Does Maxime Bernier's PPC stand a chance?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I think he does. Though I fundamentally disagree on many aspects of his immigration plan, I won't deny that his hard positions on free trade, corporate subsidies, and supply-management resonate me. If his local candidate softens the immigration stance somewhat but is just as form as Bernier or more so on free trade, I could see myself suspending my disagreement on the immigration front to support free trade. Immigration could be a fight for another day.

Another candidate I'd consider would be the Libertarian-Party candidate, though at least in my local riding, it usually though not always presents sub-par candidates. We'll see what Bernier Barrier and the others present in my riding.

My Liberal NO seems reasonable for the most part, the COX candidate doesn't share much so I know little about him.

What is it about his immigration plan that you disagree with? Just curious as I'm in agreement with what I've read about it, unless I've missed something. It's not like he's anti-immigrant, that's for sure!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Mr Bernier will do well in Quebec and on the prairies.

Racist hotbeds you know.

You know hoid, you really are a very angry person. You need to cool your jets and relax! The prairies are not a hot bed of racists - cuz you have to be one to recognize one and I don't recognize any that I've ever met!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Oh FFS...

Oh dear Gods, NOT 1%! How HORRIBLE.

Sadly there are some who would take this idiocy as serious. :(

Absolutely and why not? Not much alternatives out there so may as well try something new. Liberal and Liberal lite are pretty much the only thing out there. The fact that you think it's "horrible" makes me think that you are not open to new or better ideas or, at the very least not open to look for alternative solutions to very real problems. And that's okay too. Just sayin....

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
In answer to the question, why not? Maybe not this time, but who knows, maybe next time. If one doesn't try, you'll never know right? He might eventually succeed or eventually fail but at least he's giving people an alternative which is much more than I can say for some.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
white natty wants me to calm down

What the hell is a "white natty?" Have no clue what you're talking about! I'm calm, reasonable, use common sense in my approach to this forum and my live as a rule - so simply do not understand where you're coming from. I'm a "happy camper" - but you certainly are not (for whatever reason). Just sayin.....

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Absolutely and why not? Not much alternatives out there so may as well try something new. Liberal and Liberal lite are pretty much the only thing out there. The fact that you think it's "horrible" makes me think that you are not open to new or better ideas or, at the very least not open to look for alternative solutions to very real problems. And that's okay too. Just sayin....

I agree there isn't much choice to be had and I've repeatedly said no one currently in any party leadership deserves to be PM.

If you look at what I said was "horrible", it was that this dipstick things 1% of the population has to be so feared he wants to stop immigration. I was being sarcastic, obviously. Or maybe not so obvious?

I'm glad he has no problem with immigrants (supposedly but I doubt it from what I've read) but I think he should realize that, as Canadian citizens, it's THEIR taxpayer money too that goes into Government, so why shouldn't they see some kickback with it in the form of cultural support? If you don't support taxpayer money going to pay for cultural support, then I guess we should all start looking at how to become part of the Native Canadian tribes, as they are the only people in Canada who didn't immigrate within the past 600 years or so, thus their culture is the true culture of Canada, not the ones immigrants bring in. (How's that for an alternative solution to the problem?)

The only 'problem' with immigration is that I do think it needs to be looked at, refined and streamlined. I think we have to be careful about who we let into Canada, but I also think we need to be compassionate as well and understanding of the fact that the worlds less safe than it used to be and people want to *be* safe, and Canada is one of the safer places in the world to go to. As such, we're going to get more people wanting to come here. We might as well accept that fact, and prepare for it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I agree there isn't much choice to be had and I've repeatedly said no one currently in any party leadership deserves to be PM.

If you look at what I said was "horrible", it was that this dipstick things 1% of the population has to be so feared he wants to stop immigration. I was being sarcastic, obviously. Or maybe not so obvious?

I'm glad he has no problem with immigrants (supposedly but I doubt it from what I've read) but I think he should realize that, as Canadian citizens, it's THEIR taxpayer money too that goes into Government, so why shouldn't they see some kickback with it in the form of cultural support? If you don't support taxpayer money going to pay for cultural support, then I guess we should all start looking at how to become part of the Native Canadian tribes, as they are the only people in Canada who didn't immigrate within the past 600 years or so, thus their culture is the true culture of Canada, not the ones immigrants bring in. (How's that for an alternative solution to the problem?)

The only 'problem' with immigration is that I do think it needs to be looked at, refined and streamlined. I think we have to be careful about who we let into Canada, but I also think we need to be compassionate as well and understanding of the fact that the worlds less safe than it used to be and people want to *be* safe, and Canada is one of the safer places in the world to go to. As such, we're going to get more people wanting to come here. We might as well accept that fact, and prepare for it.
People have always wanted to come here , and the world has always been unsafe . Prior to the end of the Vietnam war we were bringing most immigrants from commonwealth countries , that changed with the boat people , then shifted to Africa and the Middle East . These people have a harder time assimilating than commonwealth people’s typically had . We are now seeing ghettoization happening in certain areas , is that what we want ?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
^here is why Bernier stands a good chance.

He will demonize immigrants just like all good white nattys do.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Bernier wants to end Canada's official bilingualism which ought to be worth 5% of the Western vote and 0.000015% of the Quebec vote.

Whacky Max has an ice cube's chance in hell if getting re-elected in this own riding.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Bernier wants to end Canada's official bilingualism which ought to be worth 5% of the Western vote and 0.000015% of the Quebec vote.

Whacky Max has an ice cube's chance in hell if getting re-elected in this own riding.
Do you think official bilingualism is good for Canada ?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Bilingualism is a shitshow.

I actually have no problem with being bilingual, but it's HOW that bilingualism is dealt with that is the issue.

Canada, despite the conception of it, is NOT bilingual.

Quebec is not bilingual.

New Brunswick is not bilingual.

What Canada and NB are is English with forced French language laws to give in to Quebec.

What Quebec is, is French with decreasing English rights.

That's not bilingualism.