Earth Hour: Turn Off the Lights!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
2 you may not be aware of - Bob Hope donated over a billion dollars during his life - And Paul newman - Hundreds of millions -

Then they do not fall into the previous category.;-) It sounds like they at least put their money where their mouths were.:smile:

And I wasn't aware of that fact. That is certainly a lot of money.8O

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's too bad more people don't get into this stuff. I had a great time hanging out without using power at all. Sure it's symbolic but it's also a collective statement in wanting to solve one of the great problems of our time. Not the solution but the desire to find one.

Why the need to act contrary? No only choosing not to join in but going about turning lights on simply to be contrary? In that an expression of some individuality or something?

Also someone mentioned lemmings? You should know that lemmings running off a cliff for no reason altogether is something Disney set up. Lemmings don't actually do that and those ones were forced by Disney Pictures off a cliff for the movie. So mentioning that is a touch ironic don't you think?:p

Anyway to each his own I suppose.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I actually didn't do it because I usually do my best to save electricity most of the time and often turn off the lights on regular days.

Unpluging Power Supplies and doing much more to save power is in my opinion a lot more of value to me and the planet then 1 hr a year.

Making sure we recycle and do not pollute our planet is also critical to keeping this Earth clean and a better place for our kids future.

I am all is favour of doing what is best for this place but doing it at times that are planned and set do not seem to make sense to me as it would seem that everyone turning back on the lights could be a greater risk of overloading the grids then doing it on a regular basis.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
lights will be turned off all over the world, to reduce greenhouse gases,
What a bunch of sheeple! Do you really think the power companies are going to shut down any capacity for 1 hour? They'll keep generating the stuff even if it doesn't get used. Besides, there'll be a surge in demand when all the fools turn their power back on.

I can't see how pumping 8 trillion tons of carbon dioxide, a known greenhouse gas into the atmosphere, can have no effect.
Still on that kick eh #juan ? It's not that it will have no effect, only that it will have miniscule effect. Remember, human emissions only constitute 3% of total worldwide emissions. But we've been over this before haven't we? (By the way, most studies indicate that CO2 stays in the air for only about 7 years.)

Me, I turned on every light in and out of the house, including my outdoor christmas light strings (the old, bright incandescants) as a demonstration that I can think for myself.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

What a bunch of sheeple! Do you really think the power companies are going to shut down any capacity for 1 hour? They'll keep generating the stuff even if it doesn't get used. Besides, there'll be a surge in demand when all the fools turn their power back on.

Still on that kick eh #juan ? It's not that it will have no effect, only that it will have miniscule effect. Remember, human emissions only constitute 3% of total worldwide emissions. But we've been over this before haven't we? (By the way, most studies indicate that CO2 stays in the air for only about 7 years.)

Me, I turned on every light in and out of the house, including my outdoor christmas light strings (the old, bright incandescants) as a demonstration that I can think for myself.

You've just proven you can't think, and have no idea what energy is. It would be nice if all we produced is CO2 but CO2 is only one of the greenhouse gases.

I just turned my lights on again. It is only a gesture I know but it cost little effort and we have to teach the ignorant.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Juan, global warming deniers come in many sizes and shapes. The thing that have in common is of course that they are all strong anti-environment, they couldn’t’ give a damn about what happens to the environment.
I wonder why you would make such an absurd statement. Are you trying to demonize the deniers? I happen to be a denier, yet I am quite concerned about the environment. All my vegetable waste is put into my vegetable garden, I recycle, I don't litter and do my best not to pollute soil, water or air. I know many other deniers and they are likewise concerned about the environment. The other thing we have in common is that we are aware that the AGW scam is just that, a scam.

But they come in many shapes and sizes.

Some deny that global warming is taking place. According to them earth is cooling down and we are about to enter an ice age.
That's only partly true. All of us agree that there's been a general warming trend since the end of the Little Ice Age. And all of us also are aware that over the last 10 years we've entered a slight cooling and that solar scientists are predicting that this cooling may last for a few decades and could be as severe as the period of history known as the Little Ice Age. None of us believe that we are entering an ice age, although we know that the current interglacial is relatively long and the next ice age could be soon upon us.

Some admit that global warming is taking place, but claim that it is a good thing.
Indeed global warming has always been a good thing in the past and all evidence indicates that it would be better again. Certainly current conditions are much more favorable to the human race than conditions were during the aformentioned Little Ice Age.

Some admit that global warming is taking place and it may increase earth’s temperature and it is not a good thing, but claim that it is all caused by nature, that man has nothing to do with it (I am old enough to remember Reagan’s famous quote, ‘trees cause pollution’).
Well you may want us to believe that, but I'm not aware of any deniers who think global warming is not a good thing. There are people who believe in global warming and think it's not a good thing, and think that man does have something to do with it, but believe that all our efforts to stop it will have no noticeable effect while causing massive harm to mankind so we shouldn't try. Bjorn Lomborg springs to mind.

Still some others (and I include religious right among these) don’t give a damn. So we are producing greenhouse gases in large quantities, maybe that is increasing the temperature. So who cares? Bible has given humankind a God given mandate to pollute, and there is nothing wrong with people producing greenhouse gases.
Again, this one is a carricature devised to ridicule some deniers. I happen to know a few religious fundies, and while it's frustrating to try to discuss religion with them, when it comes to global warming and the environment, some of them are believers and some are deniers. The deniers care about the environment as much as any of us but like the rest of us they haven't been duped by the alarmist hucksters. I must admit that there may be a few of the religious right that are as you describe, lord knows they do go to some extremes sometimes, but I haven't come across any.

So while many people, many scientists (including scientific consensus) think that we are producing too much greenhouse gases, deniers couldn’t give a damn (though they come at it from several different angles).
Scientific consensus? Irrelevant. Albert Einstein, when told that 200 scientists had signed a statement opposing his theory of relativity said, "Two hundred? All it takes is one with evidence." Get it? Only evidence is relevant.

You're right that we couldn't give a damn about the amount of greenhouse gas we're producing. That's because it's harmless and actually is beneficial in that it increases plant growth.

Last edited:

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Earth Hour in Saskatoon

... was a complete, thorough, and unmitigated failure.

Last year when we drove around during the witching hour, there seemed to be a few more darkened houses than usual, especially in the more upscale "liberal" part of the city. That's where we saw a few houses with candles proudly displayed in windows as if to say, "look at me ... look at me ... I'm such a wonderful earth worshiper" ... even though I live in a 3500 hundred square foot, $750,000, energy inefficient character home and I'm 55 years old with no kids at home.

This year, the city was most definitely ignoring Earth Hour ... in fact, it looked more like Hour of Power in Saskatoon. Cars everywhere, lights gleaming, and an unusual number of Christmas lights on ... it almost made one want to begin gift giving early.

Anyway, that's that. The radio stations and media in general wanted us all to believe that there was some sort of "movement" afoot. The only movement I saw was that of cars whizzing by on their way to hockey games, bars, restaurants, and coffee shops ... which were all full.

Saskatoon gave the WWF and IPCC a big fat "screw you" tonight. I guess it just goes to show that when it comes to Global Warming, Westerners still have their heads screwed on straight.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Aberta electricity consumption was down 3.5%.

Saskatoon was too busy chasing down violent criminals to participate. Afterall, it is the 9th most dangerous city in Earth.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

As long as you can pay for the extra cost of wasted lights go crazy. Can you let me know when you're going to teach the bank a lesson though? I want to be around to grab some of the cash you throw out when you show everyone that you can think about finances for your self. :lol:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Saskatoon was too busy chasing down violent criminals to participate. Afterall, it is the 9th most dangerous city in Earth.

Kreskin, Alberta? Who would have thought it? Oil producing Alberta, where (I assume) it would be considered blasphemy, sacrilege to say anything against oil industry, or in favor of environment?

If there was a noticeable impact in Alberta, there is hope yet.

Incidentally, I don’t believe what Extrafire is saying about Saskatoon, it may or may t be true. He is giving his personal (and no doubt biased) opinion, he is not giving any statistics (like you did). So I will wait to see what happened in Saskatoon until I see the numbers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You're right that we couldn't give a damn about the amount of greenhouse gas we're producing.

Extrafire, so we are in agreement, anti-environmentalists don’t give a damn about how much greenhouse gases they produce. Where we differ is that while you attribute virtuous, noble motives to anti-environmentalists (they are producing more greenhouse gases because they want to help the environment, help the mankind?), I attribute to them simple, normal, human motives, namely, greed (big business), ignorance and laziness (ordinary, run of the mill anti-environmentalist) and religion (religious right).

No doubt it is this same attitude which killed off buffalos, grizzly bears, wolves, passenger pigeons and more in USA. This sort of mentality would do incalculable, irreversible harm to something, all the while claiming the purest, noblest of motives. Thus the motive behind killing off the wildlife in USA was to convert Natives to Christianity, to bring light and civilization to them.

I have no doubt you think you are doing mankind a big favor by switching on all the lights, in general polluting to your heart’s content.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I am quite concerned about the environment. All my vegetable waste is put into my vegetable garden, I recycle, I don't litter and do my best not to pollute soil, water or air. I know many other deniers and they are likewise concerned about the environment.

Extrafire, this is internet, anybody can say anything. I could claim that I am really Bill Gates. There is no way to verify anything we say about ourselves here in these blogs.

But as they say, words speak louder than actions. From what you are saying about environment, you don’t come across as being friendly to the environment at all. In fact, you come across as positively hostile to environmentalism.

For instance, suppose I was opposed to earth hour, how would I put it? I would say to the supporters, look, I don’t see any point in it, I think it is nonsense. However, it won’t do any harm. At best it will save some energy, at worst it is neutral. So go ahead with your little project, good luck.

That is what an environmentalist, who is opposed to earth hour, would say. From what you are saying (that greenhouse gases are good from environment, you almost seem to imply that those of us who are trying to reduce GHGs are traitors to environment), I don’t think there any love lost between you and environment.

That sounds the language of a rabid anti-environmentalist to me. So you will pardon me if I am skeptical about all the supposedly pro environment things you claim you do. Maybe you do them and maybe you don’t, we just don’t know. After all, anybody can claim to be concerned about environment, without doing anything about it.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Scientific consensus? Irrelevant. Albert Einstein, when told that 200 scientists had signed a statement opposing his theory of relativity said, "Two hundred? All it takes is one with evidence." Get it? Only evidence is relevant.

That is how science works, extrafire, by consensus (consensus among scientists that is, not among general population). As to Einstein, he does not show up more than say once a century.

If you have some anti-environment Einstein, somebody whose word we are supposed to accept (that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by Al Qaeda to ruin North America’s economy), why don’t you produce him? Then we could accept his unsupported word (on your guarantee that he indeed is another Einstein, of course) and throw the established scientific wisdom away into a trash can.

Until you do that, I go with scientific consensus.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Toronto's consumption was down 15%. I haven't heard an Ontario figure.