Cfl 2017

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now that pee wee season is over, next week is when things matter.

always fun to watch no matter who wins or loses.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It is time for Chris Jones to deliver

The pre-season of 2017 was a change of pace for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who typically save their meaningless games for October.

But now that the latest spasm of exhibition games is over, the Roughriders have an opportunity to make amends for two-plus years of rarely interrupted horror.

Many of the players who, er, contributed to Saskatchewan’s 10-35 tailspin are gone. So are the excuses.

This is Chris Jones’ team now.

The Roughriders’ second-year head coach, defensive co-ordinator, general manager and vice-president of football operations has built the roster as he sees fit.

Write off 2016 as a transitional year for the Roughriders, who severed ties with several veterans — most notably slotback Weston Dressler and defensive end John Chick — after Jones inherited a team that had posted a 3-15 record in 2015.

Last year, the Roughriders’ one remaining marquee veteran was Darian Durant, who quarterbacked the team to West Division titles in 2009, 2010 and 2013 and a home-field Grey Cup championship in the latter year.

Jones eventually sent him packing, too.

Now it is time to shed the losing label as well.

The Roughriders should be the CFL’s flagship franchise in every sense.

They have a pristine pigskin palace — a $278-million shrine to the Green and White — and an adoring fan base.

However, they have become the free space on the CFL’s bingo card. (For more free space, check out the commissioner’s office.)

For all the talk of the figurative 13th man, and of how Mosaic Stadium (pick a version) is a forbidding environment for opponents, it has become ridiculously easy to pull a victory out of the Queen City since mid-September of 2014. The key to the entire process is typically a successful landing at Regina International Airport.

Jones was brought to Regina, at considerable expense, only eight days after coaching and co-ordinating the Edmonton Eskimos to a Grey Cup victory in 2015.

Roughriders president-CEO Craig Reynolds handed Jones the keys to Saskatchewan’s football kingdom. He is the CFL’s unrivalled pace-setter in job descriptions.

Jones’ first major move as Mr. Everything was to hire player-personnel guru John Murphy away from the perennial powerhouse that is the Calgary Stampeders.

The twin hirings seemed like a coup for the Roughriders — a point that was repeatedly, perhaps excessively, made in this cherished space at the time.

After all, Reynolds had just landed the CFL’s hottest head-coaching commodity and a highly reputable personnel expert while, in theory, weakening divisional rivals.

Those moves were such a smashing success that the Roughriders of 2016 erupted for one victory in their first 11 games. We still await the release of the highlight DVD.

Along with the chronic losses, there were repeated, league-issued fines and other forms of controversy.

The Jones-led Roughriders did win four games in succession after the 1-10 start but, by then, it was strictly for show.

In fairness to Jones, the 2016 Roughriders weren’t entirely his team, and he was continually sifting through prospects in search of keepers.

It is reasonable to expect a well-managed team to be competitive, and then some, after one year of retooling and experimentation.

That one year has elapsed. Jones turned the final page by trading Durant to the Montreal Alouettes in January after contract talks proved to be futile. It was an inevitable transaction after Jones, during a season-ending interview, affectionately referred to Durant as “moderately successful.”

Last season’s Roughriders didn’t even meet that modest standard, going 5-13 and sharing the CFL’s cellar with the Toronto Argonauts.

Saskatchewan’s sorry slate was an improvement over the 3-15 nadir of 2015, but not to the extent where it could be definitively stated that the new regime was charting a certain course to glory.

More:

It is time for Chris Jones to deliver | Regina Leader-Post

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Still think it was Corey's fault?

Short answer - yes. What I though of Corey in his last year with the team still stands, pete. However, I also put some of the blame on management for both Corey and this new idiots failings. Why they can't find a good coach who knows how to steer our team to wins is beyond me. Looks like we are stuck with Jones for this year so I earnestly hope that his idea of gutting the team and stacking it with his own choices will prove to be a good formula - but I am not holding my breath.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He did bring in some talent. Question is "will they see him as a competent coach or a fool that will kill their fledgling careers"? WTF did he hire Vince for?

May as well sober up George Reed too.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
He did bring in some talent. Question is "will they see him as a competent coach or a fool that will kill their fledgling careers"? WTF did he hire Vince for?

May as well sober up George Reed too.

From what I was hearing about Vince during the game yesterday chances are he won't even make an appearance on the field this season. Another waste of time and money.

I will be watching the Als closely this year to see how Darian does with them. He's had a good preseason so far.

From what I saw yesterday, we do have some good players out there, pete. The trouble is that Jones has no control over them and they keep crossing the line by committing stupid senseless costly penalties - just like last year. If Jones can't get a handle on that, we could be in for a long miserable season.

While we are sobering up George..............maybe we could bring Ronnie back from the dead.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
My last name is on the Grey Cup!!

My Dad's father won it in 1931 with the Montreal Winged Wheelers! :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The CFL season opener will feature my Riders and the Alouettes. This will be a tough one for me as I am still fuming over the fact the DD will be on the opposing team instead of in Rider Green. Part of me would dearly love to see Darian come out on the winning side if for no other reason than to show Jones what a fool he was to let him go. The other part, the long-suffering Rider supporter part, would love to see the Riders finally show they have the team we need to put a lot of wins on the board this season.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Green is the Colour
Football is the Game
We're all together
and Winning is our aim
So Cheer us on through the sun and rain
Saskatchewan Roughriders is our name

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am, yeah, but my RB jersey hasn't arrived yet. I'm still fond of the Riders, and I have huge respect for DD.

Just out of curiosity Tec, which RB player's jersey did you choose?

It hurts my heart to see DD in Al's colors but I so wish him success - he deserves it.

I wish you the very best season possible, right up to when my boys beat y'all in the Grey Cup!

Good of you to believe that we will make it that far, Tec. :lol: