Deflate Gate

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There are. Russell Wilson springs to mind.

What do you call a quarterback in the CFL. A 0.25back?

Thanks again.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By the way, we still use "quarterback"; apparently, 0.25back does not have the right metre.

The origin of the term, by the way, goes back to the "leatherhead" days of the very early 20th century, when there was no league. Anybody could start up a football team, but then he would have to contact other teams and schedule games. Then the "home" team would rent a field somewhere and print up advertising, and the two teams would split the profit from ticket sales.

Tickets cost twenty-five cents, and when the pass-thrower was performing poorly, fans would shout "I want my quarter back!"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That makes a "touchback" sound really creepy.
That's when they pat each other on the butt. Back in the day, you weren't allowed to speak of butts on the radio, so the announcer would say "And Krzwckczlmpwrzycz gives Jones a congratulatory touchback for a terrific run!"

And to anticipate your next question, yes I do enjoy being this full of sh*t.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Probably Generally

The origin of the term, by the way, goes back to the "leatherhead" days of the very early 20th century, when there was no league. Anybody could start up a football team, but then he would have to contact other teams and schedule games. Then the "home" team would rent a field somewhere and print up advertising, and the two teams would split the profit from ticket sales.

Tickets cost twenty-five cents, and when the pass-thrower was performing poorly, fans would shout "I want my quarter back!"

I came from a HS that had a pretty darn good football team. On the 100th year anniversary they published a history of the team in the paper.

They talked about the first couple football games and they were played against a local college team. The first game they got killed and two weeks later they played another game and BHS was losing.

My ole HS had the ball and time ran out but there was a penalty on the other team. The HS Quarterback (also the coach) argued to the ref that the game shouldn't (not can't because the rules weren't in place as they are today) end on a defensive penalty. He was promptly punched by a college player (those were the days). He got up and continued to argue his point and the ref said "Ok... you get one more play".

Double reverse and Brockton High School beat Bridgewater State College in their first victory ever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Probably Generally

I came from a HS that had a pretty darn good football team. On the 100th year anniversary they published a history of the team in the paper.

They talked about the first couple football games and they were played against a local college team. The first game they got killed and two weeks later they played another game and BHS was losing.

My ole HS had the ball and time ran out but there was a penalty on the other team. The HS Quarterback (also the coach) argued to the ref that the game shouldn't (not can't because the rules weren't in place as they are today) end on a defensive penalty. He was promptly punched by a college player (those were the days). He got up and continued to argue his point and the ref said "Ok... you get one more play".

Double reverse and Brockton High School beat Bridgewater State College in their first victory ever.

Believe it or not, I read that story before! In some piece on the history of the game-can't-end-on-a-defensive-penalty-rule. No idea that was your school, of course.

But the high school/college thing was common. When Jim Thorpe was at the Carlisle Indian School, most of their games were against colleges.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Believe it or not, I read that story before! In some piece on the history of the game-can't-end-on-a-defensive-penalty-rule. No idea that was your school, of course.

But the high school/college thing was common. When Jim Thorpe was at the Carlisle Indian School, most of their games were against colleges.

There were a couple "firsts" supposedly in that game but I do not know if they are legends or fact. The game was played in 1897.

Of that game I was surprised that a college kid would bash a HS kid during a game... even back then. Maybe that is being naive.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
of course brady knew, how nieve for anyone to think he didn't, he is the one hAndling the bAll, he
wants it 'how' he wants it, simple.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We sure put a high priority on sports. But the high profile professional sports does create jobs for people so that is one positive about the entertainment industries.

there are thousands of people working in the service industry closely around professional sports, lots
of jobs created from pro sports, plus all of the others,coaches, trainers, equipment people, drivers, and many
i'm sure i can't even think of, as well as all of the people who taught the players all thru their
lives on their way to the pro ranks, it is huge, plus all of the medical people who look after the Athletes
within the teams walls, not counting hospitals etc., outside the organization.

and the charities who benefit from the millions raised and given from pro sport teams, the canucks for one
give and do so much for charities and children in b.c.

"Naive." No, I ain't bashing you or calling you dumb. Just helping you out a little. I agree with what you said.

thanks for the 'heads up', always thought it was nieve, so i looked it up, 'interesting'.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Whats unfair about this situation is that the equipment handlers will be fired and likely not able to work again in sports, but Brady won't even miss a game.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Whats unfair about this situation is that the equipment handlers will be fired and likely not able to work again in sports, but Brady won't even miss a game.

I doubt they will be fired and I would guess Brady will miss games.