Conservative 'Robocalls' tricked voters in last election

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You should know by now, that I state my opinion...period....

Yes, I know and it appears you opinion is that election fraud is no big deal. That's hilarious considering Conservatives get so upset when the lefties say that Harper and the Cons are undemocratic. It would seem they have been right all along.

....so why don't you wait to dance with Bear after he finishes work....

What's the real problem? Can't speak for yourself?

You raised those ducks? I hope you grew your own tobacco for them too,
as I could see that getting very expensive very quickly. Where they
pack-a-day ducks? How do they light those smokes anyway?

I wonder what PETA would say about forcing ducks to smoke. I mean, let's be realistic. I seriously doubt they could like the things on their own.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yes, I know and it appears you opinion is that election fraud is no big deal. That's hilarious considering Conservatives get so upset when the lefties say that Harper and the Cons are undemocratic. It would seem they have been right all along.

What's the real problem? Can't speak for yourself?

I wonder what PETA would say about forcing ducks to smoke. I mean, let's be realistic. I seriously doubt they could like the things on their own.

Yaawn!!!!

Boring - YouTube

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Re #s 46/47, Geebus ! do you people ever listen to yourselves ? While I find it hard to believe there was a tory with brains enough to pull this off,there's no doubt in my mind,and you'll likely find the majority of Canadians no straped to their beds agree,that the torys are the onle ones slimy enough to do this.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Re #s 46/47, Geebus ! do you people ever listen to yourselves ? While I find it hard to believe there was a tory with brains enough to pull this off,there's no doubt in my mind,and you'll likely find the majority of Canadians no straped to their beds agree,that the torys are the onle ones slimy enough to do this.

Some of them even have enough brains to be able to spell correctly! :smile:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well, that accounts for one riding. Who did the other 12? Could one person coordinate all 13 ridings, obtain all the Liberal voting lists and set up the calls? I'm thinking, if they only nail one dude, then this is a massive coverup.
You're not supposed to see that. You're supposed to breathe a heavy sigh of relief and thank the Great Protector....

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Here is the kicker. Now who will be going to jail

Andrew Coyne: All too plausible to think the Conservatives are involved in the robocall scandal | Full Comment | National Post

Here is a list of some of the things we do not know about the Robocon scandal (for those just joining us, the use of live or automated “robocalls” to harass or deceive — con — voters in certain ridings during the last election). We do not know whether the calls were made by members of the Conservative party. We do not know whether any Conservative authorized them, or even knew about them. We do not know whether anyone was prevented from voting, or had their vote changed, as a result, nor do we know whether the results of any riding were affected.

But my God, what we know is disturbing enough. There were not a few calls: there were thousands. They did not occur in one or two ridings: there were at least 18 of them, scattered across the country. In all but one the race was viewed as being between a Conservative and a Liberal, and in every one the calls were made to Liberal supporters. (The NDP now claims to have found nine ridings in which its own supporters received similar calls. These remain to be verified.) In some cases voters were given false information on where to vote by someone pretending to represent Elections Canada. In others, they were annoyed or insulted by calls purporting to come from the Liberal party.
There isn’t any doubt that this was election fraud; whoever did it, if caught, is almost certainly facing jail time. In the particular case of the riding of Guelph, Ont., as reported by Postmedia’s Stephen Maher and Glen McGregor, Elections Canada investigators have traced the calls to an Edmonton-based “voice-broadcast” company, RackNine, that has done work for a number of Conservative politicians, including Stephen Harper — though the calls were apparently made through it rather than by it. Elections Canada believes it knows the identity of the caller. One agency email obtained by Postmedia refers to “Conservative campaign office communications with electors.” Another warns: “This one is far more serious. They have actually disrupted the voting process.”

So, no, we do not know for a fact that the calls came from anyone acting on the authority of the Conservative party. But, well, let’s say it fits a pattern — if not of outright lawbreaking then certainly of close-to-the-wind tactics and ends-justify-the-means ethics. The “in and out” affair may not have been the scandal many, including Elections Canada, thought it was, but it hardly spoke of a robust commitment to honesty and fair play. The deceptive calls to voters in Irwin Cotler’s riding of Mount Royal are a still closer precedent. It is not implausible that somebody connected with the party would have taken their cues as to what was considered appropriate behaviour, and run with it.

But who? It beggars belief that local campaign workers in 18 different ridings could have separately hit upon the same scam, or carried it out without the knowledge of anyone outside the riding. The notion that the whole thing could be put down to one over-zealous young campaign worker, as some are putting about, is even less credible. Whoever did this would not only have to have the capacity to organize and fund a national robocalling operation. They would also have to have the lists of names and phone numbers to call. Such information would be closely held with respect to the party’s own supporters. But how many people in the party would have access to lists of Liberal supporters? And how did they get them?

It is hard to overstate how serious this is. It doesn’t matter whether the calls had their intended effect. It is sufficient that someone made them. If it were just the circumstances, or just their track record, the Conservatives might be given the benefit of the doubt. But the two together, while they do not prove anyone in the party was involved, make it all too plausible to believe they were. Indeed, it would be more surprising to find they weren’t.

At least 14 election ridings blitzed with live calls from fake Liberals | News | National Post

An analysis of reports of mysterious harassing phone calls during the May 2011 election points to the existence of a systematic voter suppression campaign targeting Liberal voters in tightly contested ridings.

Unlike the pre-recorded “robocalls” now under investigation by Elections Canada, these calls came from live callers, likely working from a call centre.

A Postmedia News-Ottawa Citizen investigation based on interviews with dozens of campaign workers has identified 14 ridings — mostly closely fought electoral districts in southern Ontario — where electors reported receiving fake live calls.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm going to reserve judgement on this affair until we get some more information. It is too simple to track this back to the person(s) that rented the site.Getting copies of the voters list is not all that difficult either. I just don't see any wanna be politician being in the know because of the ease of catching them. I can see a misguided supporter doing it on his/her own.

You need to get your eyes checked if you can see some 22 year old intern masterminding a national scam against thousands of voters in multiple ridings across the country.

How do you know it was a conservative that did it? Last I heard they did not have a suspect much less a conviction.

Of course, a liberal did it i'm sure. :roll:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You need to get your eyes checked if you can see some 22 year old intern masterminding a national scam against thousands of voters in multiple ridings across the country.

You need to get your comprehension checked - No where in that post did he mention a 22 year old - He is waiting for more info. Yet you come on with a sledge hammer.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You need to get your comprehension checked - No where in that post did he mention a 22 year old - He is waiting for more info. Yet you come on with a sledge hammer.

If you were following the developments of this you would know that the Cons are directing media to Micheal Sona as the lone culprit. Mr Sona is currently 23 which would have made him 22 at the time the scam was planned and executed. I'm very sorry if my perception and logic works very rapidly and yours doesn't work at all.

I am thinking that I should be saving this entire thread so that when another party commits massive scale election fraud and wins I can then use all the CPC supporters words against them.

Lets be real people. The scale of this event would give all but those without any reason cause to suspect more than one person. The robocalls were done with a specific intent and with malice aforethought. The event had an affect on the outcome of the election and it doesn't matter if the overall results would have changed there was an affect and that is all that matters.

Realistically I don't think the GG would toss the entire election although that should be an option available. I believe that a by-election in those ridings where the scam took place with those candidates that benefited being disqualified would be a reasonable and the absolute least that should happen.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If you were following the developments of this you would know that the Cons are directing media to Micheal Sona as the lone culprit. Mr Sona is currently 23 which would have made him 22 at the time the scam was planned and executed. I'm very sorry if my perception and logic works very rapidly and yours doesn't work at all.

I am thinking that I should be saving this entire thread so that when another party commits massive scale election fraud and wins I can then use all the CPC supporters words against them.

Lets be real people. The scale of this event would give all but those without any reason cause to suspect more than one person. The robocalls were done with a specific intent and with malice aforethought. The event had an affect on the outcome of the election and it doesn't matter if the overall results would have changed there was an affect and that is all that matters.

Realistically I don't think the GG would toss the entire election although that should be an option available. I believe that a by-election in those ridings where the scam took place with those candidates that benefited being disqualified would be a reasonable and the absolute least that should happen.

Oh I have been following the events. And as more information was published it was clear that it was not a single 22 year old.
Next nowhere in the post quoted did the poster even mention a 22 year old. But you added that to your reply to make it appear he had. He stated he was waiting for more info. His words – Reserve Judgment.
You on the other hand prefer to lash out.
Same as when you called a member, a former Soldier a Baby Killer.