Can Ignatieff distance himself from his past?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

Jack Elam. Him and Ignatieff are twins separated at birth.
Maybe that's why lived in the States for 34 years.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Personally, I recognize that a person's views do change, but also like proof that they have indeed changed and that the same error in judgement is not likely to be repeated again. Do you think Ignatieff's history on this might come back to haunt him next election?

Actually, I like Ignatieff's views on American hegemony, war, and military action. I believe we missed the boat on missile defence.......and I think Iggy, in any moment of honesty, would agree.

Now, please explain how a man with these powerful views is going to succeed as head of the Liberal Party of Canada, which has been gutless, take no position that might offend anyone, hold your finger in the air to catch the political breeze, kiss the ass of every dictator in sight......for at least 50 years.

That's easy.

He'll simply change his views.

Or at least CLAIM to have different views....during the election campaign.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Actually, I like Ignatieff's views on American hegemony, war, and military action. I believe we missed the boat on missile defence.......and I think Iggy, in any moment of honesty, would agree.

Now, please explain how a man with these powerful views is going to succeed as head of the Liberal Party of Canada, which has been gutless, take no position that might offend anyone, hold your finger in the air to catch the political breeze, kiss the ass of every dictator in sight......for at least 50 years.

That's easy.

He'll simply change his views.

Or at least CLAIM to have different views....during the election campaign.

You mean like Harper said he would never run a deficit and have Liberal types Budgets..

Please Colpy, don't insult our intelligence.. All politicians lie to get into power.. No exception to the rule..

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
"Is that because he is the furthest of the Conservative centre leaning Liberal they have had or just because he is part of the Liberal Party YukonJack ?"

Partly, yes.
Partly, yes.

Both mostly for just a simple fact that he's got a face that only a mother could love and only a fool could trust.

and what does Harper's face and blue sweater-vests tell you?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Yes

Wrong, Voted Independent in past election..

I don't support any. I voted Green the last election because the local candidate was the least inept.

Don't care how you voted..

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Um, it's true that they all promise stuff they don't deliver on, but I've noticed that most, if not all the Gliberals have flipflopped around on their principles ....... sorry, I meant "values", whenever they perceive public opinion is against them. They are populist. Now, ordinarily, this isn't necessarily bad, but then if they ever come up with something worthwhile and get the idea it isn't popular with the public, they will go with the bad idea if they think the public favors it.
People like Harpy just promise stuff, and do their best to do what they want regardless of who likes it or not, or whether it's any good or not. So they aren't nearly as populist as the Gliberals.
People like Laymton just squawk about whatever the other guy does whether it's good or not. If it isn't a Dipper deed, it's no good.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Wrong, Voted Independent in past election..

You are a Liberal so you lie like a rug? Anybody can tell by your comments on this site that you are Liberal through and through. To use your own words, "
Don't insult our intelligence"
Don't care how you voted..
Ya, sure. That's why you brought it up. Can't you Lieberals at least be honest when you are anonymous?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

You are a Liberal so you lie like a rug? Anybody can tell by your comments on this site that you are Liberal through and through. To use your own words, "
Don't insult our intelligence"

Ya, sure. That's why you brought it up. Can't you Lieberals at least be honest when you are anonymous?

Are you like 10 years old.. Resorting to insults is so mature..

My own words "Don't insult our intelligence" was meant as don't insult those of us on the Forums who can read between the lines which doesnt include you..

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You mean like Harper said he would never run a deficit and have Liberal types Budgets..

Please Colpy, don't insult our intelligence.. All politicians lie to get into power.. No exception to the rule..

As far as I'm concerned, and I've said it before, Harper blew that entire episode. He should have let the "coalition" bounce him on a matter of principle (keeping the BQ OUT of power).

One of two things would have happened: Harper falls, goes to the G-G demanding an election on principle: Jean refuses, lets Dion take over, the Liberals wear the Recession and the deficit spending, the CPC returns in a couple of years with a majority.....

or:

Harper falls, goes to the G-G demanding an election on principle: Jean disolves Parliament, Harper runs against seditious coaltion, wins majority, has four years to ride out recession and recovery.

Harper is FAR from perfect, he is merely the best offered....

Scary, isn't it?8O

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol It's been stated as obvious that I am conservative .... by liberals. It's also been stated as being obvious that I am a liberal .... by conservatives. I suspect I am not the only person here like that. My actual political bent is pretty much straight in the middle .... caught in the crossfire, as SR Vaughn sang one time. lol So I really get a chuckle out of people that say things like you just quoted, Francis. :D BTW, I am heavily armored so being in the crossfire doesn't bother me and I am free to snipe at both sides. lol

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
As far as I'm concerned, and I've said it before, Harper blew that entire episode. He should have let the "coalition" bounce him on a matter of principle (keeping the BQ OUT of power).

One of two things would have happened: Harper falls, goes to the G-G demanding an election on principle: Jean refuses, lets Dion take over, the Liberals wear the Recession and the deficit spending, the CPC returns in a couple of years with a majority.....

or:

Harper falls, goes to the G-G demanding an election on principle: Jean disolves Parliament, Harper runs against seditious coaltion, wins majority, has four years to ride out recession and recovery.

Harper is FAR from perfect, he is merely the best offered....

Scary, isn't it?8O

Colpy, here I totally agree and go even further.. I think Harper did the Conservative Party a disfavour by locking it up in prorogation and let the Liberals change Leaders and have the economy falter. Without a proper stimulus budget it was the major issue that caused the biggest call for non-confidence in the house and superceeded the party funding issue. The opposition would have looked damn stupid had they gone for just party funding as the main cause for Gov't fall.

Had he forced the issue in Oct 2008 and tried to call an election he would have come out smelling like a Rose with a Majority in either an Election or as you say, the fall of the coalition when it was doomed to happen. Also Dion would have been Leader and still the target of a weak party..

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
lol It's been stated as obvious that I am conservative .... by liberals. It's also been stated as being obvious that I am a liberal .... by conservatives. I suspect I am not the only person here like that. My actual political bent is pretty much straight in the middle .... caught in the crossfire, as SR Vaughn sang one time. lol So I really get a chuckle out of people that say things like you just quoted, Francis. :D BTW, I am heavily armored so being in the crossfire doesn't bother me and I am free to snipe at both sides. lol

Well I agree LG.. But I have no patience for people who have no respect and no time either.. Those with closed minds have no place in my schedule..

I respect Colpy, and the many others, very much and value their opinions but have no time for others who just think insults will impress me.

I much like you see life in a Centre but Right of the political financial street.. I don't hide who I am and have no fear of voting out of main stream.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Colpy, here I totally agree and go even further.. I think Harper did the Conservative Party a disfavour by locking it up in prorogation and let the Liberals change Leaders and have the economy falter. Without a proper stimulus budget it was the major issue that caused the biggest call for non-confidence in the house and superceeded the party funding issue. The opposition would have looked damn stupid had they gone for just party funding as the main cause for Gov't fall.

Had he forced the issue in Oct 2008 and tried to call an election he would have come out smelling like a Rose with a Majority in either an Election or as you say, the fall of the coalition when it was doomed to happen. Also Dion would have been Leader and still the target of a weak party..

So....are you saying that Harper is a true patriot in sacrificing a
shoe-in Majority that could have been obtained easily in two very
different scenarios, in order to save Canada from having the
Coalition inflicted upon it, lead by Mr. Dion, at a time of Global
Financial Uncertainty where the country could least afford that
type of political gamesmanship?

If so...that's an interesting perspective that I haven't seen on
these forums yet, but I can see a valid argument for that
position.