COVID-19 'Pandemic'

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
In any situation all you CAN do is whatever is possible to mitigate the risk. At the end of the day Shit happens. That doesn't mean it is to be taken lightly.
Yes shit happened to two hundred people let’s all cower at home .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What you don't seem to understand is that is no consolation to the ones who do, but of course there are those in any dilemma whose attitude is "F**K you Jack, I'm alright".
I am alright , and in this instance also correct .

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes shit happened to two hundred people let’s all cower at home .

No! Not cower at home, be sensible and leave the home for necessary reasons, while taking the recommended precautions. I leave the
home every day to get my exercise walking in the neighbourhood where I don't have to encounter too many people & when I do keep my distance. No harm in that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm not 'wandering around' when I go to town to buy groceries or do other necessary shopping. I wear a mask because I think it is the right thing to do and so that those around me know I care as much about their health as mine.

Sensible and likely a correct opinion! Of course you will always encounter a few who have to act "macho" (there's nothing less macho) and act like assholes. Better to be safe than sorry!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
No! Not cower at home, be sensible and leave the home for necessary reasons, while taking the recommended precautions. I leave the
home every day to get my exercise walking in the neighbourhood where I don't have to encounter too many people & when I do keep my distance. No harm in that.
Good for you .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Sensible and likely a correct opinion! Of course you will always encounter a few who have to act "macho" (there's nothing less macho) and act like assholes. Better to be safe than sorry!
Yes be safe . How many friends and relatives are dropping dead from this scourge ? Out of two hundred province wide you must have lost lots .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup about 80% of British Columbians are going mask less , a bunch of macho assholes you live among . Some are even enjoying a pint at the local or having a nice restaurant meal . Oh the horror .

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
That you breath in while wearing a mask . Do you think it all leaves the mask when you expell your breath ? When you inhale that left in the mask is returned to the lungs . Stale air .
They also create sweating inside the face mask making it wet and uncomfortable . But be my quest and wear one at will . I will continue to refrain .

Oh I do wear one while indoors with multiple people around me, thanks. That's my choice, as it is yours to not wear one. Nice that we each have the freedom to choose isn't it? And I think you meant be your guest, not quest.

Anyway, in my experience while wearing a mask I have found the circulation of air to be pretty good, seem to have no trouble getting plenty of fresh air with every breath. And I'm sure there are worse things in the air pollutant wise that I'm breathing in other than my residual breath. And hey, maybe the masks are helping even more in that case!

I wonder though, have you shared your concerns over stale air in face masks with surgeons, dentists, nurses, carpenters, drywall cutters, insulation contractors, first responders, stone masons etc who all require at times to wear a mask of some sort, some for hours at a time? All that stale air! Have you voiced your concern to them? You may want to start making some calls.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
I live in a world where on voting day I report to the polling place with my Identification and cast my vote . Once only . It has been thus since my first opportunity in about 1970 , It has worked fairly in most instances during that time . I see no reason to change .

Again, show your work, come on, show it. Give me numbers, data, you know, proof that there is widespread voter fraud associated with mail in voting. And no media sources now because as you yourself said, all media is suspect. But wait, don't include Florida right? Because Trump is okay with it in Florida.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Amid all the chaos and stupidity finally some sanity from the sporting community.

The Big Ten has decided to shit can the 20-21 football season because it would be ridiculous not to.

A rare bit of hope in an otherwise hopeless landscape of greed and denial.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/8/11/general-big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

Big Ten Statement on 2020-21 Fall Season

ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Big Ten Conference announced the postponement of the 2020-21 fall sports season, including all regular-season contests and Big Ten Championships and Tournaments, due to ongoing health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In making its decision, which was based on multiple factors, the Big Ten Conference relied on the medical advice and counsel of the Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee.

“Our primary responsibility is to make the best possible decisions in the interest of our students, faculty and staff,” said Morton Schapiro, Chair of the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors and Northwestern University President.

“The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” said Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren. “As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.

“We know how significant the student-athlete experience can be in shaping the future of the talented young women and men who compete in the Big Ten Conference. Although that knowledge made this a painstaking decision, it did not make it difficult. While I know our decision today will be disappointing in many ways for our thousands of student-athletes and their families, I am heartened and inspired by their resilience, their insightful and discerning thoughts, and their participation through our conversations to this point. Everyone associated with the Big Ten Conference and its member institutions is committed to getting everyone back to competition as soon as it is safe to do so.”

The fall sports included in this announcement are men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball. The Big Ten Conference will continue to evaluate a number of options regarding these sports, including the possibility of competition in the spring. Decisions regarding winter and spring sports will also continue to be evaluated.

The Big Ten Conference is proud of its 14 world-class research institutions and has leveraged their resources and expertise to address this pandemic over the past five months. The Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee have engaged in extensive research and sharing of materials and conversations with federal, state and local government agencies, and professional and international sports organizations in order to track and better understand the daily updates surrounding this pandemic. Their advice and counsel have been invaluable as they have worked tirelessly over the past several months in their efforts to create and maintain a safe environment for athletics.

The Big Ten Conference will continue to work with medical experts and governmental authorities to gather additional information, evaluate emerging data and technologies, and monitor developments regarding the pandemic to make the best decisions possible for the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I didn't see that part of it (though not shocked and of course people like Wally forget he's been claiming the USA flu of 1918 was in 1917) but what I did see was his reaction to being told by SS that he had to leave.

He was not pleased, then it sounded like he had to be told why - which does make sense - and then upon being told he looked at the people gathered like he was a kid wondering if they are seeing HIM being pulled away by the Special Service cause something's going on, like a child.

It was just weird.
It was a bit weird One would think he was trained to respond to the security instructions immediately........The protocols are really strict. I attended a conference ( Pacific Rim Mental health ) (some time ago) where Roslyn Carter was guest speaker. It was very evident that she was following security protocols. Even her walk was quick paced, and she did not linger after her talk. The security was visible but not over bearing.

I guess.....as per usual. Trump resists being told what to do.........even by security personnel.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yup about 80% of British Columbians are going mask less , a bunch of macho assholes you live among . Some are even enjoying a pint at the local or having a nice restaurant meal . Oh the horror .

I've been eating in restaurants! What's your problem? :) I gave up booze many years before Covid-19 showed up. :) P.S. Where did you come across the 80% figure?