christopher peloso missing again

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Death is easy. Just not reversible.
If I decide to end it, I abandon those around me and leave them to deal with the consequences of my actions. Comparably that is far easier for me than them.

If its so easy they could always do the same thing. They probably wont though.

People who get judgmental of those who have committed suicide really p*ss me off. I have lost both friends and family members to suicide and I myself have been suicidal. I know what it is like to be in both positions all too well. I never took it personally as a desertion. I know it was not their intention to hurt anyone with their deaths. I see succumbing to depression or another mental illness as no more selfish than succumbing to cancer. One illness is physical, the other mental. In both cases no one chose to get sick and die. In both cases even when treatment is sought it still does not always end well. It reduces the amount of fatal cases sure, but it is no guarantee.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

People who get judgmental of those who have committed suicide really p*ss me off. I have lost both friends and family members to suicide and I myself have been suicidal. I know what it is like to be in both positions all too well. I never took it personally as a desertion. I know it was not their intention to hurt anyone with their deaths. I see succumbing to depression or another mental illness as no more selfish than succumbing to cancer. One illness is physical, the other mental. In both cases no one chose to get sick and die. In both cases even when treatment is sought it still does not always end well. It reduces the amount of fatal cases sure, but it is no guarantee.

Your perspective. I can pretty much mirror what you are saying here. Been there done that. Watched my Father's wife bury two of her sons to suicide. The first was devastating to the family, the second was an act of complete selfishness. I am not admonishing people for being mentally ill, but if a person gets cancer and refuses treatment then they are perpetuating the illness. Suicide is like a cluster bomb, the damage inflicted is far reaching and the long term anguish and suffering does not stop with the individual who decides to give up trying to get better,

It is impossible for you to make such general comments about other people's experiences with any accuracy so it is advisable not to try.

This idea of shaming people for committing suicide just makes the problem worse. Obviously it doesn't make the situation any better for the person who died or the people around them, and for others who are struggling with suicidal thoughts, it can shame them out of telling people how they are feeling and getting help.

For someone who is already struggling so much that they are contemplating killing themselves, hearing messages that they are selfish and weak for feeling that way certainly isn't helpful.

:roll:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Your perspective. I can pretty much mirror what you are saying here. Been there done that. Watched my Father's wife bury two of her sons to suicide. The first was devastating to the family, the second was an act of complete selfishness. I am not admonishing people for being mentally ill, but if a person gets cancer and refuses treatment then they are perpetuating the illness. Suicide is like a cluster bomb, the damage inflicted is far reaching and the long term anguish and suffering does not stop with the individual who decides to give up trying to get better,

So you blame someone who is mentally ill for making poor choices?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
So you blame someone who is mentally ill for making poor choices?

Does being such an idiot result in physical side effects like migraines or uncontrollable twitching? How do you manage every day without falling down or drooling on yourself? It must be difficult being so obtuse.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Does being such an idiot result in physical side effects like migraines or uncontrollable twitching? How do you manage every day without falling down or drooling on yourself? It must be difficult being so obtuse.

It is a serious question about a serious topic. I would hope you would conduct yourself a bit more respectfully.

Again, do you think it is fair to blame someone who is mentally ill for making poor choices?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Then, I was posting from my cell phone.

I would say that you are smart enough to know what I meant, but, after today, I dunno.

Do you honestly think it is normal to get mad at someone for dying from cancer?

One has choices with Cancer? Wish i had known that.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It is a serious question about a serious topic. I would hope you would conduct yourself a bit more respectfully.

Again, do you think it is fair to blame someone who is mentally ill for making poor choices?

Again? Is it tough being just shy of mentally retarded? I'm being serious here, about a serious topic? All the answers are in my posts, but you just blather on and on like a broken record putting words in peoples mouths making assumptions about sh!t you clearly can't grasp. Clearly it must be tough. I feel sorry for you. Was it the ruffness in which you were born that caused you to be such a mental deficient?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Again? Is it tough being just shy of mentally retarded? I'm being serious here, about a serious topic? All the answers are in my posts, but you just blather on and on like a broken record putting words in peoples mouths making assumptions about sh!t you clearly can't grasp. Clearly it must be tough. I feel sorry for you. Was it the ruffness in which you were born that caused you to be such a mental deficient?

Jesus Christ buddy. Who is putting words in anyone's mouth? I am responding things that you explicitly say in your posts. If you don't want anyone to respond to what you write, don't post it here.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Jesus Christ buddy. Who is putting words in anyone's mouth? I am responding things that you explicitly say in your posts. If you don't want anyone to respond to what you write, don't post it here.

No, you are twisting what I am saying so that you can carry on blathering.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Do you not understand how this post can be interpreted as you blaming a person who has a mental illness for making bad choices?

You say you are not admonishing people who are mentally ill, but you say his act was selfish. You also blame him for refusing treatment and giving up on trying to get better.

How would you argue that you are not blaming him?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Is it absolutely 100% determined that all victims of suicide have a diagnosable mental illness? They may be suffering from a depression of course but my understanding is that depression can come about as a result of either external factors or internal factors. As I see it the latter would be diagnosable as a mental illness but the former would probably not. I only bring this up because if they are not both clinically diagnosable, is it wise to treat them in the same manner? I would think the viable options for suicide prevention would likely differ depending on the type/category of depression.

