Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
I don't know. Culture and circumstance maybe. I guess you'd have to try and understand how it was in Arabia in the 7th century. Seeing as how it is infested with barbaric ideologies in modern times I'm sure back in those days was even worse. Mohammed would be a product of his culture. I don't consider him to be a messenger of anyone. The Jesus who spoke the Sermon on the Mount would have been deeply Jewish. Perhaps trying to reform his culture and religion . But you are Christian Motar and probably believe in the trinity. which I do not. So your god,,and the god of islam ,,in your theology,,would probably not be the same person,,or persons.

In the long run what does it matter. You're either a decent person or you are not. All these religious beliefs are just something to speculate about.

The thread title concerns worship, LL. An easy definition for worship is " to ascribe ultimate worth."

Every person worships (ascribes ultimate worth to) someone or something. I would suggest that Muslims and Christians are as different in worship as agnostics, atheists and theists.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
You asked a question. Why are the messengers different. I answered your question as best I could . Now you change the subject. Okay. As far as Muslim Worship and Christian Worship their method is not the same, but their deity is. And as Christianity does in their 40,000 plus denominations, Islam has their own "truths", which,,,just like Christianity's 40,000 plus sects, they consider to be the "only" truth. Just like you consider that your truth is the only on that matters. In this, the two are the same, even though their methods are not.

If I were to choose any of the three,,,it would be Judaism.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There is one Christian denomination as there is only one Gospel. Gentiles since Acts:10 come under NT Law, you cannot be a Gentile and not be a member of the 7 Churches that are explained right after this verse. It is the 1st Law and they are about God having a relationship with the individual, for better or for worse. If you can exempt any Gentile from this feel free to explain just how that works.

Re:1:7:
Behold,
he cometh with clouds;
and every eye shall see him,
and they also which pierced him:
and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him.
Even so,
Amen.

Islam is made up of Gentiles according to the Bible so there are 40,002 versions of 'the Church' apparently and there are also 2 versions of Judaism .

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Muslims worship an idol, a charicature of God.

What you'll notice about Islam is it has no interior life. There is no mystical or monastic dimension to Islam, which has always anchored and nurtured the Christian faith since the earliest 'Fathers of Desert' hermits.

There is no divine dialogue in Islam as Christian reason demands, no communion, no reconciliation.. there is only submission and conformity, prayer is prescribed and public.. with brutal consequences for those who don't submit and conform.

Islam is also not a Church, which implies borders and sacred space separate from secular culture... it is social movement that defines every aspect of governance, culture, law, relationships, nationhood.

The answer to the question of whether Christians and Muslims worship the same God is NO.. because Islam worships no God at all.

Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles.. (Math. 7:15).

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
The thread title concerns worship, LL. An easy definition for worship is " to ascribe ultimate worth."

Every person worships (ascribes ultimate worth to) someone or something. I would suggest that Muslims and Christians are as different in worship as agnostics, atheists and theists.
Most people know what "Worship' means. It's kind of like telling someone what "Walking' means. I often wonder what inspires or,,puts the urge into someone to talk down to another adult in a condescending manner which,,is ultimately telling that person, you're kinda stupid. Let me help you. t's akin to you saying, I'll Pray for you'. This is the self righteous nature of your religion that I disdain.

Most people know what "Worship' means. It's kind of like telling someone what "Walking' means. I often wonder what inspires or,,puts the urge into someone to talk down to another adult in a condescending manner which,,is ultimately telling that person, you're kinda stupid. Let me help you. t's akin to you saying, I'll Pray for you'. This is the self righteous nature of your religion that I disdain.
you didn't learn that from Jesus.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
I don't know. Culture and circumstance maybe

I would suggest that the messengers of Islam and Christianity are so radically different because of whom/what they worship (ascribe ultimate worth).

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I would suggest that the messengers of Islam and Christianity are so radically different because of whom/what they worship (ascribe ultimate worth).
I am thankful I do not live in a circumstance where I would be exposed to the messengers and representatives of Islam. I have however been exposed to Christianity and it's hoard. It has not been a positive experience in my life with a few exceptions which, were separate from the mainstream.

I am thankful I do not live in a circumstance where I would be exposed to the messengers and representatives of Islam. I have however been exposed to Christianity and it's hoard. It has not been a positive experience in my life with a few exceptions which, were separate from the mainstream.
and my Christian experience had very little to do with Jesus. Mostly it was self righteous know it all, holier than thou. self appointed experts and "teacher" such as yourself.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

you didn't learn that from Jesus.

