Collateral Murder

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If some country invaded Canada and overran our military, does anyone doubt there would be instant retaliation from Canadians? Do you not think that a lot of people would be massing in our forests to create a resistance? Insurgent is a convenient word to use to create an enemy when in fact they would be freedom fighters if they were Canadians on Canadian soil.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If some country invaded Canada and overran our military, does anyone doubt there would be instant retaliation from Canadians?
It would depend on why they invaded.

Do you not think that a lot of people would be massing in our forests to create a resistance?
Yep.

Insurgent is a convenient word to use to create an enemy when in fact they would be freedom fighters if they were Canadians on Canadian soil.
Nope. And before you go there, or jump to conclusions, I don't believe the Iraq war was a wise idea either.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
think about the disrespect for the dead....... running over a body with the tank and,....... if they were in a "hot spot" as that 2nd guy said a few times, the helicopter hovered for some time.....long enough for several attempts at bringing it down as you'd expect in a "hot spot"......but appeared to be no sense of urgency
just my thorts

You obviously are unaware of the capabilities of an Apache. Do you think they were hovering directly above. I assure you that If they knew they were being watched by Apaches they wouldn't be milling around with AK-47's.

If they could have brought down that Apache I am sure they would have.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You are not alone in you`re disdain for our bully neighbours to the south.
They have well earned the contempt most civilized countries throughout the world hold for them.
At the rate they are going, it won`t be long till they find themselves cornered, alone and self-destroyed like the Nazis before them. :canada:

Cornered alone and SELF-DESTROYED

Hilarious.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just watched the video on CBC news. Watched it on CTV earlier. Both reports state that cameras were apparently mistaken for weapons. If that is the case then those who were killed were unarmed. Of course, they could be wrong. Even after watching the video three times its quality is too poor to be certain no one was armed.

At 3:40 you can see the Ak's and the one RPG.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I saw at least two AK's and the guy peaking around the corner with what looked like an RPG.....the first time I watched the bloody thing.:roll:

How can anybody not see this, even the video states this.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I saw at least two AK's and the guy peaking around the corner with what looked like an RPG.....the first time I watched the bloody thing.:roll:

How can anybody not see this, even the video states this.
Because people will see what they want to see. It helps them cope with how their ideology clashes with reality.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Is it any wonder no one watches Mad Cow and her self-loathing show.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and of course taking out the Van with the 2 kids was completely justified. I mean, there were AK47's and RPG's sticking out all OVER that Van. Plus, the fact that they were trying to rescue a wounded man that had just been shot. How dare they. He should have been left on the sidewalk to bleed to death.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
and of course taking out the Van with the 2 kids was completely justified. I mean, there were AK47's and RPG's sticking out all OVER that Van. Plus, the fact that they were trying to rescue a wounded man that had just been shot. How dare they. He should have been left on the sidewalk to bleed to death.

And of course the Apache pilots could see two kids in the van in a banking and vibrating attack helicopter. And every pilot should assume that a knucklehead would pack their kids in a van to pick up wounded insurgents (or reporters).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And of course the Apache pilots could see two kids in the van in a banking and vibrating attack helicopter. And every pilot should assume that a knucklehead would pack their kids in a van to pick up wounded insurgents (or reporters).

So, the justification for taking the van out was because...what?.... how was it a threat again?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There didn't seem to be any reason to attack the van. It just looked like a feeding frenzy had taken hold. The gunner sounded like he just wanted to gun down someone else cause his adrenaline was up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
and of course taking out the Van with the 2 kids was completely justified.
Yep, it has been common practice of other insurgents to remove weapons and wounded, to use as public relations photo ops. This is SOP now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There didn't seem to be any reason to attack the van. It just looked like a feeding frenzy had taken hold. The gunner sounded like he just wanted to gun down someone else cause his adrenaline was up.
Cliffy, would like to know what I think of arm chair quarter backs, that have never actually given any time to learning about combat, let alone seen it?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yep, it has been common practice of other insurgents to remove weapons and wounded, to use as public relations photo ops. This is SOP now.

They had not removed any weapons, up to that point, and I find it hard to swallow that a potential "photo-op" justifies the carnage I saw with that van.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They had not removed any weapons, up to that point,
Your point? There orders are to stop it from happening. Given there were weapons at the scene, there were insurgents. The case is clear, the pilot and gunner acted in good faith, and broke no law under the Laws of Armed Conflict.

and I find it hard to swallow that a potential "photo-op" justifies the carnage I saw with that van.
That's your opinion.

But it isn't merely a photo op they're trying to stop. They are trying to stop insurgents from escaping and the weapons from finding their way back into circulation.