Now I can certainly accept that the vast majority of suicides and attempted suicides are committed by people who do in fact suffer from mental illness. But I'm just thinking back to all the suicides during the Great Depression (no pun intended of course), and I find difficult to believe they were all clinically mentally ill, I believe the majority at that time were overwhelmingly devastated by the situations of the day to the extent that they simply couldn't cope. They were plunged into a depression certainly but I think it was all from external factors, not internal ones that we today would recognize as mental illness.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Is it absolutely 100% determined that all victims of suicide have a diagnosable mental illness? They may be suffering from a depression of course but my understanding is that depression can come about as a result of either external factors or internal factors. As I see it the latter would be diagnosable as a mental illness but the former would probably not. I only bring this up because if they are not both clinically diagnosable, is it wise to treat them in the same manner? I would think the viable options for suicide prevention would likely differ depending on the type/category of depression.

Now I can certainly accept that the vast majority of suicides and attempted suicides are committed by people who do in fact suffer from mental illness. But I'm just thinking back to all the suicides during the Great Depression (no pun intended of course), and I find difficult to believe they were all clinically mentally ill, I believe the majority at that time were overwhelmingly devastated by the situations of the day to the extent that they simply couldn't cope. They were plunged into a depression certainly but I think it was all from external factors, not internal ones that we today would recognize as mental illness.

Lots of people fall on hard times, but only a tiny fraction of people actually kill themselves.

For people who are mentally ill, catastrophic events where they hurt themselves or others are normally triggered by outside stressers. The things that people who are mentally ill face are not all in their head, but their illness affects how they react to it.

Something like the great depression represents a time when a lot of people faced a huge stresser at the same time. You also have the effects of suicide clusters or copycat suicides.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Lottsa reportedly this and reportedly that in the press. We don't know how or why this dude died. We don't know anything about this so-called depression angle. But it's the easier softer way to blame or focus on some condition rather than one's own actions and choices too.

Could be he was just a dime-a-dozen drug addict. George wasn't very forthcoming with his own details a few years back so I doubt we'll ever know much about this guy. But ya never know I guess. Smitherman could surprise us all.

Until we do, oh well. I don't much care.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Lottsa reportedly this and reportedly that in the press. We don't know how or why this dude died. We don't know anything about this so-called depression angle. But it's the easier softer way to blame or focus on some condition rather than one's own actions and choices too.

Could be he was just a dime-a-dozen drug addict. George wasn't very forthcoming with his own details a few years back so I doubt we'll ever know much about this guy. But ya never know I guess. Smitherman could surprise us all.

Until we do, oh well. I don't much care.

Given that he is a private citizen, don't expect much more in the way of details.

Obviously Christopher's actions and choices are exactly why everything ended up where it is, but these actions and choices were influenced by his mental illness.

I don't know why you are saying that George wasn't forthcoming about his struggle with addiction. He came out and talked about it under his own volition. He first talked about it publicly at an event called "courage to come back", which celebrates people who have overcome addiction.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Memorial held for George Smitherman's husband, Christopher Peloso
By Kevin Connor ,Toronto Sun
First posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 11:05 AM EST | Updated: Friday, January 03, 2014 08:09 PM EST
TORONTO - The battle with depression was one Christopher Peloso wouldn’t win, former Ontario deputy premier George Smitherman told a crowd at his late husband’s memorial Friday.
Peloso, 40, a stay-at-home father of two adopted children, went missing last Sunday in Toronto’s west end and was found dead a little while later.
Police do not suspect foul play.
Peloso also went missing in September for 36 hours.
“Christopher would have been embarrassed by all this fuss,” Smitherman told a standing room only crowd at the Wellesley Community Centre. “He had strength. He would never say no, he would never complain and he would never ask for help. We won’t be afraid in Christopher’s name to tell his story. The pain in his brain was unrelenting. We have to find peace knowing that our little yellow bird is free.”
The memorial heard on several occasions about Peloso’s love of animals.
Smitherman said the couple had many cats over the years and their children were aware of the cycle of life.
“I had to explain Dada was dead and I couldn’t stop crying,” he said.
Christopher suffered with depression and that lead to his passing, said his father Reno Peloso.
“Chris suffered from depression and there is no shame in that,” Peloso said.
Morgan Morrow, Peloso’s biological daughter from a previous relationship told the mourners that her relationship with her dad wasn’t defined by the amount of time they spent together but by the bonds they shared.
“My dad put a constant smile on my face and he did that for so many people,” Morrow said.
Former Toronto mayor and family friend, Barbara Hall, said Peloso died too young, but had a full life.
“Society and attitudes regarding depression are changing but not fast enough,” Hall told the mourners.
Smitherman ended the memorial by bringing his children on the stage and asking guests to stay and visit.
In lieu of flowers mourners were asked to make donations to Casey House and the psychiatry research fund at Toronto General and Western Hospital.
George Smitherman, along with his kids - Michael, 5, and Kayla, 3, with the urn containing ashes during a memorial service for Smitherman's husband - Christopher Peloso — at the Wellesley Community Centre in Toronto Jan. 3, 2014. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun)

Memorial held for George Smitherman's husband, Christopher Peloso | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun