Can Canada be totally conquered

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Conquest is really impossible in this day and age due to the power industrialization puts to asymetric warfare.

Only two nations on earth could erradicate Canada and still not quickly.

China and India, only through colonization and minimalization.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Researcher87 said:
Ah but you forget, that would be European Russia, then you would have the swampy Siberia and the desserty areas of Inner Russia, which yes thinner populated than European Russia, had its own little hints and tricks to trouble the german mechanic divisions.
The Germans were less than Interested in getting Siberia most russains dont evne live there. and The Germans were a fine oiled war machine, the reason they lost the war was ebcause of fighting on two fronts.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Please Torro, 500 men asking for Directions LOL like that is going to happen.

Pist, Torro did you see Rex's editorial yesterday in the Globe and Snail? Bloody spot on.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Researcher87 said:
That well oiled machine, that you talk about was impressive, but had lost the war after the Battle for Britain in what year was that? 1940-41?
Becuase they were fighting with Russia, if they took their airforce and boombed britana nd allt he troops theyhad in russia over to england, it would of been a huge victory for the germans.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Not exactly. Hitler was intent on Russia, while attacking Britain. but he continued this because the battle was already over in the first month or two. German plane costs were way higher than the RAF and British casualties were lower than German casualties after a month or two and even though Hitler through more resources at britain and if they had russian resources they may have caused more British casualites and allied casualties they were already done in the middle of the Russian campaign.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Researcher87 said:
Not exactly. Hitler was intent on Russia, while attacking Britain. but he continued this because the battle was already over in the first month or two. German plane costs were way higher than the RAF and British casualties were lower than German casualties after a month or two and even though Hitler through more resources at britain and if they had russian resources they may have caused more British casualites and allied casualties they were already done in the middle of the Russian campaign.
We have differant Opinons then, But if Hitler was smart he would of had a navl attack on Britain while giving large air support, and then have an invasion force keep flooding non stop untill Britain was conquerd, Come in from Scotland and dover. Droop troops into the fields around smaller towns. But they did waste many resources in Russia while wasteing almost as much in brtiant, now take russia out of the pot, and it is completley reasonable to beleave Germany could of taken Britain.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
It's possible. If they had the full force and then turned their attention to Russia after because they had that non-aggression agreement. But we will never no because history unravelled our way.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Eastside, I would fight back only under one condition: that those who had allowed this country to soften, to be the ghost of what it once was, be punished quickly, openly and severely. We could only attract conquest if an invader sensed us as weak. Are we strong today? Strong enough? With the US by us, of course. But without its intervention on our behalf we could easily be taken.
Why should any Canadian stand up for a country that even now refuses to honour its heritage and traditions? Once those responsible for our present condition are dealt with and out of the way, I think we can rally a feisty response to any invader.
But without the US it will be resolute but futile.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Although I do respect Canada's fighting spirit and the honour it has in fighting some important battles, I lost a great grandfather in WWI and several uncles and great uncles in WWII, but what kind of ideals are you talking about that Canada may be missing now.

It has reduced in its fighting honour to some, even though I and others think U.N peacekeeping isn't dishonourable at all.

But it also had the ideas in that time that women should remain at home, and have children instead of working.

Lack of respect between the french and English that is still there but is less then what it was like 40-60 years ago.

Silent racism to minorities that did well like the Japs, or the Chinese, and the East Indian riots.

And finally, no universiality of healthcare of a Charter of Rights and freedoms or a Bill of rights.

Which has changed as well as a new view of internationalism in Canada's youth. So what kind of values has Canada lost, because of the values listed I am happy Canada's youth are internationalists, that we have universiality, that we don't discriminate as much as before, and that women get to work and are not viewed as just babymakers. I am glad with a deverse country, and I wouldn't fight for anything else.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Re: RE: Can Canada be totally conquered

tamarin said:
Eastside, I would fight back only under one condition: that those who had allowed this country to soften, to be the ghost of what it once was, be punished quickly, openly and severely. We could only attract conquest if an invader sensed us as weak. Are we strong today? Strong enough? With the US by us, of course. But without its intervention on our behalf we could easily be taken.
Why should any Canadian stand up for a country that even now refuses to honour its heritage and traditions? Once those responsible for our present condition are dealt with and out of the way, I think we can rally a feisty response to any invader.
But without the US it will be resolute but futile.
Fair Enough, But Id now like to know how this Country is refuseing to Honor its Heritage and Traditions?

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
Are we strong today? Strong enough? With the US by us, of course. But without its intervention on our behalf we could easily be taken.

Relatively speaking, Canada is a powerful country. Its economy is very impressive, even when placed alongside most other developed nations.

Would it be that way without the US? Depends... We'd basically have to do the impossible and imagine alternative histories where it isn't affected by the USA as it is in this reality. This really is impossible to do, when we can't even make sense of this world that we actually live in.

Yes, an overwhelming amount of the trade and innovation, among other things present in our country today, is due to our neighbours below... In reality, much of our prestige can be attributed to them. Let's just try and use our imaginations for a second though and picture some other possibilities...

So in alternative world number one, if we were somewhere in South America, chances are good the nation would be little compared to how it is now. I can hardly go into better details than that, but it would make an interesting project for this forum to discuss just that. This merits more thought than the one sentence I give it, but I will continue on to the next alternative just to make my point.

World number two. What if the US didn't exist on the continent of North America? What if there was only what would become Canada?

Then what would you say about not having the United States around? We'd probably be insanely powerful as a nation. We would have an entire continent to ourselves, surrounded by two oceans, away from all of our enemies (except maybe Mexico, heh), with an even greater abundance of natural resources (much like the US enjoys today, along with us).

Of course, then again, we might still be a part of great Britain, but then again, potentially we might not be.

Same could also be said if the United States had all of Canada right from the start of things. It'd have all that much more.

This could make for an interesting discussion... but if there is a point to be made, it is that this sort of discussion is ultimately pointless. Still, it'd be fun, and that might be worthwhile, just as it seems to be worthwhile for some to discuss the potential of conquering Canada, and worthwhile for some to scoff at Canada's position because they think the only reason it was made powerful was from being neighbours with the US. When in fact, there are other reasons (geographical reasons, for example).

(Ceteris parabis applies as much as possible in my simply alternative worlds, of course)

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm glad I was born in the early 50's and was educated in a pre-Trudeau era. Canada had a strong sense of self despite the misgivings beginning even then. We knew who we were. We were a country steeped in Christian tradition and with strong ties to our European roots. Today as tribalism (also known under its euphemisms 'multiculturalism' and 'diversity') takes hold the threats to Canada's traditions increase year by year. History is a minor part of secondary curriculums now as it's not politically correct to ask newcomers to learn about the land they're adopting. Ontario has two history credits in its secondary institutions. Meanwhile, ethnic communities are continuing to press for separate governmental organizations and schools that reflect their values and heritage. The black community in Toronto has finally succeeded and has two schools now. A push by 30 well organized black community groups last fall in the city to force the government to set up a separate group of provincial ministries for blacks failed. But that was its first try. More will come. Likewise a push to enshrine sharia law in Ontario failed last year but the province's Muslim community will try again. We haven't said loudly and publicly enough that Canada is a nation and it doesn't need to answer to new Canadians or defer to their aspirations over that of the common good.
We're only a country of some 32 million but immigration patterns are in place that will create sizeable ethnic/minority positions in the future of peoples ('tribes') that have not be asked to integrate or assimilate. With numbers come confidence and pressure. And critical mass. We'll face major internal challenges in the future as well organized large groups in Canada seek a separate voice. Immigration data confirms the waves of immigration hitting Canada over the last twenty years are not becoming part of the common fabric, unlike previous migrants, and feel less attached to Canada than prior arrivals. That doesn't bode well.
Looking south the American southwest is rapidly becoming an extension of Mexico and the feds are just waking up to the dangers now.
We're sleepwalking. We're glad our kids are 'internationalists.' Whatever the hell that means.
You can't build a strong country by emphasizing difference.
The future especially that of 20 to 40 years from now will find us anxious, fractious and divided. I can't see it any other way.
And how can the centre hold when the whole is falling apart?

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
I disagree completely, tamarin.

I think the future will see us more united. Globalization is occuring in so many different ways, I'd love to dream of a day when nation-states are completely obsolete.

What is your solution? Close off the borders and crack down on everything 'non-white'? What the heck does 'black' mean? You are putting yourself at the same level as anyone who advocates opening an 'all-black' school.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
I am not christian, and I am not steeped in european traditions. I love the land I live on, and I love my community.

Does that still make one a failure?

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I agree humanbeing. Canada is changing, and I am glad that it is changing and being more diversive and more open. If you are afraid of white people, only 9 million Canadians are english speaking white people so in your logic that would be a minority.

Canada hasn't broken up though, and canada will remain together because they people I meet, who aren't white just want to be as Canadian as a white Canadians.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)

humanbeing said:
I am not christian, and I am not steeped in european traditions. I love the land I live on, and I love my community.

Does that still make one a failure?

