Can Ignatieff distance himself from his past?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
So....are you saying that Harper is a true patriot in sacrificing a
shoe-in Majority that could have been obtained easily in two very
different scenarios, in order to save Canada from having the
Coalition inflicted upon it, lead by Mr. Dion, at a time of Global
Financial Uncertainty where the country could least afford that
type of political gamesmanship?

If so...that's an interesting perspective that I haven't seen on
these forums yet, but I can see a valid argument for that
position.

Ron had he not done the prorogation of Parliament he would have been a true strategist. But in what he did he missed the best chance he had set up the opposition by locking up the House.. He could no longer effectively do anything until it re-opened. He gave the Liberals the golden chance they needed to rebuild..

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
BTW, I wonder how come anyone would believe Iggy can lead us to the Promised Land, after he spent 34 years searching for Canada....in Massachusetts?????

I'd say he has some directional problems, to be polite.:lol::lol::lol:

Seems you are the one with directional problems good sir, Ignatieff spent only 5 years in the USA, the rest of his time abroad was spent in the UK.

And really, if Wayne Gretzky returned to Canada to seek office, I really don't think the Tories would have the bollocks to call him a Canadian of convenience. I really don't.

Funny thing is, I had a better grasp of what Canada is all about after having spent some time abroad myself.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ron had he not done the prorogation of Parliament he would have been a true strategist. But in what he did he missed the best chance he had set up the opposition by locking up the House.. He could no longer effectively do anything until it re-opened. He gave the Liberals the golden chance they needed to rebuild..

So...the path that Harper chose wasn't for the benefit of himself or
his party then...and I doubt that he's a dumb man, and the same
would go for his advisors.....he could have pounced (twice) and
had a majority that even us armchair quarterback can clearly
see....so his motivation for the path he chose was???8O

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
So...the path that Harper chose wasn't for the benefit of himself or
his party then...and I doubt that he's a dumb man, and the same
would go for his advisors.....he could have pounced (twice) and
had a majority that even us armchair quarterback can clearly
see....so his motivation for the path he chose was???8O

They believed the economy was not in bad shape if you recall while all other parties believed different.. I would imagine bad advising and panic..

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
And people talk about Ignatieff flip-flopping, meanwhile Harper was all over the Liberals for "getting into bed with separatists", but only a few months later the Tories are kissing up to the Bloc without shame.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
And people talk about Ignatieff flip-flopping, meanwhile Harper was all over the Liberals for "getting into bed with separatists", but only a few months later the Tories are kissing up to the Bloc without shame.

There is a major difference between seeking the support of the BQ for individual pieces of legislation, or even for their aid in defeating a gov't.......and de facto including them in a coalition to rule the Country they are out to destroy.....a BIG difference.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep. I didn't say the tendency to be a pancake was limited to being a Glib. I could shoot Harpy for a few things. The best reason I'd have for doing that would be to bail out automakers, and cut back research and development. You'd think he owned an oil well or something. :D

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Though I oppose Ignatieff on more than a few points, I don't see his having lived outside of Canada to be an issue for me. In principle, I believe that a politician who's lived abroad can be just as good as one who's lived in the country all his life, but with different strengths; the one who's lived abroad might be able to look at issues through a fresh point of view, while the one who's always stayed in the country might have more familiarity with the issue.

So while there are plenty of things to criticize about Ignatieff, I really don't see how his having lived out of country plays in all of this.

Also, a party that can do nothing but spew attack adds does not win my vote. If anything, the attack adds lower my respect for the party. But then, seeing that most parties get into this, that's probably the main reason it's sometimes easier to just ignore the arty and vote for the best candidate.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There is a major difference between seeking the support of the BQ for individual pieces of legislation, or even for their aid in defeating a gov't.......and de facto including them in a coalition to rule the Country they are out to destroy.....a BIG difference.

Actually, this was a big misunderstanding, It was to be a Liberal-NDP co-alition with the Bloc promissing to give that co-alition its confidence in any confidence vote for a set period of time.

Now where I saw the biggest problem with that is that the Liberals and NDP together are still just as much of a minority as the Conservatives. To make a real, solid and stable majority co-alition, it would have taken a Liberal-NDP-Bloc coalition, a Conservative-Liberal co-alition, or Conservative-NDP co-alition, or something else of the sort. Without a majority, it can't rule effectively. We're seeing that now. Had the GG been smart, she should have given the government to whatever majority coalition could be formed right after the last election. In fact, that would not be a bad precedent for future minority governments. Had she done that, I could see two likely co-alitions:

1. NDP-Liberal-Bloc or
2. Liberal-Conservative

Though under Dion at the time, it would have been a hard coin toss.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

And the excuse for this one was ?

One always says to never burn a bridge and now it seems Harper has done so by having to grovel to the Bloc for support again. So from a Friend and Coalition partner to the Devil back to a friend in need.. You cannot keep trashing the people you need that way..

“We will have [in a coalition] a mechanism of permanent consultation empowering the Bloc Québécois on every question of importance, notably concerning the adoption of the budget. This Prime Minister, this government, this party has never and will never sign a document like that,” Mr. Harper said.

While in opposition, however, Mr. Harper asked then-Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson in 2004 to turn to him if Paul Martin's newly elected Liberal government were defeated in the Commons.

“We respectfully point out that the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the House, have been in close consultation. We believe that, should a request for dissolution arise this should give you cause, as constitutional practice has determined, to consult the opposition leaders and consider all of your options before exercising your constitutional authority,” Mr. Harper said at the time.

The release of the 2000 draft agreement from the Canadian Alliance is likely to bolster the coalition's arguments that the Conservatives are engaged in double-speak.

globeandmail.com: Bloc part of secret coalition plot in 2000 with Canadian Alliance

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009

Actually, the Bloc was not going to be a part of the coalition, they would simply agree to be supportive on legislation for a defined amount of time, the very same kind of support being sought by the Tories at this time.

On the other hand, one could refer to the letter dated Sep-2004 to the Governor General where Stephen Harper seeks a coalition government with the NDP and those same Bloquistes who seek to destroy this country... hyprocrisy from Harper showing no bounds.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Actually, the Bloc was not going to be a part of the coalition, they would simply agree to be supportive on legislation for a defined amount of time, the very same kind of support being sought by the Tories at this time.

On the other hand, one could refer to the letter dated Sep-2004 to the Governor General where Stephen Harper seeks a coalition government with the NDP and those same Bloquistes who seek to destroy this country... hyprocrisy from Harper showing no bounds.

You seem to be stating my points in your own words.. Can you come up with new arguments or do you plan on letting me do all the work and post after ?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You seem to be stating my points in your own words.. Can you come up with new arguments or do you plan on letting me do all the work and post after ?

I replied to his post before reading all the others. Yes, my post is redundant, but does it really matter?

Perhaps this is one of those, "Great Minds Think Alike" sort of things?8O