DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I read somewhere that he suffered from deep depression. If that is the case, then no matter how much money he had, it wouldn't make a difference with how "lucky" he was.

Sadly true. It doesnt care how good you have it when it strikes. Our mental health system here is almost useless which doesnt help.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Sadly true. It doesnt care how good you have it when it strikes. Our mental health system here is almost useless which doesnt help.

Not entirely true. Part of the problem with depression is having access to the right help and living comfortably will definitely get you better access. The other thing is that the individual has to actively seek out such help. If you don't identify the problem and seek treatment, the best healthcare system in the world isn't going to help you.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes maybe if he had stayed with his family he wouldn't have been so emotionally torn .

Maybe, maybe not. Personally they have made no difference to me one way or another when I have had to deal with these sorts of issues. My step sister shot herself in the head in a room next to the one her mother and daughter were in. Less than a minute before she died she seemed perfectly happy and normal from what I'm told. You never know when this sort of thing is going to hit.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I have not seen any articles with specifics about how he died but there are more than a few that mention suicide.

There has been an unwritten rule in the media not to report suicide. The belief is that reporting on suicide can actually cause more people to take their own lives. I suspect that is the case here.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
There has been an unwritten rule in the media not to report suicide. The belief is that reporting on suicide can actually cause more people to take their own lives. I suspect that is the case here.

Did you have a point or were you just setting up an opportunity to share this nugget of wisdom?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

I've heard that theory. I have no idea if there is any truth to the idea though. I wonder if it would also apply to things like murder or car accidents. I have had suicidal thoughts before and actually found news stories on it to be a good deterrent. Reinforces the idea that it isnt a good idea. There arent too many of them that end with "and everyone is happy now."

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I've heard that theory. I have no idea if there is any truth to the idea though. I wonder if it would also apply to things like murder or car accidents. I have had suicidal thoughts before and actually found news stories on it to be a good deterrent. Reinforces the idea that it isnt a good idea. There arent too many of them that end with "and everyone is happy now."
Apparently it can happen:
A spike of emulation suicides after a widely publicized suicide is known as the Werther effect, following Goethe's novel The Sorrows of Young Werther.[1]
The well-known suicide serves as a model, in the absence of protective factors, for the next suicide. This is referred to as suicide contagion.[2] They occasionally spread through a school system, through a community, or in terms of a celebrity suicide wave, nationally. This is called a suicide cluster.[2] Suicide clusters are caused by the social learning of suicide related behaviors, or "copycat suicides". Point clusters are clusters of suicides in both time and space, and have been linked to direct social learning from nearby individuals.[3] Mass clusters are clusters of suicides in time but not space, and have been linked to the broadcasting of information concerning celebrity suicides via the mass media[4] Examples of celebrities whose suicides have inspired suicide clusters include Ruan Lingyu, the Japanese musicians Yukiko Okada and hide, and Marilyn Monroe, whose death was followed by an increase of 200 more suicides than average for that August month.[2]

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Did you have a point or were you just setting up an opportunity to share this nugget of wisdom?

I was responding to your post. Put your little conspiracy slide rule away I wasn't setting up for anything.

The media has been rethinking it as of late. The idea that not reporting on suicide minimizes the awareness. For instance there have been a number of suicides involving the TCT, but it wouldn't get reported. There is an evolving discussion that they should to make people aware of the issue.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A huge problem with suicide is that people skirt around it. They are afraid to say to someone, are you suicidal? Are you going to harm yourself? People avoid the topic.

His partner will have a hard road ahead of him.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
A huge problem with suicide is that people skirt around it. They are afraid to say to someone, are you suicidal? Are you going to harm yourself? People avoid the topic.

His partner will have a hard road ahead of him.

I suppose the fear might be that to say it out loud might trigger the actual thought.

I find it troubling that people feel a need to gloss over the obvious. Even the idiotic assertions as to what kind of individual he was before he took his own life. He killed himself, whether he was or was not a good father, loving husband, working hard to get better is a bunch of BS. He was a very troubled person who chose to take his own life. That in itself is a tragedy. Why say a bunch of BS to try and make it sound like he fought the good fight.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I suppose the fear might be that to say it out loud might trigger the actual thought.
Agreed, yes that is exactly the fear. The reality is, if someone is thinking about suicide, asking them if they are is exactly what they need to be asked. Once someone is there only a straightforward approach is possible if they are going to be deterred.

If they are not thinking about it, they will say something like, "well dying would be okay, but I am not thinking of killing myself yet."

More people need to take suicide prevention courses. If as many people took suicide prevention courses as they do first aid courses it would help a lot.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

I find it troubling that people feel a need to gloss over the obvious. Even the idiotic assertions as to what kind of individual he was before he took his own life. He killed himself, whether he was or was not a good father, loving husband, working hard to get better is a bunch of BS. He was a very troubled person who chose to take his own life. That in itself is a tragedy. Why say a bunch of BS to try and make it sound like he fought the good fight.

And you call me an idiot? You think that apparent suicide and the fact that he was a loving father and worked very hard to overcome this disease are mutually exclusive statements?

Dismissing these very large parts of his life as "BS" is a bit disturbing.

Why would I need to take a prevention course?

To help prevent suicides.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And you call me an idiot? You think that apparent suicide and the fact that he was a loving father and worked very hard to overcome this disease are mutually exclusive statements?
Must be true.....Ford said so.....
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who defeated Smitherman in the 2010 election, tweeted: “It is with great sadness that I have learned of the passing of Mr. Christopher Peloso, husband to Mr. George Smitherman, and loving father.”