Conservative 'Robocalls' tricked voters in last election

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would like to think that if this traces back to the CPC and its leadership that the GG would throw out the election results and force another election.

What does it say about our process if a fraudulent election is allowed to stand.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I would like to think that if this traces back to the CPC and its leadership that the GG would throw out the election results and force another election.

What does it say about our process if a fraudulent election is allowed to stand.
It says: Well played.... Can we afford another election? The bigger question is: can the Grand Poobah?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It says: Well played.... Can we afford another election? The bigger question is: can the Grand Poobah?

Appears a 23 year old staffer did this all on his own. Yeah Right.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ke-of-voter-suppression-probe/article2349329/

A young Conservative staffer involved in a controversial 2011 election campaign in the Ontario riding of Guelph has just left the office of MP Eve Adams.

Michael Sona, 23, had been working for about a week in the office of Ms. Adams, the Conservative MP for the Toronto-area riding of Mississauga–Brampton South. A source said Mr. Sona resigned Thursday evening after his name started circulating in the media in relation to automated crank calls made in Guelph on election day last year.

There is no public evidence Mr. Sona had any link to the matter, which is being investigated by Elections Canada. His departure from Ms. Adams’s office came less than 24 hours after the Ottawa Citizen revealed that the crank calls were made used a robo-call company in Alberta that frequently worked for the Conservatives and other right-wing parties.

The voter-suppression case has spurred Bob Rae to call for an emergency debate in the House. In a letter to Speaker Andrew Scheer, the Interim Liberal said the democratic rights of Canadians are sacred.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just wanted to pre-emptively apologize as the subject header is inaccurate. While the company that distributed these calls is linked to the CPC, there is no hard evidence to show that they were behind this. With the mention of the linkage, the fact that this took place in 18 swing vote ridings, and the recent Cotler thing, it appeared as if there was a direct connection, but that is yet to be confirmed.

Yeah, I suspect when the "dust settles" this "tempest in the teapot" will be mostly bullsh*t! Of course the Libs or N.D.P. never did anything like that! Actually I couldn't think of a more stupid stunt for a party to try when they were already on the virge of winning a majority. Common sense is lacking somewhere. There is an old adage- "Believe 10% of what you see and nothing of what you hear" :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Appears a 23 year old staffer did this all on his own. Yeah Right.

Tory staffer leaves MP’s office in wake of voter-suppression probe - The Globe and Mail

A young Conservative staffer involved in a controversial 2011 election campaign in the Ontario riding of Guelph has just left the office of MP Eve Adams.

Michael Sona, 23, had been working for about a week in the office of Ms. Adams, the Conservative MP for the Toronto-area riding of Mississauga–Brampton South. A source said Mr. Sona resigned Thursday evening after his name started circulating in the media in relation to automated crank calls made in Guelph on election day last year.

There is no public evidence Mr. Sona had any link to the matter, which is being investigated by Elections Canada. His departure from Ms. Adams’s office came less than 24 hours after the Ottawa Citizen revealed that the crank calls were made used a robo-call company in Alberta that frequently worked for the Conservatives and other right-wing parties.

The voter-suppression case has spurred Bob Rae to call for an emergency debate in the House. In a letter to Speaker Andrew Scheer, the Interim Liberal said the democratic rights of Canadians are sacred.
Isn't that ALWAYS the way? :roll:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah, I suspect when the "dust settles" this "tempest in the teapot" will be mostly bullsh*t! Of course the Libs or N.D.P. never did anything like that! Actually I couldn't think of a more stupid stunt for a party to try when they were already on the virge of winning a majority. Common sense is lacking somewhere. There is an old adage- "Believe 10% of what you see and nothing of what you hear" :lol:

The Cons have a communications and research Juggernaut. Well oiled, everything is framed to certain voters. Their ability to get a message, regardless of veracity is almost Stainesque in how it is implemented.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know, if it quacks like a duck, but it would be nice to have a smoking gun.

No smoking gun.....but how 'bout a smoking duck?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I used to raise those ducks. Smarter than any politician I've met. A lot more fun too.

You raised those ducks? I hope you grew your own tobacco for them too,
as I could see that getting very expensive very quickly. Where they
pack-a-day ducks? How do they light those smokes anyway?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mine didn't smoke. LOL

Good. I can deal with non-smoking ducks. I'll tell you though, those
born again non-smoking ducks that's have kicked the habit can be
pretty hard to take at times...all preachy about how nasty a habit
smoking is, all hollier than thou to all the other ducks that still smoke.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Good. I can deal with non-smoking ducks. I'll tell you though, those
born again non-smoking ducks that's have kicked the habit can be
pretty hard to take at times...all preachy about how nasty a habit
smoking is, all hollier than thou to all the other ducks that still smoke.
I never let mine acquire the habit. My goats, on the other hand, were always stealing my smokes.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm going to reserve judgement on this affair until we get some more information. It is too simple to track this back to the person(s) that rented the site.Getting copies of the voters list is not all that difficult either. I just don't see any wanna be politician being in the know because of the ease of catching them. I can see a misguided supporter doing it on his/her own.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A source said Mr. Sona resigned Thursday evening after his name started
circulating in the media in relation to automated crank calls made in Guelph on election
day last year.
Phoning and asking "Is you refrigerator running?" is a crank call. Phoning to say polling stations have moved is criminal.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Phoning and asking "Is you refrigerator running?" is a crank call. Phoning to say polling stations have moved is criminal.

Yep, and I bet the idiot who made the calls never thought for a moment that the calls can be traced back to the phone they were made from. Proving what individual did it may be a little tougher, but the owner of the phone could certainly be held responsible and then you'd hear some "singing" start......................loud and clear. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well, that accounts for one riding. Who did the other 12? Could one person coordinate all 13 ridings, obtain all the Liberal voting lists and set up the calls? I'm thinking, if they only nail one dude, then this is a massive coverup.