Czech jets touted as Canada's Snowbird replacement

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That Canadair sold a version of the tutor to the Malaysian airforce that it used as a fighter. They used it for over 20 years, uptill '89 I believe, before replacing it.

Are the snowbird planes outfitted for combat? Of course not dummy, and neither are the tutors sitting in Moosejaw. The facts are though that they can be and have been in the past.

For Bombardier to modify the airframe of one of their executive class jets would be far from cost effective, and neither would building a new jet from scratch. The most cost effective way to replace the present squadron would be to use existing aircraft, like the Czech fighter.
And they weren't modified either I bet. lmao One says modifying an aircraft is a bad idea, you say trainers were modified to make fighters from. You guys are hilarious.
Sorry, but find me a aeronautical engineer to tell me that a Lear couldn't be modified to do stunts and I'll believe you.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Those are way more entertaining than smoke billowing jets. Prettier, too.

Nothing wrong with those Pitts specials at an air show very entertaining but do you really want our internationl acrobatic team being represented by a team of biplanes? when every one else is using top of the line jets..

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah right. Like I'd believe you. lmao I don't want to buy a bridge from you either, Durka. ;)

Don't be too quick to turn down Durka's Bridge sale....it all comes down to
location, location, & location. Alongside the existing infrastructure in that
Detroit-Windsor corridor would be a nice snag, if the price is right. ;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Aerobatic Biplanes or 40yr old Tudor Jets? Both are Militarily obsolete,
and the Biplanes may be much more entertaining.
Which seems to me to be the whole idea behind them, I would think.
RE: the Tutors given to Malaysia to be turned into fighter jets; we all know how vastly superior to others that Malaysia's Air Force is. lmao

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Nothing wrong with those Pitts specials at an air show very entertaining but do you really want our internationl acrobatic team being represented by a team of biplanes? when every one else is using top of the line jets..
And those Czech planes are top-of-the-line?
Why aren't the Thunderbirds using the F-22 Raptors then?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and hey are looking at replacing those 40 year old tutors with up to date fighters. The fighters proposed were just delivered in 2002/2003, if we can get them for fire sale prices, then why spend billions on a make work project for aircraft for one squadron.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
and hey are looking at replacing those 40 year old tutors with up to date fighters. The fighters proposed were just delivered in 2002/2003, if we can get them for fire sale prices, then why spend billions on a make work project for aircraft for one squadron.
Why spend billions keeping the firearms registry going just to turn farmers and ranchers into criminals? Those Czech planes are top-of-the-line and don't need modifications?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I see nothing wrong with replacing the aging Tutors with Czech L159s. Unlike the Tutor, the L159 is a multi-role aircraft. It has a fairly respectable range and it can cruise at almost double the Tudor's cruising speed. We don't need a 50 million dollar CF-18 for every mission. The Tudor on the other hand is a trainer and only a trainer. Of the possible replacements for the Tudor, I liked the British Hawk, A very similar aircraft but it probably would be much more expensive than this Czech offering.

I would hate to see the Snowbirds disbanded or cancelled but they do need a new aircraft.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why spend billions keeping the firearms registry going just to turn farmers and ranchers into criminals? Those Czech planes are top-of-the-line and don't need modifications?

Not exactly top-of-the-line but certainly suitable for the trainer/ground attack aircraft we need.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I was looking at Canada's other trainers and was wondering why we can't use Hawks or Harvard 2s. Anyone know?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Here's a nifty job, too, but I'm not suggesting Snowbirds use it:
The PC-9 M has established itself as a leader among turboprop trainers, offering superior training value for air forces around the world. The PC-9 M is docile enough for a beginner, but with sufficient power available for the more demanding basic and advanced phases of training. Using a modern cockpit environment, the PC-9 M has become highly regarded by flying instructors as an aircraft with high performance, excess energy, and agile handling, making it an ideal training platform for a wide range of training syllabi in use today.
http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/htm...8&NavL3ID=0&NavL4ID=0&NavL5ID=0&NavL6ID=0&L=2

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anyway, I'd rather Canadians use something Canadian.
Hey, I have an idea; the Israelis seem to have and awesome batch of pilots. We could use a few of them to fly the Snowbirds, too. Or American Top Guns.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was looking at Canada's other trainers and was wondering why we can't use Hawks or Harvard 2s. Anyone know?

One thing the Tudor did do was to provide a smooth transition from relatively slow propeller aircraft to the faster jets. There was enough performance overlap so that a pilot in training could go from a highwing Cessna to a Tudor to a CF-18 without high risk.

We could use Hawks. But first we have to buy them.