Collateral Murder

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, would like to know what I think of arm chair quarter backs, that have never actually given any time to learning about combat, let alone seen it?
And that is why my opinion differs from yours. As witnessed by the Veterans Against War movement, not all combat veterans think alike either.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I saw this on another website (inhabited mostly by Americans whose politics range the spectrum but are mostly "liberal"). I didn't watch the 38 minute video, just the 17 minute version. I can't describe my emotions in watching it save to say they weren't pleasant: I don't know how to really be more specific right now. My take from the short video.

We can go back and rehash the same arguments that have gone on for 7 years, since Bush ordered the invasion, but I have a hard time faulting the soldiers involved in this.

I saw something suspiciously like rifle shapes in the hands of guys around the 3:40-4:00 of the shortened video. People can claim there were no RPGs, just cameras but there was way too much stuff on too many people, being carried like rifles, not mics/booms/extentions for me to buy the whole "they were all unarmed" line. I can't fault the pilots/crew/observers for coming to a conclusion that the men on the ground were hostile. They were in communication and relaying the data they had over the radio, and were acting according to orders (i.e. the whole asking permission to engage thing).

If reporters were with armed insurgents, well, thats the risk they took to try and get their big story and all the awards and accolades. They took a gamble and lost.

The van, who knows? They could have been completely innocent and being good samaritans or they could have been more insurgents. We can sit here and say "why weren't there warning shots?" and **** but the bottom line is soldiers are trained to kill the enemy in combat. Hesitation gets them dead (thus I don't fault them for messing around with image enhancing software for this very reason). Listening to them, you can tell their blood was up, they were excited, they were aggressive but they were doing their jobs, within their defined parameters. Soldiers aren't cops.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I saw this on another website (inhabited mostly by Americans whose politics range the spectrum but are mostly "liberal"). I didn't watch the 38 minute video, just the 17 minute version. I can't describe my emotions in watching it save to say they weren't pleasant: I don't know how to really be more specific right now. My take from the short video.

We can go back and rehash the same arguments that have gone on for 7 years, since Bush ordered the invasion, but I have a hard time faulting the soldiers involved in this.

I saw something suspiciously like rifle shapes in the hands of guys around the 3:40-4:00 of the shortened video. People can claim there were no RPGs, just cameras but there was way too much stuff on too many people, being carried like rifles, not mics/booms/extentions for me to buy the whole "they were all unarmed" line. I can't fault the pilots/crew/observers for coming to a conclusion that the men on the ground were hostile. They were in communication and relaying the data they had over the radio, and were acting according to orders (i.e. the whole asking permission to engage thing).

If reporters were with armed insurgents, well, thats the risk they took to try and get their big story and all the awards and accolades. They took a gamble and lost.

The van, who knows? They could have been completely innocent and being good samaritans or they could have been more insurgents. We can sit here and say "why weren't there warning shots?" and **** but the bottom line is soldiers are trained to kill the enemy in combat. Hesitation gets them dead (thus I don't fault them for messing around with image enhancing software for this very reason). Listening to them, you can tell their blood was up, they were excited, they were aggressive but they were doing their jobs, within their defined parameters. Soldiers aren't cops.
Wulfie, like a fresh summer breeze, that was refreshing...thank you.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting CDNBear
The pilots and gunners have split seconds to translate, collate and analyze all data coming in.
You would think someone who has claimed to be an ex fighter pilot, would understand that.

Flying a helicopter gunship is not even vaguely similar to flying a jet fighter and you are not qualified to criticize what I know or don't know.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
As an informed observer, my life lesson is: Don't trust the US military. It's a completely backwards society where committing and covering up these kinds of things, as well as utterly lying about how your family member soldier died, are completely acceptable.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting CDNBear
The pilots and gunners have split seconds to translate, collate and analyze all data coming in.
You would think someone who has claimed to be an ex fighter pilot, would understand that.

Flying a helicopter gunship is not even vaguely similar to flying a jet fighter and you are not qualified to criticize what I know or don't know.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I never said it was. What I said was...

This is a helo, in a hostile environment, surrounded by buildings hide literally hundreds if not thousands of potential life or death threats. The pilots and gunners have split seconds to translate, collate and analyze all data coming in.

You once claimed to be a fighter pilot, yes or no?

If so....

How long does a fighter pilot have to analyze data?

And yes I am qualified to criticize what you do or do not know. As exampled by my correcting your erroneous assertion. You post it, it can and will be critiqued. Suck it up buttercup.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
as an uninformed observer, my life lesson is: Don't trust the us military. It's a completely backwards society where committing and covering up these kinds of things, as well as utterly lying about how your family member soldier died, are completely acceptable.
fify

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I am very informed, and it gets close into realm of facts to say that, ethically speaking, the US military is about the same level of benefit to everyone alive as Cosa Nostra is.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Which is why I, for all accounts and purposes, choose to have nothing to do with it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am very informed, and it gets close into realm of facts to say that, ethically speaking, the US military is about the same level of benefit to everyone alive as Cosa Nostra is.
If you actually believe that, then you are uninformed. It is true, this is a sad lose of life, it is true, the US military should not have covered it up. But, your extremism, is over the top, and only highlights more pressing you issues you must face.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
If you actually believe that, then you are uninformed. It is true, this is a sad lose of life, it is true, the US military should not have covered it up. But, your extremism, is over the top, and only highlights more pressing you issues you must face.

Personally, I don't think I'm the extreme one here. Rather I think it's a pretty extreme position to fly Apache helicopters into some city and fire at random people, just because you think those people may or may not be insurgantsan and thus a threat. Every fiber of my humanity is saying, "Yeah, that Apache helicopter stuff is the extremist stuff and you're doing the only sane thing my condemning it in the strongest possible terms."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I never said it was. What I said was...

You once claimed to be a fighter pilot, yes or no?

If so....

How long does a fighter pilot have to analyze data?

And yes I am qualified to criticize what you do or do not know. As exampled by my correcting your erroneous assertion. You post it, it can and will be critiqued. Suck it up buttercup.

Again you don't understand. The pilots and gunners in those helicopters obviously had time to loiter and talk about what they should or shouldn't do. In a jet fighter, a speck on the horizon can grow into an airplane and be past you in a few seconds. Jet fighters can and do close on each other in excess of twenty five miles a minute. There is little room to compare the two vehicles.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Personally, I don't think I'm the extreme one here.
Well, there are quite easily visible weapons at 3:40, the reporter playing peekaboo around the corner with camera in hand, is suspicious at best. I can easily see how a pilot and gunner in a state of constant defense, would translate that into a threat. But then again, I don't filter what my mind takes in with any preconceived ideology. Your post, and subsequent posts clearly indicate you do.

Rather I think it's a pretty extreme position to fly Apache helicopters into some city and fire at random people, just because you think those people may or may not be insurgantsan and thus a threat.
Wow, this comment clearly shows a detachment from reality.

Every fiber of my humanity is saying, "Yeah, that Apache helicopter stuff is the extremist stuff and you're doing the only sane thing my condemning it in the strongest possible terms."
And every fibre of my being is saying this conversation will go nowhere. I'm heading to the fridge to get a tomato, I honestly feel it is more capable of objective observation then your post would indicate about you.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Again you don't understand. The pilots and gunners in those helicopters obviously had time to loiter and talk about what they should or shouldn't do.
I understand completely. You won't answer all the questions and you wish to obfuscate the issue.
In a jet fighter, a speck on the horizon can grow into an airplane and be past you in a few seconds. Jet fighters can and do close on each other in excess of twenty five miles a minute. There is little room to compare the two vehicles.
You can try and obfuscate all you want. I never compared the two vehicles. I compared the operation of them in a hostile area, and how that would determine how a pilot would be forced to analyze and process a plethora of data in mere seconds.

True, they were circling the hostiles, or loitering as you put it. They were also watching roof tops around them, they were also watching gauges, they were also flying a helo, they were also communicating.

All this adds up, and if fail to see the correlation, then your opinion lacks subsatnce.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Frankly, the helicopter pilots and the people who ordered them to do that are the ones with serious issues. Keep in mind, I'm just speaking words on some message board. They (the pilots and the commanders) got to point in their mental state where they said, "You know what? I'm going to fly this death machine into a city and shoot at things. There definatly will not be any negative consequences that will dissuade me from taking this course of action."

A person with a flying death machine is inherently crazier than the person commenting on their use of it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Frankly, the hilocopter pilots and the people who ordered to do that are the ones with serious issues. Keep in mind, I'm just speaking works on some message board. They (the pilots and the commanders) got to point in their mental state where they said, "You know what? I'm going to fly this death machine into a city and shoot at things. There definatly will not be any negative consequences that will dissuade me from taking this course of action."

A person with a flying death machine is inherently crazier than the person commenting on their use of it.