Employers will be allowed to ask for Facebook Passwords

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Again, don't put anything on the net if you don't want it spread planetwide.
A while back I posted a link that explained how someone could ID you and locate you after your using your cellphone a few times. And yet at least one of you thinks computers are a hazard and the rest of us are all ignorant of them. How about calling me on your cell and telling me aaaaaaaall about e-hazards. :D

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Again, don't put anything on the net if you don't want it spread planetwide.
A while back I posted a link that explained how someone could ID you and locate you after your using your cellphone a few times. And yet at least one of you thinks computers are a hazard and the rest of us are all ignorant of them. How about calling me on your cell and telling me aaaaaaaall about e-hazards. :D

I meant most of you, an error in including you apparently. Oh wait, you just changed that.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Yep. We is all stoopid, misster Inestine.

Still pissed cause i didn't kiss your *** when i joined huh?

Facebook Just Revealed A Plan To Kill The Tracking Cookie

Jim Edwards | Jan. 24, 2013, 10:52 AM | 7,373 | 5

David Baser / Linkedin
Facebook's David Baser

Facebook product manager David Baser gave a nice, detailed interview to AdExchanger in which he revealed that Facebook has a plan that, if successful, will make the infamous tracking cookie look like a second class relic of history. Cookies are the little bits of code that advertisers drop onto web users' browsers in order to follow them around the web and target them with relevant ads. They don't identify users specifically, but they do identify your interests based on the sites you look at.
Facebook, however, is working on something much more targeted. Baser calls it "Optimized CPM." (Cost per thousand, or "mille," is a standard ad-pricing measurement.)
OCPM is so simple (in principle), it's brilliant. Facebook knows that users who log in mostly forget to log out, and thus they can be tracked around the web all day, especially if they interact with those "like" buttons that many non-Facebook web pages have installed (like the one on top of this page).
The difference between cookies and Facebook user IDs, Baser says, is that cookies are anonymous and don't really know who you are, whereas your Facebook user ID is actually you. Also, your Facebook ID follows you easily from your phone to your laptop and back. Cookies can't do that.
In plain English, it means that private, untracked web browsing will become a thing of the past for anyone who forgets to log out of Facebook.
By targeting ads at the user IDs, Facebook can find out which users are more likely to buy things than others. Those users can then be grouped together and targeted with ads. Those audiences have much greater conversion rates -- ie sales generated -- than with cookie targeting, Baser believes. This is called "Conversion Measurement," and when it's linked to OCPM, advertisers will come to regard the cookie as the poor cousin of web advertising, Baser hints.
It's important to note that advertisers won't know that they're targeting "you" specifically with ads. Just that facebook's algorithms have grouped your account into a pool with similar behavior that can be targeted. The system will be anonymous, in other words, even though it's based on your actual Facebook identity.
Here are the highlights from the Baser Q&A:
"The key difference is that other conversion measurement systems rely on dropping cookies on the users when they see or click on the ad. We understand who the user is regardless of whether they’re logged into Facebook on the app or on the mobile phone."
"Once we have this system based on user IDs and not based on cookies, we can use it to have consistent attribution across web, mobile and even multi-browser on the desktop."
"Right now our primary focus is on two things. One is getting the measurement system adopted as widely as possible, and two is providing high quality optimization based on measurement."

Just a few things for those who may want to know and check further.

Topic: Privacy

4Comments
1 Vote

more +

Mozilla begins baking new patch to kill tracking cookies

Summary: A new patch for Firefox is now being tested by Mozilla and could see third party cookies banned from being installed if a user hasn't directly visited the cookie owner.

By Michael Lee | March 26, 2013 -- 05:02 GMT (22:02 PDT)

Mozilla has begun to experiment with a new patch for Firefox, which changes whether cookies from third parties are allowed.
Citing Safari as its driving force behind the new approach, the patch will require users to "directly interact with a site or company for a cookie to be installed on their machine".
Currently, a site might call upon elements from other sites, such as advertising units, which in turn store cookies on the user's computer. These can then be recalled at a later date or time to gain an insight into user habits.
Mozilla's new patch means that these third party cookies will not be permitted on the user's computer unless they take the time to visit the third party site directly.
Mozilla Global Privacy and Public Policy Leader Alex Fowler has been testing the release and found that in a morning's worth of browsing a few news sites, the new patch blocked over 300 third party cookies without any ill effect.
"I cleared all my cookies before visiting these sites, and then re-performed this process several times as I wanted to verify that, in fact, four sites did lead to over 300 cookies from more than 100 companies I had not visited. Display ads and sharing widgets on the sites worked fine, and as I clicked on them, the various parties involved were able to set cookies," he wrote on the Mozilla privacy blog.
The new patch is currently only available in the early developer builds of Firefox, and Fowler expects it will take several months of community and user feedback before it makes an appearance in the beta and general releases of Firefox.
Those wishing to test the early build can download the "Firefox Nightly" build.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Still pissed cause i didn't kiss your *** when i joined huh?
Oh, yeah, that's it. You got it.

Facebook Just Revealed A Plan To Kill The Tracking Cookie

Jim Edwards | Jan. 24, 2013, 10:52 AM | 7,373 | 5

David Baser / Linkedin
Facebook's David Baser

Facebook product manager David Baser gave a nice, detailed interview to AdExchanger in which he revealed that Facebook has a plan that, if successful, will make the infamous tracking cookie look like a second class relic of history. Cookies are the little bits of code that advertisers drop onto web users' browsers in order to follow them around the web and target them with relevant ads. They don't identify users specifically, but they do identify your interests based on the sites you look at.
Facebook, however, is working on something much more targeted. Baser calls it "Optimized CPM." (Cost per thousand, or "mille," is a standard ad-pricing measurement.)
OCPM is so simple (in principle), it's brilliant. Facebook knows that users who log in mostly forget to log out, and thus they can be tracked around the web all day, especially if they interact with those "like" buttons that many non-Facebook web pages have installed (like the one on top of this page).
The difference between cookies and Facebook user IDs, Baser says, is that cookies are anonymous and don't really know who you are, whereas your Facebook user ID is actually you. Also, your Facebook ID follows you easily from your phone to your laptop and back. Cookies can't do that.
In plain English, it means that private, untracked web browsing will become a thing of the past for anyone who forgets to log out of Facebook.
By targeting ads at the user IDs, Facebook can find out which users are more likely to buy things than others. Those users can then be grouped together and targeted with ads. Those audiences have much greater conversion rates -- ie sales generated -- than with cookie targeting, Baser believes. This is called "Conversion Measurement," and when it's linked to OCPM, advertisers will come to regard the cookie as the poor cousin of web advertising, Baser hints.
It's important to note that advertisers won't know that they're targeting "you" specifically with ads. Just that facebook's algorithms have grouped your account into a pool with similar behavior that can be targeted. The system will be anonymous, in other words, even though it's based on your actual Facebook identity.
Here are the highlights from the Baser Q&A:
"The key difference is that other conversion measurement systems rely on dropping cookies on the users when they see or click on the ad. We understand who the user is regardless of whether they’re logged into Facebook on the app or on the mobile phone."
"Once we have this system based on user IDs and not based on cookies, we can use it to have consistent attribution across web, mobile and even multi-browser on the desktop."
"Right now our primary focus is on two things. One is getting the measurement system adopted as widely as possible, and two is providing high quality optimization based on measurement."

Just a few things for those who may want to know and check further.

Topic: Privacy

4Comments
1 Vote

more +

Mozilla begins baking new patch to kill tracking cookies

Summary: A new patch for Firefox is now being tested by Mozilla and could see third party cookies banned from being installed if a user hasn't directly visited the cookie owner.

By Michael Lee | March 26, 2013 -- 05:02 GMT (22:02 PDT)

Mozilla has begun to experiment with a new patch for Firefox, which changes whether cookies from third parties are allowed.
Citing Safari as its driving force behind the new approach, the patch will require users to "directly interact with a site or company for a cookie to be installed on their machine".
Currently, a site might call upon elements from other sites, such as advertising units, which in turn store cookies on the user's computer. These can then be recalled at a later date or time to gain an insight into user habits.
Mozilla's new patch means that these third party cookies will not be permitted on the user's computer unless they take the time to visit the third party site directly.
Mozilla Global Privacy and Public Policy Leader Alex Fowler has been testing the release and found that in a morning's worth of browsing a few news sites, the new patch blocked over 300 third party cookies without any ill effect.
"I cleared all my cookies before visiting these sites, and then re-performed this process several times as I wanted to verify that, in fact, four sites did lead to over 300 cookies from more than 100 companies I had not visited. Display ads and sharing widgets on the sites worked fine, and as I clicked on them, the various parties involved were able to set cookies," he wrote on the Mozilla privacy blog.
The new patch is currently only available in the early developer builds of Firefox, and Fowler expects it will take several months of community and user feedback before it makes an appearance in the beta and general releases of Firefox.
Those wishing to test the early build can download the "Firefox Nightly" build.
It's pretty easy to block 3rd party cookies. I'm surprised Mozilla actually needed a patch for it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Oh, yeah, that's it. You got it.

It's pretty easy to block 3rd party cookies. I'm surprised Mozilla actually needed a patch for it.

Absolutely, Nobody knows everything about a computer, just because I learned early on how to block third party cookies doesn't mean everybody does, but also not everybody feels the need to do it.....
And as for clearing cookies I only feel the need for it after I have been to my bank website, and before doing any further surfing....I usually use CCleaner for that. some tests I have done shows that it does the job.
My wife runs it only once a day or since she uses her Pc mostly for games.....when she feel it starts to slow down a bit.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I just wouldn't give them my password. It's creepy. I don't want to work for creeps.

If it were my HR department, I'd be concerned. What kind of talent is walking out the door? Who are you ending up with, if these people are desperate enough to have you combing through their personal lives.

I know I turned down one job in the US when they wanted me to pee in a bottle. I told them it would never occur to me to show up to work under the uinfluence of drugs. They said they needed to do the test anyway. I said I didn't want to work for them then, no hard feelings.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just wouldn't give them my password. It's creepy. I don't want to work for creeps.

If it were my HR department, I'd be concerned. What kind of talent is walking out the door? Who are you ending up with, if these people are desperate enough to have you combing through their personal lives.

I know I turned down one job in the US when they wanted me to pee in a bottle. I told them it would never occur to me to show up to work under the uinfluence of drugs. They said they needed to do the test anyway. I said I didn't want to work for them then, no hard feelings.

I'm of two minds about that situation. Like you, I would probably tell them the same thing but I guess from their point of view.............well to put it short and sweet- "he who pays the piper calls the tune" but as you said, what quality of employee would they be getting?