Deflate Gate

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Biggest game of the year for the NFL and the lead-up is mired in scandal, cheating and controversy. What a sad commentary on the state of the NFL.

Go Seattle Seahawks!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
this problem won't happen at the super bowl, nfl officials are in charge of 'all' the balls.

i listened to a fellow who played in the nfl for many years, and he said that it was obviously done
on purpose.

only the equipment man, the ball boy and the quarterback,and kicker interact concerning the balls, so
the quarterback instructed the ball boy, (who has the needle) to deflate to his liking, no one else
would have known.,

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Too bad they didn't bother to do that a long time ago. I wonder if they will put cameras on the ball boys.

i wonder.

i suppose, and would expect this scandal to create a new rule from now on At their league games, maybe
officials will have to inspect the balls periodically throughout the game.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Fox sports interviewed several QBs on their tv show and all said they can immediately tell whether a ball has been doctored with. No surprise at all. Shady Brady is lying through his teeth when he pretends he did not know they were doctored.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Fox sports interviewed several QBs on their tv show and all said they can immediately tell whether a ball has been doctored with. No surprise at all. Shady Brady is lying through his teeth when he pretends he did not know they were doctored.

Not being a football connoisseur I'd like to get one thing straightened out in my mind. Is not each game played with one ball that each team handles?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not being a football connoisseur I'd like to get one thing straightened out in my mind. Is not each game played with one ball that each team handles?

No. Each team brings 12 balls with the home team supplying an extra 12. When an offence comes on the field their ball is selected for play. When the other offence comes on, the other team gets their balls. The only way a team would touch the other teams balls is during an interception or fumble.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
i wonder.

i suppose, and would expect this scandal to create a new rule from now on At their league games, maybe
officials will have to inspect the balls periodically throughout the game.
There were a few times during that game when the officials removed the ball and them replaced. The TV guys were speculating that the kicking balls were accidentally brought in. Turns out the officials were already smelling a rat.

I would love to see Seattle hand their asses to them.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
There were a few times during that game when the officials removed the ball and them replaced. The TV guys were speculating that the kicking balls were accidentally brought in. Turns out the officials were already smelling a rat.

I would love to see Seattle hand their asses to them.

Indy intercepted Brady and DE told his coach ball felt funny.

his coach told head coach, head coach told GM, GM called league, league called head official, head official called game officials.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I know it would never happen but they should have given the game to Indy. It would send a clear signal to everybody that even thinks about cheating.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If they played the game using one ball like most people do wouldn't that just eliminate one problem..............f**king around with the balls?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If they played the game using one ball like most people do wouldn't that just eliminate one problem..............f**king around with the balls?

No. The problem isn't the ball. It's that one team likes to cheat.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
FOX Sports: NFL zeroes in on locker-room attendant - NFL.com

Locker room attendant? You won't convince me that Pretty Boy didn't have a hand in this in some fashion. But it makes perfect sense that his multi-millions will be unscathed but he will let some poor sap who did what he was told (by him) take the fall and be fined likely his whole annual salary or be fired. Classless slimy a-s-s-hole.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
FOX Sports: NFL zeroes in on locker-room attendant - NFL.com

Locker room attendant? You won't convince me that Pretty Boy didn't have a hand in this in some fashion. But it makes perfect sense that his multi-millions will be unscathed but he will let some poor sap who did what he was told (by him) take the fall and be fined likely his whole annual salary or be fired. Classless slimy a-s-s-hole.

i wouldn't think they would do as you suggest, but that ball boy who deflated the ball as he was told,
also knew he was cheating, so he does have some responsibility, he will probably be fired. then there
is the equipment guy, who also would have known, so he is part of it.
but it is possibile that 'nothing' happens to any of them, after it is glazed over, and reduced to, just
a mistake.

the biggest responsibility is brady's, interesting to see how he and the nfl will slither out of it,
so that the public will think it wasn't so bad, but watch for a rule change, which is good.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Much ado about nothing. Even if true, New England won 45-7. Even accepting that deflating the balls gave them an advantage, it wouldn't be a 38-point advantage. Assume it's true and take away three touchdowns from New England. They still win 24-7.

From what I saw of the game, the Patriots could have played with flat balls and still won. :p:lol:

GO JON RYAN!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No. The problem isn't the ball. It's that one team likes to cheat.

That contradicts the news report that I heard, that the ball was under inflated. Was it done intentionally?

From what I saw of the game, the Patriots could have played with flat balls and still won. :p:lol:

GO JON RYAN!

So the Patriots didn't really have a motive for under inflating the ball?