Canada scores 2nd last on energy efficiency study

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
I think the point has been made that distance has very little impact on the energy efficiency of vehicles and transportation. Climate has very little impact on the level of efficiency acquired by building owners and managers. And of course there is no way of knowing what the energy efficiency of our industrial users is because that is a closely guarded trade secret. The price of energy does seem to have a major impact on efficiency though, and Canada and the US have a perverse sense of pride in being the nations that subsidize energy use the most. As long as we continue to do that we will find that all segments of energy use are poorly efficient.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think the point has been made that distance has very little impact on the energy efficiency of vehicles and transportation. Climate has very little impact on the level of efficiency acquired by building owners and managers. And of course there is no way of knowing what the energy efficiency of our industrial users is because that is a closely guarded trade secret. The price of energy does seem to have a major impact on efficiency though, and Canada and the US have a perverse sense of pride in being the nations that subsidize energy use the most. As long as we continue to do that we will find that all segments of energy use are poorly efficient.

I don't think you understand the concept of energy efficiency. Are you saying that a building in Inuvik that needs to be heated much of the year is as energy-efficient as one that needs no heating or cooling?

And that shipping something from Vancouver to Halifax uses no more energy than shipping it next door?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I'll be damned if I am going to sign up for an account just to read their report. I am much too lazy to even use a spaminator temporary email account to sign up.

I do recall another survey that looked at household water and energy usage, and Canada was not doing very well. Anecdotally, I notice the water issue all the time (I tend to take much more time in the shower than my European peers). There is the common argument about cold weather, but we do not stack up against the Scandinavian countries very well.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I don't think you understand the concept of energy efficiency. Are you saying that a building in Inuvik that needs to be heated much of the year is as energy-efficient as one that needs no heating or cooling?

And that shipping something from Vancouver to Halifax uses no more energy than shipping it next door?

I think that you may have become confused. Energy efficiency is relative. A building in Inuvik can be more energy efficient than one that requires no heating and cooling. The use of incandescent light bulbs, for example, can make the latter extremely inefficient if that is the only way it uses energy.

For transportation, it is not about usage but how the energy is used.