Czech jets touted as Canada's Snowbird replacement

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hawk's are jets.
BTW, the way I understood it, the Tutors took over from CT-133s which weren't high-wing Cessnas.

Why? We have them already. CT-155 Hawk | Aircraft | Canada’s Air Force

First of all we don't have CT-155 Hawks. In some sweetheart deal with the federal government Bombardier has leased a few Hawks from the manufacturer.

The Tudors didn't take over from the T-33s, they replaced them completely. The Tudors filled a completely different roll. We now had a jet trainer that training pilots could jump right into from a propellar driven high wing Cessna or Piper.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why spend billions keeping the firearms registry going just to turn farmers and ranchers into criminals? Those Czech planes are top-of-the-line and don't need modifications?

Hardly top of the line. The Czech aircraft would likely have to be re-instrumented and new avionics installed. I would prefer that we bought the Hawk. The Hawk is also a light, close support aircraft and it is also capable of supersonic speeds without diving from 40,000 feet. The Air Force doesn't want to see the Snowbirds reduced or cancelled. The Hawk would be the ideal replacement for the Tudor.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
First of all we don't have CT-155 Hawks. In some sweetheart deal with the federal government Bombardier has leased a few Hawks from the manufacturer.
You better let the gov't know we don't have any Hawks, then. Petros mentioned that one of the Nato bases here uses Hawks (complete with maintenance personel etc), so I can't see why would we need to look at the Czech planes? Anyway, McKay washed his hands of the issue and turned the topic over to the military, so they'll do what they want.

The Tudors didn't take over from the T-33s, they replaced them completely. The Tudors filled a completely different roll. We now had a jet trainer that training pilots could jump right into from a propellar driven high wing Cessna or Piper.
Nitpicker.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hardly top of the line.
I know. Gerry said that a couple of my alternatives weren't top-of-the-line fighter craft. So I asked him rhetorically if the Czech plane was top-of-the-line.
The Czech aircraft would likely have to be re-instrumented and new avionics installed.
Painted, too. lol I know that also. I did read the links I posted.
I would prefer that we bought the Hawk. The Hawk is also a light, close support aircraft and it is also capable of supersonic speeds without diving from 40,000 feet. The Air Force doesn't want to see the Snowbirds reduced or cancelled. The Hawk would be the ideal replacement for the Tudor.
That's what I thought and that's what that retired Snowbird pilot thinks.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You better let the gov't know we don't have any Hawks, then. Petros mentioned that one of the Nato bases here uses Hawks (complete with maintenance personel etc), so I can't see why would we need to look at the Czech planes? Anyway, McKay washed his hands of the issue and turned the topic over to the military, so they'll do what they want.

The Government as such, doesn't have any Hawks. Bombardier made a sweetheart deal with the Liberal government where Bombardier leases the Hawk aircraft from the manufacturer and provides training for our and NATO pilots.

The Czech government has dug themselves a bit of a hole in that they now can't afford all the aircraft they ordered. If the price was right Canada could pick up a couple dozen Czech aircraft for half price or better. I would prefer the Hawk. At this point I don't know what the prices are.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The Government as such, doesn't have any Hawks. Bombardier made a sweetheart deal with the Liberal government where Bombardier leases the Hawk aircraft from the manufacturer and provides training for our and NATO pilots.
So why not lease some for Snowbird duty, instead of buying used equipment. Funnel some development money into building one of our own planes.

The Czech government has dug themselves a bit of a hole in that they now can't afford all the aircraft they ordered. If the price was right Canada could pick up a couple dozen Czech aircraft for half price or better. I would prefer the Hawk. At this point I don't know what the prices are.
The new ones that Czechs ordered and got. 72 of them were about $42,673,530,000 Koruny which is about $2,546,150,000 CA and they wanted to sell 47 of them. That was in 2005 I think. I have no idea what they want for the used ones. They've been trying to flog some of them ever since.

Czechs Modify 4 Albatross, Tout The Plane to Colombia

I think they are a nice aircraft but I really can't see why we can't use Hawks considering we already have the maintenance crews and whatnot for Hawks.
I think someone or some people in the gov't are on hallucinogens.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What one pilot says about the Tudor

I first soloed the Tutor in October 1966 -it was my first jet -and I was delighted to find that it was easier to fly than a Cessna 150 -and sure as hell outperformed it!
It was inspiring for a fledgling Canadian Air Force Pilot (actually then we were still the Royal Canadian Air Force) -to solo after about 10 hrs of training in a plane that would outperform most of the fighters of WW2.

The Tutor was a joy to fly! We could do a lot worse than to put them back into production! The "Snowbirds" still fly them -magnificently!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What one pilot says about the Tudor

I first soloed the Tutor in October 1966 -it was my first jet -and I was delighted to find that it was easier to fly than a Cessna 150 -and sure as hell outperformed it!
It was inspiring for a fledgling Canadian Air Force Pilot (actually then we were still the Royal Canadian Air Force) -to solo after about 10 hrs of training in a plane that would outperform most of the fighters of WW2.

The Tutor was a joy to fly! We could do a lot worse than to put them back into production! The "Snowbirds" still fly them -magnificently!!

The time to put the Tudor back into production was about five or six years ago. Give them a bit more engine, a bit more wing, a bit more internal fuel, and it would have given the Hawk or the Czech aircraft a good run for their money.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The time to put the Tudor back into production was about five or six years ago. Give them a bit more engine, a bit more wing, a bit more internal fuel, and it would have given the Hawk or the Czech aircraft a good run for their money.
Could do that while we are renting Hawks. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nice looking jet in its day but the Canadian air force retired it in 1995,was made in the early 60's.., its not about just getting another plane its about replacing a 40 year old plane,be kinda pointless to replace the 40 year old Tutor with the 50 year old CF116 Freedom fighter.

Juan you arent pulling our collective legs here for the sake of arguement are you?

Not at all. I do age myself by the aircraft types I mentioned. My flying days were in the late fifties and early sixties. I am still interested enough to keep abreast of what is going on in our military.....Such as it is...:roll: