Canadian border officers cause trauma to good people

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
GREAT Story!
And despite the fact that I hold a valid PAL, and own registered firearms, I simply did what I knew to be the appropriate thing. I wanted to go fishing.

I could have been a dick, but then what? Risk spending the day sitting in a cruiser while they get pay back?

No point, lifes to short and there are far greater injustices to rise up against.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And despite the fact that I hold a valid PAL, and own registered firearms, I simply did what I knew to be the appropriate thing. I wanted to go fishing.

I could have been a dick, but then what? Risk spending the day sitting in a cruiser while they get pay back?

No point, lifes to short and there are far greater injustices to rise up against.

What made me laugh is you were moments away from being considered a dick with the laughing. That is why the cop said...

"Do you think this is funny?"

Funny story.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's when people calmly answer the ridiculous questions without batting an eye that they really worry. I saw one show where an officer was asking if the driver had any guns, drugs, elephants or dead prostitutes in the trunk. The guy simply said 'no officer' without even a hint of 'huh?' in his voice. Needless to say the trunk was full of drugs and the guy was so panicked he was just giving robotic responses.

I have worked for 3 different Police Officers (all retired) for the past 7 years - and the stories they tell about quesions asked, manner, and all - And some of the answers are well Out there -

Why this guy went off the deep end -

1 - he was having a bad day -

2 - he is used to crapping on people that he thinks are beneath him

3 - He has a sense of Self Importance

4 - Just ****n dumb.

I vote for reasons 2 thru 4

But then again i am just a crazy old coot.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What made me laugh is you were moments away from being considered a dick with the laughing. That is why the cop said...

"Do you think this is funny?"
True, I never thought about that, but at the time it really did seem funny to me. The whole SWAT team thing.

But also going through my mind was the fact that these are men with families. Their bottom line is themselves. By the time I started to really find it funny, was when I put it all together, being followed, the Cops pulling me over, thinking the rod bag was a rifle. Ya, I started to think it was funny. Not funny at them doing their job, but funny as in the whole situation just seemed over the top to me.

Funny story.
Every single one of my fishing and hunting buddies, thinks the same thing. I still get asked if I got stopped when I get to fishing spots, lol.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I got 'extra attention' going through security in the Bangor (Maine) airport last month - I called it the 'pot bellied man check'...they just did a quick pat down of my pot belly. Which isn't even that big, so I'm not sure why I qualified.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I got 'extra attention' going through security in the Bangor (Maine) airport last month - I called it the 'pot bellied man check'...they just did a quick pat down of my pot belly. Which isn't even that big, so I'm not sure why I qualified.
Were you wearing a metal belt buckle?

I get that check at the local court house all the time.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Down here we'd consider that Six Pack Abs Ten.