Employers will be allowed to ask for Facebook Passwords

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
my answer would be: "Sorry, but I'm afraid I will have to disqualify you as a company that I feel I could work with at this time. Feel free to contact me in the future if your existing policies change. Have a good day."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't get it. Why would i not submit a sample for testing?

Just because a person refuses does not mean they are using illegal drugs. The right for a company to request or enforce random sampling will soon be addressed by the SCoC.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Just because a person refuses does not mean they are using illegal drugs. The right for a company to request or enforce random sampling will soon be addressed by the SCoC.

I get that but i do not think it is unreasonable given the number of drug users. Perhaps the 420 crowd is upset. I fired numerous of those idiots who thought it was normal to toke several times a day while working.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Absolutely, Nobody knows everything about a computer, just because I learned early on how to block third party cookies doesn't mean everybody does, but also not everybody feels the need to do it.....
And as for clearing cookies I only feel the need for it after I have been to my bank website, and before doing any further surfing....I usually use CCleaner for that. some tests I have done shows that it does the job.
My wife runs it only once a day or since she uses her Pc mostly for games.....when she feel it starts to slow down a bit.

Oh, now I get it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where all these crumbs around my computer were coming from. ;-)

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I get that but i do not think it is unreasonable given the number of drug users. Perhaps the 420 crowd is upset. I fired numerous of those idiots who thought it was normal to toke several times a day while working.

I don't care if it's reasonable. I ain't doing it. They've looked at my CV, they've spoken to my references, they've spoken to me. If, after that, my word isn't good enough for them, screw 'em.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I don't care if it's reasonable. I ain't doing it. They've looked at my CV, they've spoken to my references, they've spoken to me. If, after that, my word isn't good enough for them, screw 'em.

I don't blame a company a damn bit about not trusting people. I have seen what trust does.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I don't blame a company a damn bit about not trusting people. I have seen what trust does.

Trust does wonderful things, I've found.

I'm sure the next guy that came along peed in a cup for them. Just wasn;t going to be me. It wasn't so much the principle--if they had been offering me double what I was alredy making, I would have golden-showered the guy right then and there. But for incremental pay increase--not worth it. I don't need a HR department with their nose in my pants.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Three things I do on facebook

• Promote and interact with people who read my work
  • Touch base with friends old and new
  • Post photographs I've taken
Three things I don't do on Facebook

• Slag my employer
  • Engage in illegal activity like post pics of myself smoking weed
  • Play their stupid games so stop sending me invites to play Mafia Wars or Farmville!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture, it's not actually about you. It's about a system they've developed to ensure 0 tolerance, and the only way to achieve that is to test EVERYBODY. Once they start making exceptions for any reason the system is eventually going to fail.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I have a facebook account, because there are community sales and other interesting things to find there, however I do not actually use my real name, just one that my family and friends recognize. So if someone wanted my password, first they would have to know the name I use.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This doesn't have much to do with me as I am my own employer. That is unless
one of my other personalities wants the information. Seriously, if you want to
avoid nasty things ending up in places you don't want. Do not post anything
you don't want people to see.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Any and all of those who make up "officaldom" and want to know your password, probably already do.

But that's just me being paranoid.

But I have a facebook account.

But if I'm paranoid, I shouldn't

So, maybe I only think I have one.

Hoooonose ? 8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This doesn't have much to do with me as I am my own employer. That is unless
one of my other personalities wants the information. Seriously, if you want to
avoid nasty things ending up in places you don't want. Do not post anything
you don't want people to see.

Unfortunately, the human animal has a propensity to show off and generally speaking can't keep their mouths shut (maybe I should say can't keep OUR mouths shut) -:)