It is worthwhile in discussion to agree on the definition of terms in order to avoid debate over semantics, LL. To this end, I submitted a simple definition of worship for your consideration. If it does not meet with your approval, we can adjust it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Muslims worship an idol, a charicature of God.
Us Christians have the cross, pictures, a wide variety of books and other media that is an 'aid' too help people get closer to God, with questionable results considering the cost and the visible return.
If 'we' can represent God in a variety of short words how is that worse than the followers that cannot even mention His actual name, in the OT it is 'GOD' in that same style of text. That term alone is used for the 'one single God' (of Gods) and Passover is as important to them as it ever was.

Those 3 versions cover a large percentage of the people on earth and all 3 would be susceptible to a deception before the actual arrival that fits the prophecy.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It's the same God but both sects look to the subject differently because of the Ishmael and Isaac differences. They're rooted in the same ideology so I'd say that yes, it is the same God, but like all humans they 'went and done effed it up'.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
It is worthwhile in discussion to agree on the definition of terms in order to avoid debate over semantics, LL. To this end, I submitted a simple definition of worship for your consideration. If it does not meet with your approval, we can adjust it.
I'm sorry. but I feel you talk down to folks. I'm not up for that I've had plenty of that in my life from you people.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

and my Christian experience had very little to do with Jesus. Mostly it was self righteous know it all, holier than thou. self appointed experts and "teacher" such as yourself.

I would agree, LL, that the Object of Christian faith is Christ.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That would also mean it was the same Abraham and the same Noah and on and on. # Gospels have 3 versions of what 3 witnesses alone saw. Only when all three are compared closely do the 'differences' add depth to the story rather than confusion. The same thing here only on a much bigger scale and an agenda rather that the future being in fate's hands.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's the same God but both sects look to the subject differently because of the Ishmael and Isaac differences. They're rooted in the same ideology so I'd say that yes, it is the same God, but like all humans they 'went and done effed it up'.

Isaac is the legitimate offspring of Abram and his wife Sarai. The interrupted sacrifice of Isaac at the command of God is perfectly reflected in the New Testament in Christ's sacrifice, as the full realization of Old Testament prophesy..

Ishmael was the illegitimate offspring of Abram and his slave, Hagar. God addressed Hagar with this caveat. (Gen. 16)

“You are now pregnant
and you will give birth to a son.
You shall name him Ishmael,
for the Lord has heard of your misery.
He will be a wild donkey of a man;
his hand will be against everyone
and everyone’s hand against him,
and he will live in hostility
toward all his brothers.”

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They're rooted in the same ideology so I'd say that yes, it is the same God, but like all humans they 'went and done effed it up'.

The flood in Noah's time was God's solution to the attempt at exterminating 5 fingered people and God stopped that at the last moment. The Jews should have been able to stay in the promised land until the scattering in prophecy but because they fell into sin God sent in Neb and took the Temple away for 500 years. (and brought them back in time to fulfill the prophecy that was the bruise to the heel from Ge:3:15) Islam didn't come along until the RCC was practicing Christianity from the Latin Bible rather than the Greek and Hebrew versions that they had in 300AD, An alternative to a false version of the Gospel. As far as I know the book would have been more suited to the Gentiles from the time of Abraham until Christ comes as the one who will complete the 2nd bruise from Ge:3:15. That is the same day the Messiah prophecies are supposed to unfold.
Not so different after all.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Isaac is the legitimate offspring of Abram and his wife Sarai. The interrupted sacrifice of Isaac at the command of God is perfectly reflected in the New Testament in Christ's sacrifice, as the full realization of Old Testmant prophesy..

Ishmael was the illegitimate offspring of Abram and his slave, Hagar. God addressed Hagar with this caveat. (Gen. 16)

“You are now pregnant
towardall his brothers.”
That is a pretty accurate statement but my question would be, why would Ismael be less legitimate than Isaac. How bout Abram keep his pecker in his pants if the children he sires have to pay the consequences?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Isaac is the legitimate offspring of Abram and his wife Sarai. The interrupted sacrifice of Isaac at the command of God is perfectly reflected in the New Testament in Christ's sacrifice, as the full realization of Old Testmant prophesy..

“You are now pregnant
towardall his brothers.”
In the NT John the Baptist had to be 'sacrificed' (put into prison so he could not preach) before Jesus began preaching while showing a lot more power than John ever did.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

“You are now pregnant
toward all his brothers.”

Radically different, CS.