Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Why are we arguing about this? Because you insist on spouting simplistic falsehoods in attempt to marginalize and denigrate a region of the country you know nothing about and refuse to acknowledge your own ignorance. Alberta politics in many ways are a reaction to the grasping pseudo-imperialism of Ontario. A rebellion against the tyranny of the "majority". They're an assertion of the independant spirit of the province and an unwillingness to have others values imposed on us. Yes, there are religious people involved in politics: 71%+ of the population are acknowledged Christians, so its only logical, but religion isn't the over-riding concern here, or even on the radar screen 99% of the time. With the debates of introducing Sharia law and private religious school funding in Ontario reflected in the national media, the "empirical " evidence could say Ontario is more concerned about religion than Alberta is.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Captain, Wulfie, if you don’t want to believe the statistical evidence (25% of Alberta’s population is Fundamentalist, 17% of Ontario’s population is Fundamentalist), if you persist in your unsupported opinion that religious right is not strong in Alberta, I suppose there is nothing further to be said, except that you are entitled to your opinion (even though there is no evidence to support it).

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Wulfie, Captain, but why are we arguing about it? It was easier to look up the link than I thought. My intuition was right, there are indeed many more Fundamentalists in Alberta than in Ontario.

Evangelical and Fundamentalist Movements

Alberta – 25%, Ontario – 17%.

Empirical evidence, intuition is usually (but not always) right.

Now I am really confused.

In considering the statistics, it appears that the United States is a fundamentalist Christian nation. I also understand that you support all that Obama represents implicity and without question. I can only assume that you are a fundamentalist Christian and that based on your statistical offering, it seems that Obama and the Democratic Party are also fundamentalist Christians.

Interesting.... Very interesting.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Based upon these (and other) factors, I am of the opinion that religious right is strong in Alberta.

But, of course, you don't actually live in Alberta and those of us that do think you are full of shyte. As a military brat, I've lived all over Canada and the "religious right" is no stronger here than elsewhere. They may be more vocal as all Albertans tend to be.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Wulfie, Captain, but why are we arguing about it? It was easier to look up the link than I thought. My intuition was right, there are indeed many more Fundamentalists in Alberta than in Ontario.

Evangelical and Fundamentalist Movements

Alberta – 25%, Ontario – 17%.

Empirical evidence, intuition is usually (but not always) right.

Wow! Quoting the Canadian Encyclopedia no less, published by Mel Hurtig. To throw SJP's logic back at him, since Mel is on the radical fringes, using him or any of his publications is pointless. Hell, Mel's National Party only managed 12 1/2% in the 1993 election. That is only half the 25% of the votes needed to be seen as not radical by SJP.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Now I am really confused.

In considering the statistics, it appears that the United States is a fundamentalist Christian nation. I also understand that you support all that Obama represents implicity and without question. I can only assume that you are a fundamentalist Christian and that based on your statistical offering, it seems that Obama and the Democratic Party are also fundamentalist Christians.

Interesting.... Very interesting.

Now don’t try to change the subject, Captain. That is a classic debating tactic. When losing, one tries to change the subject.

Both you and Wulfie were denying my claim (based upon empirical evidence) that religious right is strong in Alberta. Now that I have produced statistical evidence to support my assertion, you try to change the subject and make several provocative statements in the hope that I will reply to them and the original subject of discussion (that religious right is strong in Alberta) will be forgotten.

Well, I am far too old a hand at debating for that to work. You want to claim that Obama and Democratic Party are Fundamentalists Christians? Start a thread on it and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

But I stick to the point I made, my intuition told me that religious right is very strong in Alberta, stronger than in any other province, and now I have found statistical evidence for my assertion.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You would first have to show that a greater population = stronger. You would have to provide evidence that the Evangelicals in Canada are the same as evangelicals in the US. I won't hold my breath.

We have a greater Ukrainian population in Alberta than in Ontario. That doesn't mean that Ukrainians are stronger.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Now don’t try to change the subject, Captain. That is a classic debating tactic. When losing, one tries to change the subject.

Both you and Wulfie were denying my claim (based upon empirical evidence) that religious right is strong in Alberta. Now that I have produced statistical evidence to support my assertion, you try to change the subject and make several provocative statements in the hope that I will reply to them and the original subject of discussion (that religious right is strong in Alberta) will be forgotten.

Well, I am far too old a hand at debating for that to work. You want to claim that Obama and Democratic Party are Fundamentalists Christians? Start a thread on it and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

But I stick to the point I made, my intuition told me that religious right is very strong in Alberta, stronger than in any other province, and now I have found statistical evidence for my assertion.

Do not interpret my comment about you're being a fundamentalist Christian as deflecting the debate. In truth, it is the base tenents of your 'empirical evidence' that has sparked the facts relative to Obama, the Democrats and yourself being fundies.

The real question here is why you are not fully in support of the AB gvt's motion to allow parents to remove their children from academics (incl evolution) they don't support.

I really thought that all you funbdamentalist Christians stuck together SJP.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Captain, no amount of trying to change the subject will push me from my argument. Religious right is very strong in Alberta and I have shown statistical evidence for it. You disagree, and you haven’t shown any statistical evidence to support your contention.

Alberta government is simply pandering to religious right, which is a strong voting block for Conservatives. When 40% is enough to get a majority, religious right, with 25% support is an essential voting block for conservatives. They must keep religious right happy. If religious right bolted en masse, Conservatives will be down to 20 or 25% support.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
SJP, I believe you.. I saw the website and as it is published on the internet, well, it must be true.

... But we're onto the next topic now and it relates to the issue of pandering to the religious right in the good ole US of A. Afterall, you did supply the empirical evidence that dictates that the US is vastly more fundamentalist than Canada.

You've made it no secret that you are an ardent admirer of Obama as well as the Democratic party in the USA. In fact, if memory serves correctly, you adopted the moniker 'Hussein' to express your support and solidarity.

My questions to you: Are you a Fundamentalist Christian? Do you hang-out with Stockwell Day (I believe that you mentioned he had quite a following - I'm certain that includes you)?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You are mistaken SJP. No where have I referenced Creationism as a fact... You're really slipping these days.

Nonetheless, you pose an interesting point about perspective. That said, considering that creationists don't subscribe to evolution, it must qualify as a superstition.

Certainly the science-community would take exception, however from the perspective of anyone that wasn't convinced as to completeness of the theory (due to inability to replicate like you mentioned), it then qualifies as superstition.

Interesting.

Ever notice that you can be religious without being a creationist?

Ever notice that you cannot be a creationist whithout being religious?

Do creationists have problems with the scientific principles that state that 2+2=4, or that 17 is a prime number, or the algebra of SU(2)? No. Do they have problems with ballistics, and basic electro magnetism? No. Do they think that water is not made of hydrogen and oxygen, or that it is perfectly safe to drink sulfuric acid? No. Do they have any actual complaints about the scientific method itself? No.

What do they complain about? Natural selection. Not evolution. The rest of the science is fine, but natural selection is not. Science is fine as long as it is automobiles, airplanes and televisions. But once it states that humans are not the preferred creations of a desert god, well its gone too far.

In Canada, we do not believe that parents have the right to force ignorance upon their children. This is why parents must enrol their children in school. We do not force religion on people and so we do not teach things such as creationism. Why exactly should we not teach science to people? Because the parents are unscientific, so too should be their children?

So, let us go back to the stone ages, since internal combustion and electricity are all superstition and are not real. Let us drink battery acid, since its toxicity is just the opinion of some scientist. Let us drop our atomic bombs, since quantum mechanics is just a theory.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The OP is just more evidence that religion is child abuse.

It is a grave injustice and wholly unfair to limit a childs future by giving them a substandard education.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Niflmir,

We've gone through this, albeit, you've ducked the questions for the most part.

Do creationists have problems with the scientific principles that state that 2+2=4

Personally, I believe that evolution is the most likely explanation, however, unlike the hard-core scientific community, I am not arrogant enough to believe that just becausea theory has the scientific moniker behind it, that somehow it is an indisputable fact that applies throughout the cosmos.

We talked about the 2+2=4 example. The reality is that there are a myriad of proofs employing existing and accepted mathematical principles that prove that 2+2 does NOT equal 4.

As you pointed-out last time, those proofs don't apply if you define '1' in your preferred manner... I guess that one can only hope that your defintion of '1' is not only correct, but also the solitary manner that it is applied everywhere.

In Canada, we do not believe that parents have the right to force ignorance upon their children. This is why parents must enrol their children in school. We do not force religion on people and so we do not teach things such as creationism. Why exactly should we not teach science to people? Because the parents are unscientific, so too should be their children?.

In Canada, we also enjoy a multitude of freedoms including the luxury of freedom of practicing religion.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Gilbert is right, Captain. I have established my point, that religious right in Alberta is very influential (25% of the population).

Now, if you want to talk about religious right in USA, I will be happy to do so. Start a separate thread.

You made a point and I am investigating the intricacies within.

That said, I see no reason to start a seperate thread on the manner of your personal fundamentalism. You see, I believe that it has a direct application in that you deem the fundamentalist position as integral in Alberta... I wish to investigate your admitted fundamentalism (as we established through empirical evidence).

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Gilbert is right, Captain. I have established my point, that religious right in Alberta is very influential (25% of the population).

Now, if you want to talk about religious right in USA, I will be happy to do so. Start a separate thread.

I thought that your point was that you believed that no one should be able to opt out (or, to be more specific, have their children opt out) of parts of the official school curriculum.