home from school, eats some garbage fast-food then has to commute to the arena, where they do drills until 8pm or they're singled out and either benched or played based on the undeveloped skill levels of a 10-year old. They come home from hockey, and exhausted, having not spent one moment on school-work. Even worse, the parents force them to stay up half the night doing the work, and the children lack sleep and energy - to speak nothing of those 'extra' practices and the numerous fundraising drives that are needed to fund such an expensive and complex organization. You find me another extra-curricular activity that consumes that much of a person's life, and ask a 10-year old, already overworked with the new Ontario curriculum (these kids are doing work we did in grade 10 in grade 6) to try and not only take it all in stride, but actually enjoy it.

Darn you though, as you kinda took the sting out of my argument with a really nice conclusion to your last post; well-said points on the kids and their need for independent thinking.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And that is your own experience, so you shouldn't have played in that level and seriousness, but that doesn't mean it is bad, as many many kids "love" that level and thrive on it, so let them have that pleasure.

Excuse me? You can't claim not to sound arrogant,I really resent being called arrogant, as that word
doesn't fit my personality in any way whatsoever.

and then tell me what I should or should not have done 10 years ago, especially since I had already said that I enjoyed it on several levels.That's good
That's exactly the kind of mentality that is shaping youth sports today, and it sounds really contradictory to what you say later on:Well, I don't know, hard following you, I just always think
kids should play, if they want to, at what level they want to, (if they can), and have fun, when
the fun is gone, move on and do something else.
I'm glad you enjoyed it when you did, and got out when you had had enough, that was fine and I
don't really know what you have your knickers n a twist about, as we both seem to be in favour of
the right things for kids. I'm not judging what you did at all, I don't even know you, and I don't
judge people, I just give my opinion, based on my experiences.

Kids have to go their own way, and if they want to strive to be the best, that is their call, as long as they are not hurting themselves, and that is when the parents have to step in.
So I made my choice, but it was, according to you, apparently wrong;
Don't understand why your choice was wrong, I'm not really concerned with what you did, we are
talking about kids in general I thought, and I only mentioned you, cause you mentioned you.

but, I have to be an independent thinker, yet I should listen to those others to choose whether or not I should compete in certain levels if I so desire, and I am able to do so? Which is it?
Kids should definitely be independent thinkers, but families should make decisions together, and at
the end of the day, (providing the money is available), the player has to decide where he wants to
play, simple, not hard at all, even though a kid is an independent thinker, (which is good), he is
also a kid, so he can't make decisions for himself, apart from what is best for the family & him.

I doubt you told your grandson he shouldn't have played at whatever levels he played at,
We didn't tell him anything, (not our job), we are supporters, cheerers, drivers, helpers.

since it was clear he had lost passion and interest in 'rep hockey'.

He loved rep hockey, he only left it, cause his golf was taking up lots of time, and he loved golf more,so he had to make a choice, as his rep hockey playoffs overlapped the beginning of the golf season,so, the choice was his, and he made it. It was the house hockey he didn't like as much as rep, so he only played that for one year, he will probably play pick-up hockey sometimes, when he and his
friends get together.

Was he blocking someone from realizing their dream? Unlikely.
I haven't a clue what that means, how could he block someone from realizing their dreams, don't
understand that statement at all. He was only 13 yrs old when he went from rep to house, what
does that have to do with the above.
You are going off on a tangent that I don't understand, this conversation isn't that dramatic.

Hockey can still remain competitive for those who wish to excel, even if it is heavily decentralized from the current model. It certainly hasn't stopped the thousands who made it to the world's highest levels of hockey competition before the transformation of the youth leagues into 'personal parent conduits'.
A few years ago, a group of parents from the lower mainland, (we knew some of them) bought a
house, all together, in an area where they wanted their little "rep" sons to play, they were all the
same age, and they then registered all the kids in the same rep club, to be on the same team,
they had a plan for that team to be "so good" that they would beat everyone, and attract so much
attention that their sons would go on to get drafted into NHL. They ended up in quite a pickle over
that stupid move, and the whole idea went right down the toilet, but goes to show you the lengths
some people will go to "get what they want", but happily it didn't work.

The fact that corporations are sponsoring many league teams to the point where they are monopolies and companies run within themselves,
I'm not familiar with anything like that in "minor" sports, any companies who sponsored any of the
teams in our organization were very generous and helpful, as we needed the money to buy uniforms
etc, beyond that, I haven't had any negative experiences with sponsors, re: extra favours, etc, not
really sure what you mean, unless you are talking about older players, Junior, maybe.

as well as the amount of money and time devoted by the children and their parents in these ventures is nothing short of sickening.
What parents decide to do within their own families, is none of our business, but when it begins to
hurt "teams" or "other players" on their teams, or become a venture that is negative to the sports
organization, then it becomes the business of that organization to do something about it.

Yes, I again agree with you on this, but it isn't "all" bad, there are very good organizations, and we
should recognize those, and give them their credit, I am on the west coast, so I can't speak for
any clubs in the east, not familiar with them, only ours her in B.C.

What I'm trying to say is that youth league hockey is an extra-curricular activity, much like a chess club or a bird-watching society; however, those who are active in it are finding that it consumes much of their lives, muchso more than before, and in ridiculous proportion to other extra-curricular activities.
Yeah, guess that is because hockey is our Canadian sport, and so huge in this country, so I imagine
it rubs off, and gets in the blood of many, who dream of making the NHL.

Every hockey family I know spends every weekend travelling in and competing in out-of-town tournaments,
Yeah, we did that for years, and our family still talks about the great memories, fun times, good
games, places we have been, it was great, we were with our kids all the time, and some kids who
came with us, cause they loved to play, never ever had a parent with them, some had to work, and
some didn't care, were glad to get rid of their kids, and many parents travelled with us.

while three times a week little Timmy comes home from school, eats some garbage fast-food - You don't have a clue what they eat.
-then has to commute to the arena, where they do drills until 8pm-they usually have only one hr. of ice at a time, sometimes a little more, most of the time not,as there is many other teams and
also figure skaters who also have ice times.
or they're singled out and either benched or played based on the undeveloped skill levels of a 10-year old.
In our B.C. organizations, players can't be "benched", but it is obvious with some kids, that they don't
belong on the rep team, and that has to be dealt with at some point, if kid is unhappy, or he just
stays on team, and probably next year won't make rep team, but maybe he will, who knows.
They come home from hockey, and exhausted, having not spent one moment on school-work. Even worse, the parents force, You don't know what parents force and which ones don't
them to stay up half the night doing the work, and the children lack sleep and energy
You are right for some, but don't include all, as there are many families very well organized, who
don't allow those kind of bad habits to "creep" into their lives, even with filled up schedules.

- to speak nothing of those 'extra' practices and the numerous fundraising drives that are needed to fund such an expensive and complex organization. You find me another extra-curricular activity that consumes that much of a person's life, and ask a 10-year old, already overworked with the new Ontario curriculum (these kids are doing work we did in grade 10 in grade 6) to try and not only take it all in stride, but actually enjoy it.
Yes, there is lots of extra time consuming fund raising, etc., but if all those kids you speak of, did
none of this extra curricular activity, where would they be, are you assuming they would be doing
very responsible things, like homework, right amount of sleep,helping around the house, maybe
some would, but many wouldn't, and from what I have witnessed, the parents are just glad they
are "off the street" and doing something constructive. You and I can't decide what parents should
decide for their families.
I'm sure the organizations are, as you say they are, but parents have to be responsible for their children,
and they have to bare the brunt of "whatever" isn't working, and fix it, there are many bad parents,
and many very good parents, and irrespective of "what" they do as extra curricular activities, if
they make bad decisions for their kids, it is not the fault of the "organization".

Darn you though, as you kinda took the sting out of my argument with a really nice conclusion to your last post; well-said points on the kids and their need for independent thinking

We have been involved with ice hockey and soft ball for years, (not now, we are retired), and for
the most part everyone "running/coaching/etc are great people, the one's who have been the
problem "mostly" over the years are parents, as some of them just don't have a clue, how to behave
and do what is best for their own kid, and the rest of the team as well. I have many stories, but
won't go into any of those, as I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about.
Before you say I am contradicting myself again, I will add that those are the parents who are
creating problems for the teams/other players/and general good balance of the team their
kid plays on.

Nightmare

Electoral Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ontario
Wow!
Can you type!
LOL
By the way, how do you get rep blocks?
I know this is un-related, but I need a answer.
Thanks!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Gary Gait!!

As a HUGE lacrosse and Syracuse Orange fan, I was THRILLED to see that my lax hero Gary Gait will now coach the SU women's team:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070829.wspt-gait29/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

The previous coach Lisa Miller did a great job of building up the program and she deserves much kudos for her dedication. Frankly, I was surprised that she left but wish her well.

Imagine if Michael Jordan left pro basketball to coach women's college ball --- what incredible publicity that would generate for the team and for the sport. Well, to us lacrosse fans, Gary is our Jordan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gait

And he is another reason why we should all love Canadians!!!:smile:

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
Hockey and Lacrosse. Had some family play it and grew up watching it. And I've loved them both ever since!

As a HUGE lacrosse and Syracuse Orange fan, I was THRILLED to see that my lax hero Gary Gait will now coach the SU women's team:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070829.wspt-gait29/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

The previous coach Lisa Miller did a great job of building up the program and she deserves much kudos for her dedication. Frankly, I was surprised that she left but wish her well.

Imagine if Michael Jordan left pro basketball to coach women's college ball --- what incredible publicity that would generate for the team and for the sport. Well, to us lacrosse fans, Gary is our Jordan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gait

And he is another reason why we should all love Canadians!!!:smile:

Funny you should mention Gary Gait, Gopher. It was always a joy to see him play and coach in the NLL with Colorado. The guy was amazing, especially at his age. I always wondered what was going to happen to him since he stepped down as coach. And now I know...

I wish him all the best as coach of the SU women's team.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Football, cricket, rugby league, rugby union, snooker, darts (in descending order).