Dan Rather the racist.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
yeah, I allready said that, rather's problem was 'how' he
got the documents, but the documents were 'true', forged
or not.

How can documents be true if they were proven to be forged documents?

Rather's problem was that he produced forged documents to make a story. The "how" was never an issue because the press does not have to divulge sources.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
How can documents be true if they were proven to be forged documents?
If the facts are correct, the facts are correct regardless of whether the author is the original author or someone claiming to be the original author. For instance, someone could produce a forged version of the Bill of Rights. Would the fact that the item was forged make a difference on what was written? Would the rights written in it all be rendered nonsense?

Rather's problem was that he produced forged documents to make a story. The "how" was never an issue because the press does not have to divulge sources.
But they could verify whether the forged stuff was true or not without leaking a source.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If the facts are correct, the facts are correct regardless of whether the author is the original author or someone claiming to be the original author. For instance, someone could produce a forged version of the Bill of Rights. Would the fact that the item was forged make a difference on what was written? Would the rights written in it all be rendered nonsense?

Well the simple fact that Rather produced documents that stated that they were GW's military evaluations and proven to be false.

If a forged document of the Bill of Rights did not say what actual Bill of Rights said how can it be used as the real Bill of Rights?

The Killian Documents in questing were forged on a computer and presented to Rather as actual documents. Rather ran ahead and did not verify the source to get the story in.

But they could verify whether the forged stuff was true or not without leaking a source.

It was proven to be untrue because the font was of Microsoft variety. They used typewriters when GW was in the Natl Guard.

CBS apologized admitting finally that they documents were faked,

"Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are authentic, which is the only acceptable journalistic standard to justify using them in the report. We should not have used them. That was a mistake, which we deeply regret."

Rather was fired.

It does not get much clearer than that.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well the simple fact that Rather produced documents that stated that they were GW's military evaluations and proven to be false.
But was the information in them correct?

If a forged document of the Bill of Rights did not say what actual Bill of Rights said how can it be used as the real Bill of Rights?
Aha, you see the light of day. :)

The Killian Documents in questing were forged on a computer and presented to Rather as actual documents. Rather ran ahead and did not verify the source to get the story in.
Other than authenticity, were the forgeries correct or not? If I say water is wet and you come along, pretend to be me and say that water is wet, you are forging my post, but water is wet regardless of who says it. The statement that water is wet is true whether I said it or a forger said it.

It was proven to be untrue because the font was of Microsoft variety. They used typewriters when GW was in the Natl Guard.
Was it proven to be untrue or was it just proven to be a forgery? There's a difference.
That daylight disappeared on you.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The old, "Join the armed forces. Travel to fascinating places, meet interesting people and kill them!" routine.

Sure, guys went for this when they couldn't get a job. They got in the US Army: decent food, an education and job training. It was in part a welfare agency post WW 2.

Percentagewise, not that many soldiers actually shoot bullets, most are in support.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Dan Rather blew it, and George Bush the flunky never got in harm's way anywhere. Most Americans don't like war so they're sending the poor and immigrants to support capitalism. Kind of a loser strategy, but then the US seems to be in decline these days. But they say, there's a lot of ruin in a country.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Which logging camp, Taxslave? Franklin, Woss , Nimpkish, Eve River?

Stillwater. I am back there working at the moment. There are trees about fourty feet tall where our house sat. We moved about three miles down the road in about 1966.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Dan Rather blew it, and George Bush the flunky never got in harm's way anywhere. Most Americans don't like war so they're sending the poor and immigrants to support capitalism. Kind of a loser strategy, but then the US seems to be in decline these days. But they say, there's a lot of ruin in a country.

That is a myth that is forever being proven false. Most folks in the military come from the middles class. It has always been that way.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But was the information in them correct?

No it wasn't as there were no other documents brought forward.

Aha, you see the light of day. :)

How so?

Other than authenticity, were the forgeries correct or not? If I say water is wet and you come along, pretend to be me and say that water is wet, you are forging my post, but water is wet regardless of who says it. The statement that water is wet is true whether I said it or a forger said it.

But the documents that presented the story that he got a bad Fitness Report in the National Guard were proven forgeries so you cannot say that they were true.

That is why he was fired. False documents, unproven accusations.

Was it proven to be untrue or was it just proven to be a forgery? There's a difference.
That daylight disappeared on you.

Apparently so because they could not produce the actual Fit Reps. It was a attempt to smear the President before an election which failed miserably.

Again...real documents supporting the forged ones could not be produced...Rather was fired...CBS apologized for putting forth a fake story.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
tallola, sounding like Obama, (blaming Bush for everything) made the following statement:

"he never ever did active duty in the military, he was in
the national guard, who never left the good ole u s of a,
and those records were tampered with, (disappeared) to remove the much
less than favourable behavior."

Serving in the National Guard IS active service.

Neither Clinton nor Obama served even in the National Guard.

And talking about "(disappeared)" documents, how about Obama's birth certificate? (I AM NOT QUESTIONING HIS CITIZENSHIP!!!) Or his college examination results?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
tallola, sounding like Obama, (blaming Bush for everything) made the following statement:

"he never ever did active duty in the military, he was in
the national guard, who never left the good ole u s of a,
and those records were tampered with, (disappeared) to remove the much
less than favourable behavior."

Serving in the National Guard IS active service.

Neither Clinton nor Obama served even in the National Guard.

And talking about "(disappeared)" documents, how about Obama's birth certificate? (I AM NOT QUESTIONING HIS CITIZENSHIP!!!) Or his college examination results?

What about his birth certificate?

Bush was F-up as a kid a F-up as a buisnessman and a F-up as president....go ahead and deny it...your God will smote you.:lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Er... I didn't hear any racist comment in the video. He was referring to Obama as a person, not about people of his race."

A few years ago, when Tiger Woods won the Masters, Fuzzy Zellers made the remarks, that the dinner at the Mastetrs dinner will be fried chicken and collard leafs.

Zellers was totally destroyed by the liberal media.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
"Er... I didn't hear any racist comment in the video. He was referring to Obama as a person, not about people of his race."

A few years ago, when Tiger Woods won the Masters, Fuzzy Zellers made the remarks, that the dinner at the Mastetrs dinner will be fried chicken and collard leafs.

Zellers was totally destroyed by the liberal media.

Rightly or wrongly in your opnion?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Rightly or wrongly in your opnion?"

Absolutely WRONGLY!

People of all persuations should learn to be normal, not politically correct!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
"Rightly or wrongly in your opnion?"

Absolutely WRONGLY!

People of all persuations should learn to be normal, not politically correct!

So what Fuzzy said was okay...is that how I can interpret what you just said.

Just trying to clarify and please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.