Can Canada be totally conquered

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Proud American, there has been an onslaught of propaganda north of the border to make this an internationalist or global state. It's obvious some have bought in. I'm Old Canada. Folks in these parts are still fighting to call Christmas- Christmas!
The great tests lie ahead. I'm perfectly sure that some of the contributors here actually believe it's smooth sailing ahead. I don't. I think the land is full of Trojan horses. Waiting for evening. It's coming. Doesn't it always?
We've seen wakeup calls from Britain and France and the Netherlands over the last two years. We're not listening. We're members of that proud school: "it can't happen here." Sounds like a prelude to our own Scary Movie.

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD
Re: RE: Can Canada be totally conquered

tamarin said:
Proud American, there has been an onslaught of propaganda north of the border to make this an internationalist or global state. It's obvious some have bought in. I'm Old Canada. Folks in these parts are still fighting to call Christmas- Christmas!
The great tests lie ahead. I'm perfectly sure that some of the contributors here actually believe it's smooth sailing ahead. I don't. I think the land is full of Trojan horses. Waiting for evening. It's coming. Doesn't it always?
We've seen wakeup calls from Britain and France and the Netherlands over the last two years. We're not listening. We're members of that proud school: "it can't happen here." Sounds like a prelude to our own Scary Movie.

Tamarin, they are stripping "Christmas" away from us here too...
As to not offend "Non-Christians", people say "Happy Holidays". What I don't get is that there would be no "CHRISTmas" without CHRIST..go figure....sad state the world is in... :cry: Well, pray for us as we will pray for you.. :wink:

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

As to not offend "Non-Christians", people say "Happy Holidays". What I don't get is that there would be no "CHRISTmas" without CHRIST..go figure....sad state the world is in... Well, pray for us as we will pray for you..

Christmas, a day off, X-mas, time with the family, or whatever you want to call December the 25th... That is a personal preference that each person should be free to decide. I call Christmas - Christmas (even though I am an atheist), but if I want to, I should be able to call it by pretty much any other name. So long as other people speaking my language understand what I am getting at, it shouldn't be much of a problem, should it?
Perhaps the people who say "Happy Holidays" simply have a preference to call it that? Again, folks should be free to call it what they like.
If you are referring to companies and the like saying "Happy Holidays", then maybe they believe that it would be more beneficial (as in, would attract more customers) to call it that than something else. It's a fairly neutral term, after all. Not that anyone ought to be bothered either way, especially since there is more than one holiday in December depending on one's beliefs...(!) Really, what are you trying to get at, guys?

As to Christmas and Christ, and the meaning behind that special day, I don't personally celebrate December the 25th because of him (even if that is where its origins are to be found). For me, it is a day to hook up with family and friends, wind down, take her easy, and enjoy life together (something that I should like to do more often with those around me). For others, it might be more about the gifts. Who am I to say what others ought to do on that day? I could just as well do it on June the 23rd, I suppose, but 12/25 is convenient for obvious reasons.

Sorry if that offends you, but, we all gotta get along, y'know. I won't be upset with how you spend December the 25th if you won't be upset how I spend December the 25th. :)

As to trojan horses, I don't know what you mean. If you mean being overly scared about something in the future based off of what I might consider to be silly reasons, then I don't dig.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
RE: Can Canada be totally

properly prepared and motivated army could conquer almost anywhere. Just depends how many deaths they want on the way and how much resistance they come across. Nowadays it seems that when a country declares war it's fine but they should expect to be sued by the families of anyone who gets hurt

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

humanbeing said:
I disagree completely, tamarin.

I think the future will see us more united. Globalization is occuring in so many different ways, I'd love to dream of a day when nation-states are completely obsolete.

What is your solution? Close off the borders and crack down on everything 'non-white'? What the heck does 'black' mean? You are putting yourself at the same level as anyone who advocates opening an 'all-black' school.
I disagree with Tamarin.

But Globalization is BS, and will casue more conflicts.

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD

humanbeing said:

As to not offend "Non-Christians", people say "Happy Holidays". What I don't get is that there would be no "CHRISTmas" without CHRIST..go figure....sad state the world is in... Well, pray for us as we will pray for you..

Christmas, a day off, X-mas, time with the family, or whatever you want to call December the 25th... That is a personal preference that each person should be free to decide. I call Christmas - Christmas (even though I am an atheist), but if I want to, I should be able to call it by pretty much any other name. So long as other people speaking my language understand what I am getting at, it shouldn't be much of a problem, should it?
Perhaps the people who say "Happy Holidays" simply have a preference to call it that? Again, folks should be free to call it what they like.
If you are referring to companies and the like saying "Happy Holidays", then maybe they believe that it would be more beneficial (as in, would attract more customers) to call it that than something else. It's a fairly neutral term, after all. Not that anyone ought to be bothered either way, especially since there is more than one holiday in December depending on one's beliefs...(!) Really, what are you trying to get at, guys?

As to Christmas and Christ, and the meaning behind that special day, I don't personally celebrate December the 25th because of him (even if that is where its origins are to be found). For me, it is a day to hook up with family and friends, wind down, take her easy, and enjoy life together (something that I should like to do more often with those around me). For others, it might be more about the gifts. Who am I to say what others ought to do on that day? I could just as well do it on June the 23rd, I suppose, but 12/25 is convenient for obvious reasons.

Sorry if that offends you, but, we all gotta get along, y'know. I won't be upset with how you spend December the 25th if you won't be upset how I spend December the 25th. :)

As to trojan horses, I don't know what you mean. If you mean being overly scared about something in the future based off of what I might consider to be silly reasons, then I don't dig.

WRONG!! Even our giant retailer WALMART took down all signs in their stores that read MErry CHRISTMAS because idiots were complaining, "I'm not CHristian, I worship donkey's asses" GIVE ME A BREAK!! IT is a CHRISTIAN holiday to celebrate CHRIST! I don't care if you want to kick yourself in the butt the entire day of 12/25, but stop trying to make the holiday something that it is not...
..this is not in an issue of how you "spend" you time for the day! :roll: The issue is that Christmas in the "celebrated" birthday of Jesus Christ which is very important to us CHRISTIANS. If you do not believe in Christ that is your right and choice, but DO NOT try to change the meaning of the whole holiday to suit people such as yourself who don't believe. Why don't ya'll get your own holiday, I don't know, since you believe earth and all its' residents were created from dust and monkeys, have a MONKEY day :lol: , but leave CHristmas where it belongs, with the Christians.... :p And by the way, I am being sarcastic, so no offense I hope..... :D

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nah. All Canada needs to do in an invasion is be patient util winter. And then turn off the gas!

The enemy will leave of their own accord on their own popcycle feet.

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD

Machjo said:
Nah. All Canada needs to do in an invasion is be patient util winter. And then turn off the gas!

The enemy will leave of their own accord on their own popcycle feet.

LOL.... :lol: ANd to think I am getting ready to move to Washington State, closer to the coldness!! Damn!!! 8O

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
WRONG!! Even our giant retailer WALMART took down all signs in their stores that read MErry CHRISTMAS because idiots were complaining, "I'm not CHristian, I worship donkey's asses" GIVE ME A BREAK!! IT is a CHRISTIAN holiday to celebrate CHRIST! I don't care if you want to kick yourself in the butt the entire day of 12/25, but stop trying to make the holiday something that it is not...
..this is not in an issue of how you "spend" you time for the day! The issue is that Christmas in the "celebrated" birthday of Jesus Christ which is very important to us CHRISTIANS. If you do not believe in Christ that is your right and choice, but DO NOT try to change the meaning of the whole holiday to suit people such as yourself who don't believe. Why don't ya'll get your own holiday, I don't know, since you believe earth and all its' residents were created from dust and monkeys, have a MONKEY day , but leave CHristmas where it belongs, with the Christians.... And by the way, I am being sarcastic, so no offense I hope.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wrong. Christmas and it is well documented was stolen from the Pagans and changed into the Birth of Christ. No one know's when Jesus was even born, they don't know what year he was born either because there is no record of it.

So they cooked up this mumble jumble story of crap and said he was born on Chrsitmas day even though they stole the days from the Pagan Yule time.

Christmas is a time just for presents and nothing else, it holds no religious significance unless you are a Pagan.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Yule was the winter solstice celebration of the Germanic pagans. In Germanic Neopaganism it is one of the eight solar holidays, or sabbats, where Yule is celebrated on the winter solstice: in the northern hemisphere, circa December 21, and in the southern hemisphere, circa June 21.

"Yule" and "Yuletide" are also archaic terms for Christmas, sometimes invoked in songs to provide atmosphere. Indeed, this is the only meaning of "Yule" accepted by either the full Oxford English Dictionary or the Concise Oxford Dictionary, and people unfamiliar with ancient pagan traditions will not distinguish between Yule and Christmas. This usage survives in the term "Yule log"; it may also persist in some Scottish dialects.

Contents [hide]
1 Etymology
2 Traditional Yule
3 Connection to modern Christmas
4 Neopagan Yule
4.1 Heathenry
4.2 Wicca & New Age
5 Secular Yuletide
6 External links
7 References

[edit]
Etymology
Of the contested origin of Jól, one popular but factually unlikely connection is to Old Norse hjól, wheel, to identify the moment when the wheel of the year is at its lowpoint, ready to rise again. Linguists suggest that Jól has been inherited by Germanic languages from a pre-Indo-European substrate language and either borrowed into Old English from Old Norse or directly inherited from Proto-Germanic. Other instances refer to the ancient gaulic word "helle" which means light. We thus find half of the word Noël.

A far more likely origin for the term "Yule" can be traced from the Old English/Anglo-Saxon term "Géol", which is strongly connected with the word for yellow - "geol". One may see the evolution of this word for yellow throughout the Germanic and Scandinavian countries: German "gelb", Norwegian "gul", Danish "gul", Gaelic 'geal', Dutch "geel", Swedish "gul", Frisian "giel", even Italian "giallo", Lithuanian "geltonas" and Romanian "galben". The Old English Géol became the Middle English "Yole" and finally modern Yule, whereas the word geol or geolu evolved to become modern yellow. This same divergence of words also occurred in the other languages mentioned. All of these terms ultimately stem from the Indo-European root "ghel-" meaning "to shine". Since the Yule festival is native to the northern European lands, where midwinter is a time of short days and little light, it is a strong possibility that the original sense of Yule as a midwinter festival had much to do with "bringing back the sun" and creating bright, shining, yellow sun-and fire-themed decorations and festivities. Another connection may be to the brightness of the sunlight glaring off the white snow. Therefore, likely meanings may be "Shining Time", "Bright Time" or "Golden Time".

In the Scandinavian Germanic languages, the term Jul covers both Yule and Christmas, and is also occasionally used to denote other holidays in December, e.g., "jødisk jul" or "judisk jul" (tr. "Jewish Yule") for Hanukkah. The word "jul" has also been borrowed into the neighboring Finnic languages, most notably to Finnish and Estonian (where it has been modified to "joulu" and "jõul" , respectively, and denotes Christmas in modern usage), although the Finnic languages have a linguistic origin different from Germanic languages. In Old English, geóla originally referred to the month of December. The meaning later narrowed to mean Christmas with the coming of Christianity in Anglo-Saxon England.

In Russian, the word "ёлка" [ˈjolkə] refers to fir trees, which are associated with yuletide. Other Slavic languages have similar words as well.

[edit]
Traditional Yule
What is certain, is that Yule celebrations at the winter solstice predate Christianity, and though there are numerous references to Yule in the Icelandic sagas, there are few accounts of how Yule was actually celebrated, beyond the fact that it was a time for feasting. 'Yule-Joy', with dancing, continued through the Middle Ages in Iceland, but was frowned upon when the Reformation arrived. It is, however, known to have included the sacrifice of a pig for the god Freyr, a tradition which survives in the Scandinavian Christmas ham.

The confraternities of artisans of the 9th century, which developed into the medieval guilds, were denounced by Catholic clergy for their "conjurations" when they swore to support one another in coming adversity and in business ventures. The occasions were annual banquets on December 26,

"feast day of the pagan god Jul, when it was possible to couple with the spirits of the dead and with demons that returned to the surface of the earth... Many clerics denounced these conjurations as being not only a threat to public order but also, more serious in their eyes, satanic and immoral. Hincmar, in 858, sought in vain to Christianize them" (Rouche 1987, p. 432).
[edit]
Connection to modern Christmas
Many of the symbols associated with the modern holiday of Christmas such as the burning of the Yule log, the eating of ham, the hanging of boughs, holly, mistletoe, etc. are apparently derived from traditional northern European Yule celebrations. When the first missionaries began converting the Germanic peoples to Christianity, they found it easier to simply provide a Christian reinterpretation for popular feasts such as Yule and allow the celebrations themselves to go on largely unchanged, rather than trying to suppress them. The Scandinavian tradition of slaughtering a pig at Christmas (see Christmas ham), and not in the autumn, is probably the most salient evidence for this. The tradition derives from the sacrifice to the god Freyr at the Yule celebrations. Halloween and Easter are theorized to have been likewise assimilated from northern European pagan festivals.

English historian Bede's Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum ("Ecclesiastic History of the English People") contains a letter from Pope Gregory I to Saint Mellitus, who was then on his way to England to conduct missionary work among the heathen Anglo-Saxons. The Pope suggests that converting heathens is easier if they are allowed to retain the outward forms of their traditional pagan practices and traditions, while recasting those traditions spiritually towards the one true God instead of to their pagan gods (whom the Pope refers to as "devils"), "to the end that, whilst some gratifications are outwardly permitted them, they may the more easily consent to the inward consolations of the grace of God". [1] The Pope sanctions such conversion tactics as Biblically acceptable, pointing out that God did much the same thing with the ancient Israelites and their pagan sacrifices.

[edit]
Neopagan Yule

Burning sun wheel at Yule[edit]
Heathenry
In Germanic Neopagan sects, Yule is celebrated with gatherings that often involve a meal and gift giving. Further attempts at reconstruction of surviving accounts of historical celebrations are often made, a hallmark being variations of the traditional blót.

Groups such as the Asatru Folk Assembly in the US recognize the celebration as lasting for 12 days, beginning on the date of the winter solstice. [2]

[edit]
Wicca & New Age
In particular, Wiccan-influenced and New Age religions attempts at reconstruction are largely disregarded and the festival is largely only related to historical accounts by name, as a part the Wheel of the Year.

The holiday is observed in a manner that commemorates the death of the Holly King identified with the wren bird (symbolizing the old year and the shortened sun) at the hands of his son and successor, the robin redbreast Oak King (the new year and the new sun that begins to grow) (Farrar & Farrar [1989] 1998: 35-38).

[edit]
Secular Yuletide
Because Christmas happens during extreme summer temperatures in the southern hemisphere, a few Australians celebrate a second festival, known as Yulefest, at the southern winter solstice in June. A much more popular winter celebration is "Christmas in July", not surprisingly celebrated (several times by some) in July, removing the celebration from all religious connections both Pagan and Christian.

Though notionally synonymous with Christmas, both religious and secular, Yule and Yuletide are sometimes used by English speakers as secular names for December 25th and late December in general in much the same way that the Scandinavian "Jul" does not distinguish between the Germanic Pagan feast, Christmas, and (quite possibly) the pre-Indo-European winter solstice celebration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule#Connection_to_modern_Christmas

Origin of holiday
Although no one knows on which date Jesus was born, there were several reasons for early Christians to favor December 25. The date is nine months after the Festival of Annunciation (March 25), and hence the Incarnation. It is also the date on which the Romans marked the winter solstice.

Around 220, the theologian Tertullian declared that Jesus died on March 25, AD 29. Although this is not a plausible date for the crucifixion, it does suggest that March 25 had significance for the church even before it was used as a basis to calculate Christmas. Modern scholars favor a crucifixion date of April 3, AD 33 (also the date of a partial lunar eclipse).[2] (These are Julian calendar dates. Subtract two days for a Gregorian date.)

By 240, a list of significant events was being assigned to March 25, partly because it was believed to be the date of the vernal equinox. These events include creation, the fall of Adam, and, most relevantly, the Incarnation.[3] The view that the Incarnation occurred on the same date as crucifixion is consistent with a Jewish belief that prophets died at an "integral age," either an anniversary of their birth or of their conception.[4][5]

Aside from being nine months later than Annunciation, December 25 is also the date the Romans marked the winter solstice, which they referred to as bruma. For this reason, some have suggested the opposite of the theory outlined above, i.e. that the date of Christmas was chosen to be the same as that of the solstice and that the date of Annunciation was calculated on this basis. (The Julian calendar was originally only one day off, with the solstice falling on December 24 in 45 BC. Due to calendar slippage, the date of the astronomical solstice has moved back so that it now falls on either December 21 or December 22).

The idea that December 25 is Jesus' birthday was popularized by Sextus Julius Africanus in Chronographiai (AD 221), an early reference book for Christians. This identification did not at first inspire feasting or celebration. In 245, the theologian Origen denounced the idea of celebrating the birthday of Jesus "as if he were a king pharaoh." Only sinners, not saints, celebrate their birthdays, Origen contended.

In 274, Emperor Aurelian designated December 25 as the festival of Sol Invictus (the "unconquered sun"). Aurelian may have chosen this date because the solstice was considered the birthday of Mithras, a syncretic god of Persian origin. Mithras is often identified with Sol Invictus, although Sol was originally a separate Syrian god.

Mural painting of Jesus from the catacombs of Rome, late 4th century.Mithras was a god of light and a child of the earth who sprang up next to a sacred stream. He was born bearing a torch and armed with a knife. Some later Mithratic beliefs were derived from Christianity, such as the belief that Mithras' birth was attended by shepherds. Sundays were dedicated to Mithras and caves were often used for his worship. A series of emperors promoted Mithraism beginning with Commodus. The cult emphasized loyalty to the emperor and Roman soldiers were expected to participate. Mithraism collapsed rapidly after Constantine I withdrew imperial favor (312), despite being at the peak of its popularity only a few years earlier.

As Constantine ended persecution, Christians began to debate the nature of Christ. The Alexandrian school argued that he was the divine word made flesh (see John 1:14), while the Antioch school held that he was born human and infused with the Holy Spirit at the time of his baptism (see Mark 1:9-11). A feast celebrating Christ's birth gave the church an opportunity to promote the intermediate view that Christ was divine from the time of his incarnation.[6] Mary, a minor figure for early Christians, gained prominence as the theotokos, or god-bearer. There were Christmas celebrations in Rome as early as 336. December 25 was added to the calendar as a feast day in 350.[6]

[edit]
Medieval Christmas and related winter festivals
Christmas soon outgrew the Christological controversy that created it and came to dominate the medieval calendar. The forty days before Christmas became the "forty days of St. Martin," now Advent. The fortieth day after Christmas was Candlemas. The Egyptian Christmas celebration on January 6 was adopted as Epiphany, one of the most prominent holidays of the year during Early Middle Ages. Christmas Day itself was a relatively minor holiday, although its prominence gradually increased after Charlemagne was crowned on Christmas Day, 800.

Although the nativity narrative is among the most compelling stories in the Bible, other Christian holidays such as Easter are more significant from a strictly religious point of view. The popularity of Christmas can be better understood if it is viewed as a form of winter celebration. Agricultural societies typically hold their most important festival in winter since there is less need of farm work at this time.

The Romans had a winter celebration known as Saturnalia. This festival was originally held on December 17 and honored Saturn, a god of agriculture. It recalled the "golden age" when Saturn ruled. In imperial times, Saturnalia was extended to seven days (December 17-23). Combined with festivals both before and after, the result was an extended winter holiday season. Business was postponed and even slaves feasted. There was drinking, gambling and singing naked. It was the "best of days," according to the poet Catullus.[7] With the coming of Christianity, Italy's Saturnalian traditions were attached to Advent (the forty days before Christmas). Around the 12th century, these traditions transferred again to the "twelve days of Christmas" (i.e. Christmas to Epiphany).[6]

Northern Europe was the last part to Christianize, and its pagan celebrations had a major influence on Christmas. Scandinavians still call Christmas Jul (Yule), originally the name of a twelve-day pre-Christian winter festival. Logs were lit to honor Thor, the god of thunder, hence the "Yule log." In Germany, the equivalent holiday is called Mitwinternacht (mid-winter night). There are also twelve Rauhnächte (harsh or wild nights).[8]

By the High Middle Ages, Christmas had become so prominent that chroniclers routinely note where various magnates "celebrated Christmas." King Richard II of England hosted a Christmas feast in 1377 at which twenty-eight oxen and three hundred sheep were eaten. The "Yule boar" was a common feature of medieval Christmas feasts. Aside from feasting, there was also caroling. This was originally a group of dancers who sang. There was a lead singer and a ring of dancers that provided the chorus. Various writers of the time condemn caroling as lewd, the dancing may have got out of hand now and then (harking back to the traditions of Saturnalia and Yule).[6] "Misrule" — drunkenness, promiscuity, gambling — was an important aspect of the festival. In England, gifts were exchanged on New Year's Day, and there was special Christmas ale.[6]

[edit]
The Reformation and modern times

Santa Claus hands out gifts to Union soldiers during the US Civil War in Thomas Nast's first Santa Claus cartoon, Harper's Weekly, 1863.During the Reformation, Protestants condemned Christmas celebration as "trappings of popery" and the "rags of the Beast". The Catholic Church responded by promoting the festival in a more religiously oriented form. When a Puritan parliament triumphed over the King Charles I of England (1644), Christmas was officially banned (1647). Pro-Christmas rioting broke out in several cities. For several weeks, Canterbury was controlled by the rioters, who decorated doorways with holly and shouted royalist slogans.[9] The Restoration (1660) ended the ban, but Christmas celebration was still disapproved of by the Anglican clergy (and, therefore, more thoroughly enjoyed by Catholics and Dissenters).

By the 1820s, sectarian tension had eased and British writers began to worry that Christmas was dying out. They imagined Tudor Christmas as a time of heartfelt celebration, and efforts were made to revive the holiday. The book A Christmas Carol (1843) by Charles Dickens played a major role in reinventing Christmas as a holiday emphasizing family, goodwill, and compassion (as opposed to communal celebration and hedonistic excess).[10] The phrase "Christmas tree" is first recorded in 1835 and represents the importation of a tradition from Germany, where such trees became popular in the late 18th century.[11] Queen Victoria and her German-born husband Prince Albert enthusiastically promoted Christmas trees, as well as the idea of placing gifts under them. The royal family's tree of 1848 was widely publicized and imitated. Christmas cards were first designed in 1843 and became popular in the 1860s.[11] The commercial calendar, created to answer children's questions concerning when Christmas would come, dates from 1851.

Father Christmas persuades the jury of his innocence in The Examination and Tryal of Father Christmas (1686) by Josiah KingThe Puritans of New England disapproved of Christmas and celebration was outlawed in Boston (1659-81). Virginia and New York, meanwhile, celebrated freely. Christmas fell out of favor after the American Revolution, when it was considered an "English custom". Interest was revived by Washington Irving's stories, by German immigrants, and by the homecomings of the Civil War years. It was declared a federal holiday in 1870.

Santa Claus is derived from Saint Nicholas, or Sinterklaas, who gave candy to the Dutch children on December 6. Dutch settlers in New York brought this tradition with them. Irving writes of Saint Nicholas "riding over the tops of the trees, in that selfsame waggon wherein he brings his yearly presents to children."[12] The connection between Santa Claus and Christmas was popularized by the poem "A Visit from Saint Nicholas" (1822) by Clement Clarke Moore, which depicts Santa driving a sleigh pulled by reindeer and distributing gifts to children. His image was created by German-American cartoonist Thomas Nast (1840-1902), who drew a new image annually beginning in 1863. By the 1880s, Nast's Santa had evolved into the form we now recognize. The image was standardized by advertisers in the 1920s.[13] Father Christmas is first recorded in the 15th century,[11] but was associated with holiday merrymaking and drunkenness until Victorian Britain remade his image to match that of Santa.

In the midst of World War I, there was a Christmas truce between German and British troops in France (1914). Soldiers on both sides spontaneously began to sing Christmas carols and stopped fighting. The truce began on Christmas Day and continued for some time afterward. There was even a soccer game between the trench lines in which Germany's 133rd Royal Saxon Regiment is said to have bested Britain's Seaforth Highlanders 3-2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Origin_of_holiday

There you go.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
For those who really want to know why Germany lost WWII its even simpler. It was let by idiots and madmen. Its army may have been well lead but not the country itself. Despite the protests of the Army they didn't enter into Warfooting until 1943, something every other nation (even america) had done since day 1 of the war in their own nations.

Add to that the insane urge to burn rescources committing genocide and Drug addicted psychos meddling their own hands in military matters without any idea of what they are doing (such as blocking the development of the Assault Rifle for years because and a fascination with "vengeance weapons")

Germany Started, and was doomed to lose the war because it was lead by Nazi's.

As for 2 billion Christians. That depends on how you define Christian. If you define it as everyone who checks christian on the census box then there are 2 billion, but many of them don't give a damn about christmas beyond presents.

If you only consider those who actually truly believe, your number is much lower, but they do truly care about the holiday.

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD
Researcher87 said:
..this is not in an issue of how you "spend" you time for the day! The issue is that Christmas in the "celebrated" birthday of Jesus Christ which is very important to us CHRISTIANS. If you do not believe in Christ that is your right and choice, but DO NOT try to change the meaning of the whole holiday to suit people such as yourself who don't believe. Why don't ya'll get your own holiday, I don't know, since you believe earth and all its' residents were created from dust and monkeys, have a MONKEY day , but leave CHristmas where it belongs, with the Christians.... And by the way, I am being sarcastic, so no offense I hope.....

Wrong. Christmas and it is well documented was stolen from the Pagans and changed into the Birth of Christ. No one know's when Jesus was even born, they don't know what year he was born either because there is no record of it.

So they cooked up this mumble jumble story of crap and said he was born on Chrsitmas day even though they stole the days from the Pagan Yule time.

Christmas is a time just for presents and nothing else, it holds no religious significance unless you are a Pagan.

WRONG!! That's what they want you to believe...and PAGANS are not religious..boy..is there no end to your idiocicy??? :lol: :oops:

Ummm..and exactly what are you giving GIFTS for on Christmas if there is no religious significance??? The whole idea of GIFT GIVING on CHRISTMAS is to celebrate the ULTIMATE GIFT of JESUS CHRIST..so you fools just randomly go spending BILLIONS of dollars EACH YEAR giving gifts for NOTHING??? LOL at you!!! That would make you pretty damn slow if you ask me............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD

Zzarchov said:
For those who really want to know why Germany lost WWII its even simpler. It was let by idiots and madmen. Its army may have been well lead but not the country itself. Despite the protests of the Army they didn't enter into Warfooting until 1943, something every other nation (even america) had done since day 1 of the war in their own nations.

Add to that the insane urge to burn rescources committing genocide and Drug addicted psychos meddling their own hands in military matters without any idea of what they are doing (such as blocking the development of the Assault Rifle for years because and a fascination with "vengeance weapons")

Germany Started, and was doomed to lose the war because it was lead by Nazi's.

As for 2 billion Christians. That depends on how you define Christian. If you define it as everyone who checks christian on the census box then there are 2 billion, but many of them don't give a damn about christmas beyond presents.

If you only consider those who actually truly believe, your number is much lower, but they do truly care about the holiday.

This is very true...there are many people who "classify" themselves as CHristian, but are not practicing and really don't care one way or the other. My family makes it a point to give gifts to people that are homeless on the street, or just struggling to make ends meet with children, pray for them and feed them of course. We try to do the latter two throughout the entire year, but of course, we don't want those to be forgotten on the day that is supposed to represent love and blessings.....

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

Perhaps you should stop trying to make the day seem like something it is not. Though it might have some history with Christ, for me and some others, it is a day to spend time with the family & friends, and has nothing to do with worshipping Christ. I'm not going to begin immersing myself in Christmas' relation with Christ as if it were some prerequisite to dropping a pine tree in my living room and hanging with my family!

I will respect the meaning's others apply to Christmas. I understand full well that others spend Christmas day differently than I, and have no problems with that.

Anyhow, the whole sarcastic reference to worshipping donkey's butts, and everything else, I don't take offense to, so no probs dude.

I disagree with Tamarin.

But Globalization is BS, and will casue more conflicts.

Hmm... I think I might see where you are coming from with that part about globalization being BS, though you've not yet said exactly how. There are good things and bad things. There are lots of different ways that globalization is said to be happening, lots of different facets to it...

But I'd say overall, the fact that I can be good friends with someone over in China or Argentina, and use today's technology to pursue that friendship whenever I like at the push of a button, is a pretty good aspect to what some might call globalization. This is just one example. There is so much more that can, and will, be done.

Of course, there are other aspects to globalization that ought to be discussed, but I'll save that for another time (or maybe thread), unless you wanna discuss that some more.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You can be anything, but Christmas is still Christmas. And Canada still has a history. Although it's increasingly forgotten.
The point is many Canadians are so anxious to embrace a new internationalist paradigm they don't understand what's being lost. And they don't care. Your identity as a country is tied up in your history, your heritage and your traditions. If you don't honour them, when hard times come - and they will - you won't have the internal strength to weather the challenges.
I'm 55. I knew Old Canada well. Today's Canada is far different. Tomorrow's Canada might be a greater leap into the unknown. And once you jump there's no going back.
Read Jack Granatstein's 'Who killed Canadian history?' Canada's pre-eminent historian nails our sorry state directly on the head.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
I think this question is like beating a dead horse.

Whatever is of any value in this Land of ours has been taken, assigned, plundered, given away or wastet long time ago.

There is no need to take the country by perceived enemies, even the population (the educated valuable part) is being moved and redirected to greener pastures.

Question should be how the citizen of Canada can retake what is theirs by right of living on Canadas soil.

Und don't assume you really own a part of Canada; property rights are extremly weak or not benefitting the current owner.
Look how what you think you own is loaded up with taxation and laws against you.

If all of Canadas resources would have been used in a resonable and sustainable way, secondary and subsequent industries spread around our various provinces to fill the need and demand of our nation, Canada would have the potential to be the "best" country in the world for a long time.
Not to mention the drastic need for much less Taxation to uphold the current status quo.

Not just for the ones reaping, partaking in the get-rich-quick scheme
now, but for all the working poor, disenfranchized fringe groups, first nations populations , left in the cold ones etc.

I am always amazed how willingly foreign investments and exploiting schemes are treated/invited/welcomed by our leaders and at the same time highly skilled immigrants( a real positive contribution to the creating of real GDP) pushed aside and left idle or delivering Pizza.

Any conquerer who can change and lead this Country to reach its potential
in a way to include us Citizen is much welcomed by me.

What do you think? Maybe ET is listening/reading! :roll:

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB
We've wargamed this before, and we think it could be defended... up until the mid 1920's, if the British Empire comes to our aid. Otherwise we're done for. Oh yah, there will be an insurgency, but yeah, militarily, we're screwed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You can be anything, but Christmas is still Christmas. And Canada still has a history. Although it's increasingly forgotten.
The point is many Canadians are so anxious to embrace a new internationalist paradigm they don't understand what's being lost. And they don't care. Your identity as a country is tied up in your history, your heritage and your traditions. If you don't honour them, when hard times come - and they will - you won't have the internal strength to weather the challenges.
I'm 55. I knew Old Canada well. Today's Canada is far different. Tomorrow's Canada might be a greater leap into the unknown. And once you jump there's no going back.
Read Jack Granatstein's 'Who killed Canadian history?' Canada's pre-eminent historian nails our sorry state directly on the head.

HERE HERE, absolutely correct. Take a bow.