JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
we'll vote NDP as we always have. whether they are the government or the opposition, they need to
be strong. bcers vote one in, then vote the other in, then back to the other, just tells me that
voters just want change for changes sake, and don't really pay much attention to what is reality.

governments always need a strong opposition, doesn't matter who is the government. When campbell
had such a big majority it was very scary, a true dictatorship for 4 years, not healthy at all.

that set up that campbell pulled on glen clarke was a joke, campbell in bed with the corporations and
the police made that very easy to railroad him out of his job as premier. it was so obvious that it
was all set up before hand, and once the dust settled after the courts dragged it out and out and out,
found clarke innocent, as he was all along.

i'll never forget that, and I won't forget the embarrassment of our premier, 'Campbell', driving around in hawaii,
D R U N K, what a joke.
If that had of happened to clarke, campbell would have rounded up a posse and had him thrown out, but
in campbell's case, a fake apology, and all was forgiven, nope, not really, we were disgusted.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Without a doubt, I will be voting NDP in this election, the days of these people currently
in charge need to end. They have lied repeatedly, they have run up bigger debts and
larger deficits than any other group that has been in power and even the current budget
is not anywhere near balanced and the time has come to throw them out

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Without a doubt, I will be voting NDP in this election, the days of these people currently
in charge need to end. They have lied repeatedly, they have run up bigger debts and
larger deficits than any other group that has been in power and even the current budget
is not anywhere near balanced and the time has come to throw them out

And I'd be in full agreement with you if I thought there is a ghost of a chance of getting something better, but there's not, so no use cutting off your nose to spite your face. -:)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Given the restricted corridor between P.R. and Terrace, do you think Prince Rupert is a wise choice? Better than Kitimat you think? That highway has to be one of the worst I've driven as far as major highways are concerned!
IIt's all all about the rail and the great arc.

P.R. is two days closer to Asia than Vancouver.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
No they are profitable, thanks to the likes of you and me, when you go to your grocer and buy a bag of flour, part of the cost of that flour is for shipping be it by truck, rail or rickshaw. -:)
Actually since the sale of BC rail the flour comes to us by truck. However delivering products is how both trucking and railroads make a profit. Yes we pay for groceries, and everything else we use, and then we taxpayers pay for the roads that are being destroyed by the tremendous volume of trucking.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually since the sale of BC rail the flour comes to us by truck. However delivering products is how both trucking and railroads make a profit. Yes we pay for groceries, and everything else we use, and then we taxpayers pay for the roads that are being destroyed by the tremendous volume of trucking.

You use the term "destroyed", as a former employee of the Ministry of Highways and knowing our highways are build to high standards, I would suggest "needing routine repair" would be a more appropriate term. While the trucks no doubt cause damage, the weather is probably an equally contributing factor. I also believe the use of trucks expedites delivery. I have no idea whether what the truck owners fork out in license fees and fuel taxes is adequate to cover the cost of repairs, but if the amount of maintenance required bothers you, you might check into it. Keep in mind that goods transported by rail, almost invariably use another type of transportation at each end. Shipping by truck is also much faster than by rail.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Christianna- It really matters not if we have H.S.T. P.S.T. G.S.T. or any two or all three combined! If there is a shortage of money the Gov't. just introduces another tax/fee/surcharge. Switching back from the H.S.T. to the G.S.T/P.S.T. could well be the stupidest thing we could do. When the offer was made to reduce the H.S.T. to 10% we should have jumped on it (albeit the benefit would probably only lasted until the election) -:)
You know since the HST has been removed I haven't paid too much attention to taxes, until yesterday. I went to Walmart, bought their deal of 3 magazines for $10.00, before with the HST the magazines were $11.and some change, yesterday they were $10.50, wow there was actually about a dollars difference. At our ages a dollar saved is a happy event. Yet they tried to tell us we weren't paying more in tax when they brought in the HST that the Liberals promised they wouldn't do. They of course changed back in time for the provincial election, so are we really fooled, do we really suddenly just love Christy Clarke?

You use the term "destroyed", as a former employee of the Ministry of Highways and knowing our highways are build to high standards, I would suggest "needing routine repair" would be a more appropriate term. While the trucks no doubt cause damage, the weather is probably an equally contributing factor. I also believe the use of trucks expedites delivery. I have no idea whether what the truck owners fork out in license fees and fuel taxes is adequate to cover the cost of repairs, but if the amount of maintenance required bothers you, you might check into it. Keep in mind that goods transported by rail, almost invariably use another type of transportation at each end. Shipping by truck is also much faster than by rail.
Sorry but you haven't seen the potholes we have to try to avoid around here. We had to go to the big city to the north of us a couple of days ago, damn near lost the car in some of those huge potholes. I am sure the government looks after the hwys at the coast, but those of us who live more than 100 miles from the border know they don't think we exist.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You know since the HST has been removed I haven't paid too much attention to taxes, until yesterday. I went to Walmart, bought their deal of 3 magazines for $10.00, before with the HST the magazines were $11.and some change, yesterday they were $10.50, wow there was actually about a dollars difference. At our ages a dollar saved is a happy event. Yet they tried to tell us we weren't paying more in tax when they brought in the HST that the Liberals promised they wouldn't do. They of course changed back in time for the provincial election, so are we really fooled, do we really suddenly just love Christy Clarke?

Sorry but you haven't seen the potholes we have to try to avoid around here. We had to go to the big city to the north of us a couple of days ago, damn near lost the car in some of those huge potholes. I am sure the government looks after the hwys at the coast, but those of us who live more than 100 miles from the border know they don't think we exist.

Yep, with politics in B.C. it's a matter of "Hobson's Choice"- probably most places as far as that goes. However I think come May 14 it might be a lot closer than some people think. Had Mike Farnsworth been made leader of the N.D.P. I think the party would fare better. It doesn't really matter I guess, they all do what they have to do to get elected, stay elected, wallow in the trough and draw the big pension. -:)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Save your $7, they are all too stupid to understand!
That's the point. I would have stayed there if it wasn't moonbeams, hillbillys and the few in the middle who like me tried to make sense of it all..

That's a bad combo.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
B.C. election campaign officially underway
Christy Clark asks lieutenant governor to dissolve parliament
CBC News Posted: Apr 16, 2013 10:04 AM PT Last Updated: Apr 16, 2013 11:37 AM PT Read 107 comments107
Aha, got the second Liberal phone call last night. No person on the other end just a recorded voice. I hung up not wasting my time with them!

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Liberals, go to the box for two minutes and feel shame. In the meantime we tolerate the NDP and hope they don't bollocks it up too badly. Commodities are hurting right now. That will probably have a bigger economic effect than whether or not we choose Liberal or NDP. Still, bread and circuses. Probably more circus than bread.