No it does not. Canada is a largely diverse country, and I was humbled to see when I was in Shilo this summer, Muslims, Christians, Blacks, Whites, Chinese and others, Tamils joining to army airforce and navy and to work together to defend this country.

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD

CDNBear said:
I just got here and Sassy's kicking me in the nuts.

As much as our military is a dismal pittence compared to the states, I can assure you that we have, by a long shot, one of the most determined and formidable fighting forces known to man kind.

Even though the fiberals tried in vain to pussify our forces. They have remained a group not to be recond with. The men and women that enlist in our military are, for the most part, not career hunting, as the liberal advertising campain tried to depict the Armed Services to be full of. Some are humanitarians, and believe that sometimes aid most be delivered with a shove. Others are warriors, it was in their very blood at birth to become a soldier. If you ask a Canadian soldier why he/she does what they do. The majority will say, "Because, umm. It's what I do"

I fall into the latter, so does my youngest boy.

The States, despite its massive funding is still allowing petty criminals to skirt jail time by enlisting (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

This all falls into the same quagmire as our National identity. We don't need to find or force it with the CRTC. We forged it in the fires of the bellys of the boys that marched off to the first world war(LWF), the Courier Dubois cut it out of the belly of the beast that was the Canadian wild and helped forge a Nation. The Homme de norde, mapped it as they carved routes through unchartered territory. The many Nations that exsisted here before them helped lead the way, (To their detriment, to some extent).

Do I believe Canada could be conquered, inpart or in whole. A resounding NO.

That very fire that burned in the hearts of every man, woman and child that stood and was counted, whenever strife raised its head, in years gone by, still burns in most Canadians. Be they old, young, man, woman, or recent immagrant. If you truely believe in freedom, that fire would ignite in them, with the heat of the sun.

HEY..you are right!! Some people in jail HAVE been enlisted to the Armed Forces here. Is that necessarily a BAD thing?....Nawhhh..if you know the mean streets here in some of our cities (like DC, where is was born, or Baltimore, where I now live), you would understand why!! LOL!! These streets out here are crazier than any force we could deal with outside, so who better to fight than the ones that have been out there and are used to killing?? :lol:

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD

tamarin said:
I'm glad I was born in the early 50's and was educated in a pre-Trudeau era. Canada had a strong sense of self despite the misgivings beginning even then. We knew who we were. We were a country steeped in Christian tradition and with strong ties to our European roots. Today as tribalism (also known under its euphemisms 'multiculturalism' and 'diversity') takes hold the threats to Canada's traditions increase year by year. History is a minor part of secondary curriculums now as it's not politically correct to ask newcomers to learn about the land they're adopting. Ontario has two history credits in its secondary institutions. Meanwhile, ethnic communities are continuing to press for separate governmental organizations and schools that reflect their values and heritage. The black community in Toronto has finally succeeded and has two schools now. A push by 30 well organized black community groups last fall in the city to force the government to set up a separate group of provincial ministries for blacks failed. But that was its first try. More will come. Likewise a push to enshrine sharia law in Ontario failed last year but the province's Muslim community will try again. We haven't said loudly and publicly enough that Canada is a nation and it doesn't need to answer to new Canadians or defer to their aspirations over that of the common good.
We're only a country of some 32 million but immigration patterns are in place that will create sizeable ethnic/minority positions in the future of peoples ('tribes') that have not be asked to integrate or assimilate. With numbers come confidence and pressure. And critical mass. We'll face major internal challenges in the future as well organized large groups in Canada seek a separate voice. Immigration data confirms the waves of immigration hitting Canada over the last twenty years are not becoming part of the common fabric, unlike previous migrants, and feel less attached to Canada than prior arrivals. That doesn't bode well.
Looking south the American southwest is rapidly becoming an extension of Mexico and the feds are just waking up to the dangers now.
We're sleepwalking. We're glad our kids are 'internationalists.' Whatever the hell that means.
You can't build a strong country by emphasizing difference.
The future especially that of 20 to 40 years from now will find us anxious, fractious and divided. I can't see it any other way.
And how can the centre hold when the whole is falling apart?

Wow..sounds like Canada is going through what we are going through. I agree, America is slowly becoming "Mexico"...I mean, I don't have a problem with other nationalities coming here to enjoy, butwhen you move here and start trying to "change" everything to suit your own needs....doesn't that start tearing away at the very fiber of your country? The Muslims and Athiests want all the crosses gone because it "offends" them, the Mexicans want to get all of our jobs without becoming "legal" and paying taxes like the rest of us suckers do....WHEN does it END??? :roll: