‘Do you have running water? I don’t and I live in Canada’

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The government has a singular mind you can tap into? Interesting.

The government of today is hardly hands off, otherwise it would have done absolutely nothing during the 2009 recession ror they wouldn't have blocked the sale of Telesat to a US defence company and they would have abolished the CRTC by now.

The govt isn't always hands off. You're saying there aren't people shouting at the govt to spend more during the recession? The NDPers are right up there for ever bigger deficits-the bigger the better. For Telesat, this is complicated, many, like me, wanted this hi-tech company kept in Canada, and it was in the news saying so. Many want the CRTC, but to adjust.

When federal govt aggressively moved Indians around up north decades ago, they have recieved much negative publiciy over it. So the fed govt is a bit reluctant to act assertively with Indians, for better and for worse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are a stupid moron. A stupid ugly moron who eats shi*. *uck off and die.

So clueless morons, why don't you and you're brilliant friends here clean up abo reserves and show how great you are since you feel so strongly about abos?

Are DM and Gerry one of the same????????????:lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The fur trade and hunting days are long over for everyone, to pretend they will ever return, is absurd. Those who think they will, and use resources to do so, are enablers, liars, charlatans and crooks.
Lat summer I bought a section of land from a trapper that died. He was sitting on $2.6Million in savings according to his drooling family.

If you don't want a real job maybe a trap line might do you good?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The PC crowd doesn't like criticism nor the constant bad news regarding aboriginals. And having opinions on such topics is something PCers really really do not like because they feel they are handling things just fine. Even talk about Indians and you are racist. Even one peep about them lables you because white people still have so much guilt to shed that they are not allowed to even speak on the topic. Just nod. A shakeup is required.

I checked Barlow's website, The Council of Canadians, not much about aboriginals and water. As in no plans or records of whay the COC is doing to improve the water on reserves. There's no system for this, they could do it. Worry less about South Africa and India, and more about Canada.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Soooooooo ... did anyone solve the problem? People have been solving the water problem in rural parts of Canada for ages ... it's not the same as living in a city or having the government provide, but it works just fine.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Soooooooo ... did anyone solve the problem? People have been solving the water problem in rural parts of Canada for ages ... it's not the same as living in a city or having the government provide, but it works just fine.
Yup It's been fixed. We'll all have to drink beer and tea like we have for thousands of years.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Works for me ... although I prefer coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

My parents moved to a piece of land that did not have running water or sewer system. They did not expect the federal, provincial or local government to solve the problem. They solved it themselves. Why can't other people do that?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Works for me ... although I prefer coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

My parents moved to a piece of land that did not have running water or sewer system. They did not expect the federal, provincial or local government to solve the problem. They solved it themselves. Why can't other people do that?[/QUOTE]

Shortage of cash?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

My parents moved to a piece of land that did not have running water or sewer system. They did not expect the federal, provincial or local government to solve the problem. They solved it themselves. Why can't other people do that?

Shortage of cash?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I understood that some of the peoples, like First Nation, received royalties for some reason or another. Why isn't that money used to provide services to the community ... if they can't manage on their own? ... or they should just manage on their own. It's a one time cost with some maintenance ... I don't see the problem.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Try getting a permit to do it yourself.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
My parents actually built two houses in places where there was no water. I didn't hear about any problems getting a building permit ... and of course with a building permit comes all the stuff like water wells and septic fields.

In what community is it difficult to get a permit for a water well and septic field, and how the heck did anyone get a permit to build a house without having a water/sewer solution?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Lat summer I bought a section of land from a trapper that died. He was sitting on $2.6Million in savings according to his drooling family.

If you don't want a real job maybe a trap line might do you good?

Obviously he trapped a lot of buffalo, didn't like the big city, and liked what he was doing. The plan is to get rich and have a nice quiet place in the country, only going to the city when you need to.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wells aren't cheap and If your water doesn't meet their specs you can't drink it.

Obviously he trapped a lot of buffalo, didn't like the big city, and liked what he was doing. The plan is to get rich and have a nice quiet place in the country, only going to the city when you need to.
Buffalo? Yeah he went to town daily in his Lincoln.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Does the plan include looking after water/sewage himself, or expecting some government agency to provide the service; fork over the cost?

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
The problem is that we have people from our culture trying to impose their values on people of another culture. People here cannot understand the nature of problems on reserves because we have no reference points. You would have to have lived through forced assimilation, the theft of all of your children, the residential schools with their cold hearted treatment of those children, of having everything you know taken away, your culture and spirituality demonized, beaten and thrown into solitary confinement for speaking your language, being forced to live on barren land that the "whites" didn't want, being treated as sub-humans for two hundred years, never really being accepted into the "white" social system, always being an outcast.

We are talking about generations of abuse. People who were deprived of family, love and all those things necessary to produce whole human beings. Yes, some have been able to rise above that, some have been able to assimilate (but at what cost?). It may be easy for us to sit in judgement of these people from our point of advantage, but is it right? What gives us the right?

Cliffy, I’m not talking about abuse, neglect, assimilation, theft and/or the other things you mentioned. And I’m certainly not talking about natives only. I said any nationality. Let me rephrase the question then. Why would people stay in a community that is short on jobs? Lots of people relocate because there are just no jobs in their communities.( I realize some people could not afford to be able to move.) As I said, being on welfare is only one option. But to some people, it appears that it’s their favourite option.
[/FONT][/FONT]

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
My parents moved to a piece of land that did not have running water or sewer system. They did not expect the federal, provincial or local government to solve the problem. They solved it themselves. Why can't other people do that?[/QUOTE]

Shortage of cash?

I have no idea how to install septic tanks or a sewer system anywhere, ever. I would estimate I am on the same level as your average Indian lacking clean water on this matter. I am very happy to pay so this great wet stuff mysteriously shows up out of taps. People solve water problems themselves, beyond my experience, completely. Never done it, never will. This is how other people get my money.

So I wonder, Canada, being called a nation of traders and mechanics, by Goldwin Smtih, completely fails here for abos. And I know it's not because of a lack of mechanical ability. There are other political reasons that get swept under the table and fingers get pointed all over. But plenty of money keeps going into corrupt pockets that don't build water systems.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, I’m not talking about abuse, neglect, assimilation, theft and/or the other things you mentioned. And I’m certainly not talking about natives only. I said any nationality. Let me rephrase the question then. Why would people stay in a community that is short on jobs? Lots of people relocate because there are just no jobs in their communities.( I realize some people could not afford to be able to move.) As I said, being on welfare is only one option. But to some people, it appears that it’s their favourite option.

And I know people who think jobs are slavery. I know people who would rather live in poverty than to be slaves to a system that doesn't care if they live or die because they are just a number in the machine. I know people who live on the streets because of the freedom it gives them. I know people who would rather live in paradise on subsistence wages than live in a city. I know people who would rather drink water from a clear mountain stream than some chlorinated poison soup out of a tap. I know these people because I'm one of them.

People are mesmerized by modern technology, constant access to people and information, but it is not for everybody. Some things about our society and culture are just not right. Their is no respect for the land, the inhabitants, the Earth or other people. People buy into the way things are or supposed to be, but it is not the only way. In fact, it seems to me, that it is no way to live, Why do you think there is so much violence, anger, disease, wars etc.? Something is seriously out of whack and some people can see it and don't want to participate. There are as many reason not to participate as there are people who don't. Who has the right to sit in judgement of how and where others choose to live?